Reply To: Thoughts on Tenchi/Ryoko

Anonymous

AstroNerdBoy wrote:

You can blame Hasegawa-sensei’s influence for that. As I understand it, Kajishima-sensei didn’t want Aeka to be still hung up on Yosho in a romantic way, but Hasegawa-sensei, as script writer, added that element into the final version of the script because she saw Aeka as more of a tragic princess heroine. OVA 1 has three influences — Kajishima, Hasegawa, and Hayashi, which is why there are some inconsistencies

Well that’s why Hasegawa was a script writer, lol What was Kajishima going to do with Ayeka in any kind of important capacity? Hasegawa understood that the main characters should probably have more personality, even shallow ones, then just being plot points and trophies in a harem on screen.

shadowsfall0 wrote:

Universe-wise I always felt as if the show really was picking a side. It felt more blatantly obvious as to who he wanted towards the end, which is good and bad. Bad as in being that Ayeka never seemed to have much of a fighting chance.

See this is one thing that harem shows always get wrong, and ironically enough shows like Adventure Time and Regular Show are getting right (aka there’s more than DVD and Sales figures going into the writing of the show, lol)

This paragraph on AT might have spoilers so tread lightly, anyway, in the beginning of Adventure Time, Finn is infatuated with Princess Bubblegum, even to the point of loving her, but she turns him down for a couple of reasons, so Finn explores his other options (Marceline, Flame Princess) and so on. At one point Bubblegum has to confront the idea that maybe she likes Finn after all, but he’s already with Flame Princess, so they have a kerfuffle, this is great drama that explores open possibilities of multiple pairings, but also makes the show engaging on that front and gives the fans of all pairings what they want.

Tenchi is the perfect show for something like this, but they always play it too sterile because they are “afraid of hurting the fans” or Kajishima doesn’t care, well hell the fans have been hurt before and survived, how about we take the floaties off and actually get in the deep end huh? lol The times they attempted this, what happened? RYOKO BECAME A SPACE PIRATE AGAIN, and we had arguably the most touching moments between Ryoko and Ayeka (DoD), and Ryoko and Tenchi (TMiL2) EVER you want to tell me that THAT is a bad thing? (not you specifically shadow) HOWEVER, they still only went half in on the Tokyo one and never reciprocated that on Tenchi’s part (which I know many of us complained about in the Tokyo cast for).

So let’s say for instance, in OVA1, Tenchi outright picks Ryoko at first, or rather, accepts Ryoko’s affection despite the tender moments that Ayeka and him shared before. This breaks Ayeka’s heart, BUT it pushes her to grow as a character, she doesn’t need Tenchi to be happy, OR she decides to accept Seiryu’s hand in marriage, now Tenchi is feeling bad about it, so he speaks up, which could lead Ayeka to the finn moment I described above, but then Ryoko jumps in, etc, I mean it practically writes itself, and in a Universe as big as Tenchi, this could lead to all kinds of great space battles, and all of the adventure and action we love, but also giving us drama and character development. What do we love to watch more? World War 2 or the Cold War? WW2 because shit happened and it was exciting both positively and negatively, (and I’m sure Chuck will chime in and tell me that things did happen in the Cold War, but they weren’t as exciting “war wise” as World War 2).