Reply To: Tenchiforum Episode 60.5 – 振り返り (Looking Back)

Forums Tenchi Muyo! Discussion Anime Tenchiforum Episode 60.5 – 振り返り (Looking Back) Reply To: Tenchiforum Episode 60.5 – 振り返り (Looking Back)

drillmaster
    I’d like to second everyone here by thanking everyone involved with the translations for the show. You guys did a fantastic job and made my mornings/ nights better by knowing I’d have some Tenchi love. Bravo guys.

The show itself…overall, I’d say I enjoyed the show. It took a bit of getting used to for sure. When nearly the first thing that happens is a panty gag, it kind of makes you worried. I’d say by the time we first saw Ayeka and Ryoko again was when I really started getting warmed up to the show. The new girls took a bit more to get used to, but that full week of Indiana Jones action really got me to like them all. Honestly, by the end the only girl I didn’t really care about was Touri. It seemed to me that she had the least amount of depth to her character, All she really did was spout statistics and lust after Sasami…which was weird. My favorite of the new girls was Hachiko. Again, due to the running length we never really go to know the depths of her character, but she was very amusing and was great to see on screen.

My biggest issue with the show was hands down the lack of depth that the characters showed. We do not know what makes them tick. I chalk this up to the short running time and the lack of exposure for the characters. I can forgive it and hope that the novel adds a bit more to each character besides a personality trait. I also had an issue with the Feudal Ryoko subplot which never got aswered. I hope the novel addresses it, since I’m not sure what it meant. Still, it was worth it to see her old look and to have Mihoshi come and fight her.

Oh, don’t get me started on that asanine filler that was the school fair. Sumo butt bumping…what the hell wth2

If I had to pick my top 5 favorite moments, they would be this:

5) The end of the fair with Sasami cooking and all of the characters coming together. I felt it was a nice mixing of old and new.

4) The first episode with the old girls, just because we all missed em!

3) Mihoshi capturing Washu. God, that was such a great moment. I know Mihoshi betrayed the group, but still, that was fantastic.

2) The Indiana Jones episodes, for being a legitimately great run of consecutive episodes that told a great story.

1) Yakuza Ryoko. That swagger…that design…awesome.

I do have to give an honorable mention to the final episode, for just being so damn Tenchi. Ryoko sitting on the shrine, Mihoshi in plain clothes, Sasami cooking, Ryo-Ohki…what a great finale.

I’m going to miss this show and I hope that there is some kind of continuation in the future. This was a great little ride while it lasted. Thank you again Nil, Crazed, Dagon, and Titan. You all brought joy to our Fall.