A New Continuity

• This topic is empty.
    Participant
    none
    The Tenchi gang is dear to the hearts of all fans of Tenchi. But there will be a time when they need to be put to rest before they are just overused to death. Kajishima doujins are just of the gangs retirement from the adventures they had and just a ordinary family life they are living. An entirely new set of characters would have to be introduced if the series is to be carried on for years to come. Tenchi is (as often said) a space-opera and archetype harem series, there is a chance for it to be succeeded and still bring in the Tenchi fans with it’s own vibe. Tenchi is never just been one thing it’s a lot of things put together in a way that everyone enjoys. A good storyline with the new characters could preserve the Tenchi franchise.

Thoughts and critique

Viewing 176 reply threads
  • Replies
      Anonymous

Ukinojo92 wrote:

The Tenchi gang is dear to the hearts of all fans of Tenchi. But there will be a time when they need to be put to rest before they are just overused to death.

Firstly, very interesting post Ukinojo, but I don’t think Tenchi will ever get to that point anymore, the content (especially anime wise) is spread so far apart that I don’t think it can be overused.

Ukinojo92 wrote:

Kajishima doujins are just of the gangs retirement from the adventures they had and just a ordinary family life they are living. An entirely new set of characters would have to be introduced if the series is to be carried on for years to come.

But there-in lies the problem, nobody wants to see new characters carry the name, people never have, the brand name “Tenchi Muyo!” is associated with 8 to 10 unique characters, and if those characters aren’t there, it doesn’t matter how good it is, they’ll still crave the old cast.

A number of different franchises have tried it over the years, Scooby-doo tried it, Looney Tunes tried it, hell even Disney has tried it a few times, and when it’s all said and done, it always comes back to the classics, because ultimately, that’s what people came to it in the first place and fell in love with it for.

Ukinojo92 wrote:

Tenchi is (as often said) a space-opera and archetype harem series, there is a chance for it to be succeeded and still bring in the Tenchi fans with it’s own vibe. Tenchi is never just been one thing it’s a lot of things put together in a way that everyone enjoys. A good storyline with the new characters could preserve the Tenchi franchise.

Thoughts and critique

If you want new characters with a Tenchi feel, the last thing you want to do is put the Tenchi name on it, all that does is water down the brand name (pretty much to the point where Tenchi was a few years ago).

If you want to do that, make it a “Spiritual Sequel” ala El-Hazard.

I think now more than ever a reboot would be good for Tenchi, better yet, make one final movie, regardless of continuity and just “end” Tenchi, then Reboot Tenchi without all of the baggage it’s been carrying for 20 years, creating a line in the sand so that people know from that point on “This IS the Tenchi line for the future, if you want anything before it, there’s one final movie and move on” so that everyone else who continues on with Tenchi is on the same page.

Yukinojo
      Participant
      none

Quote:

Dagon123 Wrote:

I think now more than ever a reboot would be good for Tenchi, better yet, make one final movie, regardless of continuity and just “end” Tenchi, then Reboot Tenchi without all of the baggage it’s been carrying for 20 years, creating a line in the sand so that people know from that point on “This IS the Tenchi line for the future, if you want anything before it, there’s one final movie and move on” so that everyone else who continues on with Tenchi is on the same page.

What kind of format would Tenchi be coming back as? So far Tenchi has been OVA’s, novels, full length tv series, manga, movies, doujins, 5 minute episodes, and from somewhere on this site, a comic strip. Spiritual successor or reboot, which would it do good on, and how long would it have to run for in order for people to get acquainted to recognize as the current content, that would standalone in the Tenchi-verse.

OVA’s are not the thing anymore, the 5 min eps were too small, and the novels, manga, doujins don’t get translated quickly, until fan does it. Don’t know of anyone besides Tenchi fans that would see a movie, and if it is most likely a standard tv series would it be a 26 or 13 ep length? I could see them making a 13 ep season just to dap everyone into the series, the first two OVA’s add up to 13 eps and everyone remembers those.

A standard 26 episode series would be a little daring in my opinion. True, Tenchi’s formula is throw everything in a mix an not keep still. However, I think a 13 ep would satisfy a new start and make everyone want more which would create a regulated flow of seasons.

Thoughts and Critique

I thought that was the whole reason we got series like War on Geminar in the first place.

It’s Tenchi without having any of the regular characters in it.

Yukinojo
      Participant
      none

mitsuki lover wrote:

I thought that was the whole reason we got series like War on Geminar in the first place.

It’s Tenchi without having any of the regular characters in it.

Yeah I thought so too, but then Kajishima sunk that boat with his doujin’s, with Kenshi doing every girl and their mom’s. Kajishima is trying to sink the Tenchi at whatever chance there is, intentionally or not is debatable. If you want a new series, look towards Negishi as the franchises savior.

Insert Negishi picture with a halo and light coming around him here.

wwwwhhhhoooo
      none

Ukinojo92 wrote:

Yeah I thought so too, but then Kajishima sunk that boat with his doujin’s, with Kenshi doing every girl and their mom’s.

Pretty much, at least I’m willing to bet. Geminar could still have a sequel in some form, and I’d enjoy it, but you wouldn’t be seeing all of what’s in those doujins (unless it’s produced as hentai, and even then it wouldn’t have the budget that the first series had). But that’s neither here nor there for the topic of this post, I apologize and digress.

You’re hitting a lot of stuff square on the nose, Ukinojo. We’re right at the precipice of something, we just don’t know what; and whether one wants to use the term “savior” or not (I’m not opposed), Negishi’s running things artistically now and thus far appears to be slated to be just that. We’ll see what he plans to do with this possible re-release of TMiL and an alternate ending.

But as far as the “start anew” approach, I think a lot of fans and the producers and the artists have all come to the same conclusion in some form or another because that is the inevitable endpoint: there’s precedence for it, Tenchi is diverse enough to pull it off, it’s its best chance of being commercially viable again, and it’s outright needed. Ai Tenchi Muyo! has been just that: a new start. It wasn’t connected to any of the continuities, tried to free itself from all the baggage, and threw in new characters for the ‘next generation’ feel while keeping the classic cast out of necessity.

Is the five minute format enough to do Tenchi justice? No. But the reason we got that was, as you said Ukinojo, twenty something episodes for TV would have been far too ambitious, and may still be yet. What does that leave us? Well, there’s the movie realm, and hearing about how Negishi has wanted to do a TMiL 3 since 2009 makes me believe that’s where he’ll aim next. If it ends up being just that, it won’t be a new continuity, but renewed interest in the franchise could lead to just that: a legit reboot, and a much needed fresh start.

Yukinojo
      Participant
      none

Quote:

wwwwhhhhoooo wrote:

Well, there’s the movie realm, and hearing about how Negishi has wanted to do a TMiL 3 since 2009 makes me believe that’s where he’ll aim next. If it ends up being just that, it won’t be a new continuity, but renewed interest in the franchise could lead to just that: a legit reboot, and a much needed fresh start.

Like I said before A movie would be only viewed by a fan audience. It’s not Miyazaki, the movie that everyone wants to see because Miyazaki made it, and then see it to realize why they love it. The only way I see a movie for Tenchi to bring in new crowds is to make awesome trailers or teasers. Tenchi got small promos and posters for it’s anime, a couple of 1 minute teasers for movies like iL2, which in my opinion wasn’t a real eye grabber. Even Ai only had posters localize to Takahashi city, they would need to somehow broadcast like a box office movie to make it notice by a lot.

The big question with any new continuity is are you making it a reboot or a completely new series?

In a reboot you keep the original characters but maybe give them a bit of a facelift like the Abrams’

Star Trek.In a completely new series you start from scratch.

susano
      It is not going to be easy to develop a new continuity. I do like the ideal of a new Tenchi series which starts before Ryoko’s appearance. In my series, Ryoko is a space pirate working for the Space Pirate Guild. The Space Pirate Guild is a guild of privateers who have a major connection with Jurai. The Guild is more of a mystery. It does harass some Galaxy Police and private cargo vessels on occasion.

Ryoko comes to Earth in order to contact Katsuhito. Before Ryoko was able to reach the Earth, she runs into Mihoshi and Kiyone. Assuming that Ryoko is a space pirate, Kiyone and Mihoshi start to chase Ryoko’s ship. Ryoko is unable to contact Kiyone and Mihoshi because of the nature of her mission. After a brief battle, Ryoko’s ship and Mihsohi and Kiyone’s ships are damage. Both ships head for a remote area of Okayama Prefecture.

On his way home from school, Tenchi Masaki sees both ships coming from the skies. Ryoko’s ship crashes close to the lake near Tenchi’s home and the Masaki Shrine. First, Tenchi had assumed that Ryoko’s ship was a private airplane. When Tenchi arrives at the crash site, he sees Ryoko lying unconscious on the ground next to her ship. Tenchi runs to Ryoko. After Tenchi gives Ryoko some water, she wakes up. When Ryoko sees Tenchi, she asks him where Katsuhito Masaki is in an alien language. Then Ryoko is able to speak in Tenchi’s native language.

Tenchi’s grandfather Katsuhito Masaki and his younger sister Achika arrive at the crash site. Katsuhito is able to identified Ryoko. Achika tells Tenchi that they must head straight for the house. As soon as Tenchi asks Achika why, a mecha attacks Ryoko, Tenchi, Achika, and Ryoko. Katsuhito tries to convince the pilot to stop his attack. After the pilot fails to listen to Katsduhito’s command, he attacks the mecha with a bokken. While Kstsuhito continues to fight the mecha, Ryoko, Achika, and Tenchi take the opportunity to run from the area.

The three of them run into Kiyone. When Kiyone notices Ryoko, she apologies to her for attacking her ship. Ryoko informs Kiyone that her partner needs to be stop. Kiyone tells Ryoko about her partner Mihoshi is not the mecha’s pilot. Then the four watch Katsuhito defeat the mecha. Then another mecha appears. The pilot of the second mecha is Mihoshi. Mihoshi fires a EMP ray at the first mecha.

When Katsuhito walks up to Kiyone and the others, he informs Kiyone that her partner Mihoshi had done the right thing by imobilizing the first mecha. Kiyone informs Katsuhito that Mihoshi and she must arrest the pilots of the first mecha. Then Tenchi asks his grandfather about what has just happen. Katsuhito reminds Tenchi that he needs to talk to Ryoko before he is able to explain what has just happen to him. Achika informs Ryoko about her mother is waiting for her back at the house. Tenchi is still confused.

Katsuhito tells Ryoko that only his granddaughter Achika knows what has just happen. While Mihoshi gets out of the second mecha, Kiyone arrests the two pilots of the first mecha. Katsuhito, Ryoko, Achika, and Tenchi head for the house.

kain2-1 gendo1

I like that.It makes a whole lot of sense.Especially Tenchi originally mistaking Ryoko’s ship for an

airplane.Good job.Susano gets a gold star. mmhmm1

Yukinojo
      Participant
      none
      It sounds like susano’s continuity would show Ryoko in a the main protagonist-ish light. It is usually the main character Tenchi first, or in other anime’s the main character introduced immediately. A change of set up, the other characters before the main one. Tenchi does change how it is, it would be nice change, plus the show is mostly of the girls, we would be just following them before we meet Tenchi and get to know them a little better.
      But the only problem with introducing the girls before Tenchi is the fact that he is the main and title

character.

Yukinojo
      Participant
      none

mitsuki lover wrote:

But the only problem with introducing the girls before Tenchi is the fact that he is the main and titlecharacter.

Baccano did something similar, introducing characters before the main-ish one, sort of.

That’s a bit unusual though since the main characters are usually all introduced by the first three or four episodes.
      Anonymous

Ukinojo92 wrote:

What kind of format would Tenchi be coming back as? So far Tenchi has been OVA’s, novels, full length tv series, manga, movies, doujins, 5 minute episodes, and from somewhere on this site, a comic strip. Spiritual successor or reboot, which would it do good on, and how long would it have to run for in order for people to get acquainted to recognize as the current content, that would standalone in the Tenchi-verse.

If we’re asking what it would do good on, it’s done well in every format, the problem there isn’t the format but the writing.

If we’re talking about the current anime environment, it is almost certainly going to be a TV series 13 episodes at roughly 24 minutes (including OP and ED), a movie would be the next possibility. Any other format is far less common now then it’s been in the past.

Ukinojo92 wrote:

OVA’s are not the thing anymore, the 5 min eps were too small, and the novels, manga, doujins don’t get translated quickly, until fan does it. Don’t know of anyone besides Tenchi fans that would see a movie, and if it is most likely a standard tv series would it be a 26 or 13 ep length? I could see them making a 13 ep season just to dap everyone into the series, the first two OVA’s add up to 13 eps and everyone remembers those.

A standard 26 episode series would be a little daring in my opinion. True, Tenchi’s formula is throw everything in a mix an not keep still. However, I think a 13 ep would satisfy a new start and make everyone want more which would create a regulated flow of seasons.

It’ll be interesting to see how things proceed into the future, but I think Tenchi will still continue to be (and for good measure) anxious about putting time and money into “big” projects, even a 26 episode series.

Tenchi is in better shape now than it was a few years ago, but it still has a long way to go.

Yukinojo
      Participant
      none

mitsuki lover wrote:

That’s a bit unusual though since the main characters are usually all introduced by the first three or four episodes.

The show is focused more on the girls than tenchi, I think they made a joke about In the manga. Tenchi is the main protagonist, but the hijinks are usually caused by one of the girls first. I don’t think we would really see much of a difference, maybe slightly from a scene view but not much.

That’s probably why the English translation for one of the manga is: No Need For Tenchi!
      Yukinojo
      Participant
      none

mitsuki lover wrote:

That’s probably why the English translation for one of the manga is: No Need For Tenchi!

https://tenchiforum.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Tenchi-Muyo-Vol.07 -Ch.01-005.jpg" />

straight from Washu’s lines and her giving the rundown.

Now that it comes to mind, in the anime Tenchi has never broken the 4th wall before. In the manga it does some breaking, but in the anime there is none. I think Tenchi, if renew in anime, could do a new spin of breaking the wall, I think tenchi could pull it off.

That be rather fun.Though I could see Mihoshi being the one doing it most of the time.
      Yukinojo
      Participant
      none

mitsuki lover wrote:

That be rather fun.Though I could see Mihoshi being the one doing it most of the time.

I was wrong, they did do it in the OVA 3 between Washu and Nobuyuki. But I don’t really count the third OVA, with it’s flaws.

I don’t think too many fans do as it is after all the Star Trek V of the Tenchi franchise,and even Roddenberry ended up disowning the fifth movie IIRC.
      Anonymous

Ukinojo92 wrote:

mitsuki lover wrote:

I was wrong, they did do it in the OVA 3 between Washu and Nobuyuki. But I don’t really count the third OVA, with it’s flaws.

Now that I think about this more, going along with rebooting the franchise, why don’t we just throw every character from every continuity into a reboot?

Now you’ll say “But how would that work? Wouldn’t there be too many characters?”

Only if the only thing that makes those characters interesting is Tenchi himself, I would be ok with Kiyone, Noike, and Mihoshi being a team, if they were GP officers first and didn’t stay at the Masaki house (much like in Universe).

And really with a fresh restart, and all these new characters, you could easily revisit many scenarios throughout each continuity in the form a couple episodes or longer 4 or 5 episode arcs (like introducing Mayuka into the household, Tenchi going to Tokyo, Time and Space Adventures, etc)

Certain characters would have to be merged with other characters and reworked a little, but I’d love to see that, because it would be the same characters we know, but not quite the same way we saw them before.

Yukinojo
      Participant
      none

Dagon123 wrote:

Ukinojo92 wrote:mitsuki lover wrote:That be rather fun.Though I could see Mihoshi being the one doing it most of the time.I was wrong, they did do it in the OVA 3 between Washu and Nobuyuki. But I don’t really count the third OVA, with it’s flaws.Now that I think about this more, going along with rebooting the franchise, why don’t we just throw every character from every continuity into a reboot?Now you’ll say “But how would that work? Wouldn’t there be too many characters?”Only if the only thing that makes those characters interesting is Tenchi himself, I would be ok with Kiyone, Noike, and Mihoshi being a team, if they were GP officers first and didn’t stay at the Masaki house (much like in Universe).And really with a fresh restart, and all these new characters, you could easily revisit many scenarios throughout each continuity in the form a couple episodes or longer 4 or 5 episode arcs (like introducing Mayuka into the household, Tenchi going to Tokyo, Time and Space Adventures, etc)Certain characters would have to be merged with other characters and reworked a little, but I’d love to see that, because it would be the same characters we know, but not quite the same way we saw them before.

A scenario for a new continuity, Washu’s machine somehow bridges alternate versions of themselves and must work together to fix the problems in their universe before they collapse. That would allow new characters and a dust off of old story arcs and refreshed.

Kind of like Crisis On Infinite Earths.

I think if we’re doing a complete reboot on the entire Tenchi Moyu! Multiverse we’re gonna need to have MS sit on the lever again!(btw…what is it with that girl and sitting on levers?)

Seriously though would this be only for the titles with the main Tenchi cast or would it be

involving the entire Multiverse including shows such as Dual and El Hazard?

Yukinojo
      Participant
      none

mitsuki lover wrote:

Kind of like Crisis On Infinite Earths.I think if we’re doing a complete reboot on the entire Tenchi Moyu! Multiverse we’re gonna need to have MS sit on the lever again!(btw…what is it with that girl and sitting on levers?)Seriously though would this be only for the titles with the main Tenchi cast or would it beinvolving the entire Multiverse including shows such as Dual and El Hazard?

Dual Reboots are Dual Reboots, Tenchi reboots are Tenchi reboots, but references can be made or 5 second cameos.

But since the Dual OVA aka episode 14 reveals that it does take place within the

Tenchi Universe continuum *Koff* Kiyone’s Appearance *Koff* wouldn’t such a reboot of

at least Tenchi Universe affect Dual or at least the last Dual World that we see?

Yukinojo
      Participant
      none

mitsuki lover wrote:

But since the Dual OVA aka episode 14 reveals that it does take place within the

Tenchi Universe continuum *Koff* Kiyone’s Appearance *Koff* wouldn’t such a reboot of

at least Tenchi Universe affect Dual or at least the last Dual World that we see?

No, I wouldn’t think so. Unless they plan to make a reboot of Dual along with a reboot of Tenchi, but I could only see a slight reference not a direct or indirect action with the two series.

Cardboard Marty
      Participant
      none

Ukinojo92 wrote:

Now that it comes to mind, in the anime Tenchi has never broken the 4th wall before. In the manga it does some breaking, but in the anime there is none. I think Tenchi, if renew in anime, could do a new spin of breaking the wall, I think tenchi could pull it off.

I think the manga did humor the best. Tenchi is a blank slate, he’s bland, he’s boring, but I guess that’s supposed to be part of his charm? I don’t know. Clearly the gals are the central focus of the show, Tenchi is the audience surrogate who is confused at all the wacky hijinx.

I wouldn’t mind seeing a new continuity that’s lighter on the fanservice but a bit more comedy-oriented. The manga (which I will praise until the end of time, clearly) had the perfect balance between comedy, romance, and action. Seriously, grab Okuda and have him write a new series. I bet it’ll be fantastic.

Agreed. He did do some fantastic stories in the manga.
      Yukinojo
      Participant
      none
      Ok, so from I can sum up so far, for format wise is a 12 or 13 episode season. Possibly 15 to 24 minute length episodes. It seems like a lot of time for Tenchi, I mean in Universe it went from peaceful to crazy in the first 5 minutes. With this kind of formatting would give Tenchi a decent start in this modern generation anime.
      Ryoko can do it all by herself in zero seconds flat!

But I do believe that 15-25 minutes is the usual length of time for an anime episode minus commercial breaks.

Yukinojo
      Participant
      none
      Episode structure:

1-4 eps characters introduction

5-8 eps some randomness and fun

9-12,13 eps main antagonist, build up and climax and finish

I think the main antagonist should be introduced sooner though. Perhaps around episode 5 or 6.

That way you can get to the meat of the series sooner.

Yukinojo
      Participant
      none

mitsuki lover wrote:

I think the main antagonist should be introduced sooner though. Perhaps around episode 5 or 6.

That way you can get to the meat of the series sooner.

Maybe ep 7 it’s about half of the season a good time to start serious plot

Split the difference and have it at episode 6.
      Yukinojo
      Participant
      none

mitsuki lover wrote:

Split the difference and have it at episode 6.

7 and throw in a 6.5 bridge ep

Sounds good. Though instead of a new character let’s have some fun and have it turn out that one of the girls is the Big Bad…kinda like Evil Kiyone.
      Yukinojo
      Participant
      none

mitsuki lover wrote:

Sounds good. Though instead of a new character let’s have some fun and have it turn out that one of the girls is the Big Bad…kinda like Evil Kiyone.

How about Ayeka? Pii has stuff on an her that would be good.

Actually I am still in love with the idea of a Dark Sasami series where Sasami goes over to the Dark

Side. I mean she’d be perfect as a villainness. Think about it: who has access to every place in the

Masaki house? Who does all the housework? Who does all the cooking? Who is the least likely to

be suspected?

Yukinojo
      Participant
      none
      Actually that could lead off from, if going off tsunami being present in Sasami, a personality conflict. A goddess vs mortal fight.
      Maybe because of Tsunami she’s really a bit unstable but no-one not even Tsunami is aware of it.
      Yukinojo
      Participant
      none
      What would be a good villain name for evil an Sasami?
      Well they didn’t change Sailor Mercury’s name in PGSM when she went over to the Dark Side

temporarily. She simply got called Dark Mercury. So Dark Sasami but if that doesn’t work how about

something like Imasas or Masasi, or something else that would be an anagram of her regular name.

Yukinojo
      Participant
      none
      Villian names for Sasami for a continuity

Dark Sami

Isa

Sim asa

Missa

Simas

Massi

Yukinojo
      Participant
      none
      Sam

Ami

Mass

Sis

To steal an idea from Doctor Who: Missy!

So maybe Dark Sasami is really another female form of the Master?!

Yukinojo
      Participant
      none
      Re reading the All New Tenchi Muyo Manga, there is a instance where Sasami and Tsunami fight each other in Vol 10. A possibility of a story arc is Sasami is taping in Tsunami’s power recklessly and causes a split personality to form and go out of control.
      That would be interesting to see.
      Yukinojo
      Participant
      none
      A new story arc: a branch of the Jurai Royal Family tries to make a power play for the throne
      susano
      A series similar to the OVA series. In this series, Tenchi Masaki learns about his Jurain heritage after he finds that he is betrothed to two princesses from the Jurain Royal Family. One of the princesses is Ayeka Masaki. The second one is from the house of Tatsuki. Ryoko falls in love with Tenchi in the series. She must compete with Ayeka. Strangely, Tenchi’s second fiancée likes Ryoko despite her being a pain in the neck on occasion.

Mihoshi is still a character in the series. She happens to be hired by the Jurain Royal Family to be one of the two G.P. bodyguards of Tenchi’s Jurain fiancées. She is a member of a prestigious Seniwan Family. The second bodyguard is Kiyone. She is a member of a prestigious Seniwan family. She is a friend of Mihoshi’s. Kiyone pretends to be a housekeeper and maid. Mihoshi seems to be only tagging along, but she is a fine cop. Oddly, she is pretending to be a gardener and very good at it. Unfortunately, Mihsohi is not good at cooking and housekeeping.

Sasami is Ayeka’s sister. She comes to Earth with her sister Ayeka. Sasami develops a crush on Tenchi. Sasami helps Kiyone with the housekeeping and cooking after school, and when she is not in school.

Washu is the tutor for Ayeka, Sasami and Tenchi’s second fiancée. She happens to be a famous Galaxy Academy professor. Considers herself to be one of the greatest scientists in the known Universe. Her ego is similar to Universe’s Washu and Ryo-Ohki’s Washu. She sets up a very large subspace lab. Also, she is Ryoko’s mother.

Katsuhito is a lot like his Ryo-Ohki and Universe counterparts. He is married to two women. Both of them are still alive. One of his two wives wants to start another family. Nobuyuki is a lot like his counterparts from Tenchi in Tokyo, Ryo-Ohki, and Universe. Nobuyuki is married to his second wife. Her name is Rea. She is a lot like Rea from Ryo-Ohki. Both Nobuyuki and Rea are Otaku.

Tenchi has four sisters, two older sisters and two younger sisters who happen to be identical twins. He has a half brother whose name is Kenshi.

The house in the new series was designed and built by Nobuyuki. While Nobuyuki lives and works in Kurashiki City, he allows Tenchi to live in the house with his maternal grandparents. Oddly, the house is sort of a hotel. The guests of the hotel happen to come from outer space.

kiyonesmile1 picard1

Yukinojo
      Participant
      none
      How much time would be needed for Tenchi to be reintroduced properly and not as Ai was, a tourist advertisement show.
      wwwwhhhhoooo
      none

Ukinojo92 wrote:

How much time would be needed for Tenchi to be reintroduced properly and not as Ai was, a tourist advertisement show.

What do you mean how much time? Could you elaborate? While you’re at it, could you elaborate on “reintroduced properly”? Eleven minutes? Twenty-two minute format? Forty? An hour? A feature-length film? Because for example, despite its longer-than-usual episode format (and the fact it wasn’t a tourist attraction), War on Geminar never really made me feel anything emotionally; but in the span of a single episode of Ai–which I needn’t remind anyone here, is only approx. four minutes–on multiple occasions I would go from lighthearted mirth and joy all the way over to manly man tears of sadness.

Meant to garner attraction for tourists? Sure. Highly unorthodox, shorter-than-usual episode format? Yup. But if Ai Tenchi Muyo! isn’t Tenchi done “proper” after all these years (and hurdles the franchise has overcome), I don’t know what is.

*steps off soapbox

Just sayin…but anyway folks feel free to sidestep, resume normal traffic flow, etc.

Yukinojo
      Participant
      none

wwwwhhhhoooo wrote:

What do you mean how much time? Could you elaborate? While you’re at it, could you elaborate on “reintroduced properly”?

Tenchi has been going through a cycle: early 1990’s, early 2000’s, 2009-10, 2014-5. When Tenchi surges, it’s almost within decade sort of. What I mean, is it too soon or is it long enough for Tenchi to resurge after a Tenchi series came out.

Anonymous

Ukinojo92 wrote:

wwwwhhhhoooo wrote:

What do you mean how much time? Could you elaborate? While you’re at it, could you elaborate on “reintroduced properly”?

Tenchi has been going through a cycle: early 1990’s, early 2000’s, 2009-10, 2014-5. When Tenchi surges, it’s almost within decade sort of. What I mean, is it too soon or is it long enough for Tenchi to resurge after a Tenchi series came out.

Is it time for a resurgence? You’re living a resurgence right now.

Yukinojo
      Participant
      none

Dagon123 wrote:

2016 or 2017 seems like a fair time for a full series resurgence of Tenchi, I don’t know, it just feels like that.

Maybe 2018 at the latest in order to let Ai have more time in the sun.

btw: how long was it between OVA 1 and Universe? 2 or 3 years?

Yukinojo
      Participant
      none

mitsuki lover wrote:

: how long was it between OVA 1 and Universe? 2 or 3 years?

OVA 1 was in 1992 and Universe was in 95′ so about 3 years

So then if we wanted to follow the example of the first OVA and Universe 2018 would be about right for a new series.
      susano

mitsuki lover wrote:

Maybe 2018 at the latest in order to let Ai have more time in the sun.

btw: how long was it between OVA 1 and Universe? 2 or 3 years?

I predict one of the next Tenchi series to focus on Tenchi’s oldest son. A propose title for the series is TENCHI MUYO: THE NEXT GENERATION. Oddly, one of the best years for TM: TNG is 2020. Tokyo will be hosting the Olympics in 2020. The series can go along with the Olympics. My suggested year will be 2019. Tenchi’s oldest son will be a freshman in the first episode of the series

I want the mother of Tenchi’s oldest son to be Ayeka. His mother is more likely going to Noike since she is Tenchi’s (first) fiancee. Because Tenchi is going to have a large family by 2019 or 2020, his oldest son may be living with Nobuyuki, Rea and Tenchi’s youngest sibling.

Tenchismile tuxedodouche

Yukinojo
      Participant
      none
      Okay so far for a new series 13 episodes, standard length, and in 2018 and maybe dramatic plot.
      If it’s a drama what type?

Why not make it something on the lines of Dark Shadows? A bit gothic?

Yukinojo
      Participant
      none

mitsuki lover wrote:

If it’s a drama what type?

Why not make it something on the lines of Dark Shadows? A bit gothic?

I don’t know what that is, but I think something dark like madoka or something like what Yugi (TiT) or Suzuka did (All new manga)

Dark Shadows was a popular gothic soap opera in the late 1960s featuring the vampire

anti-hero Barnabas Collins.It was what we used to watch after school when I was a kid.

(And now I feel old having to explain that.)

Yes, a darker and more gritty take on Tenchi would be interesting. Perhaps Ryoko could really be even more badass in it.

Yukinojo
      Participant
      none

mitsuki lover wrote:

Dark Shadows was a popular gothic soap opera in the late 1960s featuring the vampire

anti-hero Barnabas Collins.It was what we used to watch after school when I was a kid.

(And now I feel old having to explain that.)

Yes, a darker and more gritty take on Tenchi would be interesting. Perhaps Ryoko could really be even more badass in it.

You are old lol, and Tenchi could stand to be more adult sometimes. It is a teenager show but it would be nice to see it in a more serious tone and story.

I know. But I think there are a couple members who might be a bit older than me.

Yes,it would be nice to see what Tenchi and the girls would be like once they get a bit older and maturer,though I think that last word could never apply to either Ryoko or Mihoshi. I think that

no matter how old she gets Mihoshi will always be the Eternal Ditz and Ryoko…well she’d always

be Ryoko.

Yukinojo
      Participant
      none

mitsuki lover wrote:

I know. But I think there are a couple members who might be a bit older than me.

Yes,it would be nice to see what Tenchi and the girls would be like once they get a bit older and maturer,though I think that last word could never apply to either Ryoko or Mihoshi. I think that

no matter how old she gets Mihoshi will always be the Eternal Ditz and Ryoko…well she’d always

be Ryoko.

Mihoshi being the eternal ditz, despite the character development in the manga and lack of in the anime, yeah you’re right. Ryoko has her moments of maturity, the In Love movie 2, I think a few moments in Tenchi in Tokyo. So it’s not an impossibility for their maturity to show a little more often.

Certainly her relationship with Aeka in Tenchi Forever is a lot more mature than in say the first

OVA or even in Universe.

We need to give poor suffering Kiyone a boyfriend while we’re at it.I mean she suffers enough from

Mihoshi’s teasing in the Sasami series.So in our new continuity Kiyone gets a boyfriend.Some nice

guy that looks like the Japanese equivalent of Kevin Sorbo so that Mihoshi can’t tease her about being a loser attracter. kiyonesmile1

Yukinojo
      Participant
      none

mitsuki lover wrote:

We need to give poor suffering Kiyone a boyfriend while we’re at it.I mean she suffers enough from

Mihoshi’s teasing in the Sasami series.So in our new continuity Kiyone gets a boyfriend.Some nice

guy that looks like the Japanese equivalent of Kevin Sorbo so that Mihoshi can’t tease her about being a loser attracter. kiyonesmile1

I think there’s a slight hint to her having a love interest in the Hasegawa novel “Good Health Breathes Disaster” in one of the images. Unfortunately we do not have a translation to that novel so we don’t really know.

It be nice if she did. I just hate her having to suffer Mihoshi’s merciless teasing about not having a guy.
      Yukinojo
      Participant
      none
      Okay, for a new Tenchi, how would it be opened? I’m not asking for a full fan fic story opening, just in general of how it would go. Like, start with action then go emotional, slow then ramp it up for climax, you know, just asking how to flow it.
      I think a character montage with a J Pop style song sung by the girls for the OP,if that is what you mean.

Otherwise I think it should start with more of a comic style first episode.

Of course I realize that it sounds a bit like the opening of Universe.I mean what with the character montage.So why not mix in some live action scenes from the actual locations in Japan?
      susano
      Here is another ideal for a new continuity. The basis of the continuity is focus on preparing Earth for full contact. Washu is a well respected professor at the Galaxy Academy. After serving two terms as the Director of the Galaxy Academy, Washu Hakubi decides to leave the Academy in order to focus on studying the planet Earth and its people. She contacted one of her old friends Katsuhito Masaki. Katsuhito is stll the Chief Priest of the Masaki Shrine. The Masaki Shrine is a well known Shinto shrine located in the city of Takahashi Japan. The Shrine is a pilgrimage site. It has four Matsuri or Shrine Festivals a year.

Katsuhito is half Jurain like his Ryo-Ohki counterpart. Also, he is a member of the Jurain Royal Family. Katsuhito’s father is the present Emperor of Jurai. His mother Funaho Masaki is an Earthling. She has been accepted by the people of Jurai. The name of Katsuhito’s father is Azusa Masaki Jurai. Azusa has a second wife. Her name is Misaki. Like their Ryo-Ohki Counterparts, Misaki and Funaho have a very good and strong relationship.

Katsuhito’s grandson Tenchi Masaki is still an orphan like his counterparts. Tenchi has four sisters. Two of his sisters are older than Tenchi. Tenchi has two younger sisters who are identical twins. One of Tenchi’s two older sisters is helping her father Nobuyuki by helping to raise her two younger sisters. Tenchi knows about his younger sisters. Tenchi’s father Nobuyuki Masaki has a second wife and an infant son whose name is Kenshi. The name of Nobuyuki’s second wife is Rea.

Since Tenchi can remember, he has been betrothed to a girl whose name is Ayeka Masaki. Ayeka is not a sister of Katsuhito, but one of his first cousins. Ayeka has been training to become Tenchi’s since she can remember. Ayeka is a lot like her counterparts.

Tenchi is betrothed to a second girl who happens to be Washu’s daughter Ryoko Hakibi. Ryoko is a lot like her counterparts. She is more like what the Japanese call a Yanki. Ryoko and Tenchi don’t know about their betrothal. Ryoko’s father is Marshall Kagato Habiki. Marshall Kagato Habiki is a member of the Galaxy Army. He is more like Marshall Minami Kuramitsu from Ryo-Ohki. He does love his wife Washu. Her parents do love her. They believe that Ryoko will make a fine member of the Space Pirate Guild. The Space Pirate Guild is an organization of privateers. They do harass Galaxy Police and private cargo vessels on occasion.

Kiyone and Mihsohi are Galaxy Police officers who have been assigned to be bodyguards for Ayeka and her younger sister Sasami. Both Kiyone come from prestigious families. Kiyone is devoted to her job like her counterparts. While Mihoshi is a Genius Ditz, she is not like her counterparts. Despite being a genius ditz, Mihoshi is a very good partner of Kiyone’s.

One of Mihoshi’s abilities as a G.P. officer is being a talented pilot.

Ayeka’s sister Sasami is coming to Earth with her older sister Ayeka. Both sisters have been assigned to help Washu in her studies of Earth and its people. Ayeka’s tasks are focus on studying Japanese high schools. Sasami’s main tasks are focus on studying Japanese Elementary Schools. Strangely, Sasami a lot like her counterparts. She will likely develop a crush on Tenchi. She loves and adores her older sister Ayeka.

Ryoko and Ayeka are not best of friends before the series begins. Yet, the two will become best friends after they meet Tenchi. At first after learning about her betrothal to Tenchi, Ryoko is uncomfortable with her betrothal to Tenchi. After getting to know Tenchi, Ryoko begins to fall in love with Tenchi. Strangely, Ayeka and Ryoko find themselves having rival who is a lot like Noike from Ryo-Ohki and Sayuka from Tecnhi in Tokyo. The name of Ayeka’s and Rokyo’s rival is Hotaru Masaki. Hotaru is Tenchi second cousin and a childhood best friend. Oddly, Hotaru is betrothed to Tenchi. She is not aware of her betrothal to Tenchi until after she meets Ayeka.

There is a major antagonist in the series. He is a member of a space pirate guild. Strangely, the main antagonist happens to be working undercover for the Space Pirate Guild and the Galaxy Police. His main duty is mostly to keep an eye on the space pirate guild which he is a member of. This space pirate guild are interested in kidnapping Ayeka and Hotaru.

That was very well thought out.
      Yukinojo
      Participant
      none
      Yeah, that really should belong in the fanfic thread, just saying. Anyway looking over OVA 1 ep 1, Tenchi Universe ep 1 and War On Geminar ep 1 of their first 5 minutes.

(excluding openings )

The flow and feel

OVA: it starts off with peaceful atmosphere, then intrigues with curiosity and then a mystery with backstory in form of legend

Tenchi Universe: starts off easy and peaceful then goes to action and funny soon after

War On Geminar: Starts off with a hint of something more then cuts to a happy scene then goes malicious intent

Can’t really count Ai because it is a 5 minute episode series and each ep is like a scene and every scene has everything thrown in all at once

so any new tenchi series has pattern covered on how to open a series

I thought Universe was a bit of the reverse:comedy and then action.Certainly it gets more dramatic as it goes on.
      susano
      My second continuity starts out in the morning of what seem to be an ordinary day in Tenchi’s life. By the end of the day, Tenchi learns the truth of his family’s heritage.

My first contunity starts out with Tenchi witnessing a space battle.

Actually I think it be cool if they did one from the POV of an ordinary person like one of Tenchi’s

high school female classmates.How would an ordinary Japanese schoolgirl deal with the crazy goings on at the Masaki Shrine? And if we make our heroine a bit of a rationalist what kind of

logical conclusion would she come to about Ryoko,Sasami,Aeka and the other girls?

Of course she would also have to be someone who would be a good fit for Tenchi and thus a threat for both Ryoko and Aeka.In fact part of the fun would be the competition between the three of them.

And no this wouldn’t be like Tenchi In Tokyo because our heroine would be just what she seems,

an ordinary Japanese high school student.

For lack of a better name we’ll call here Kagome…’k? soawesome1 😆

So not to confuse her with the Kagome,this one will be half American and has reddish hair.She’s

a bit of a tsundere type as well.And yeah,she’s modeled half after Kagome and half after our beloved

Asuka Langley Soryhu.

She’s actually a foreign exchange student living with her Japanese grandparents.Her Japanese is a bit off and part of the early comedy is she is always saying the wrong thing!

She meets Tenchi during science class when Professor Washu(yeah who else would be teaching science?)assigns them as lab partners.Right off he pisses her off by accidentally spilling some

harmless acid on her lab coat.

She has two older sisters and a younger brother at home and loves cats and dogs both.

Her family lives in Seattle and she’s a big hockey fan.

Her dog is named Esposito and her cat is named Jagmir.(told ya she was a hockey fan!).

susano
      Hotaru is Tenchi’ s first fiancée in the third continuity. She is aware of Ayeka’s betrothal to Tenchi, but not aware of Ryoko’s .

The series starts on the third day of the school year. Ryoko, Tenchi, and Hotaru are in the same class. Depsite being a yanki, Ryoko is able to respect the rules of her school. Ryoko wants to be an artist and a musican. She is respected by most of her classmates and most of her peers. Oddly, Ryoko is one of Hotaru’s and Tenchi’s best friends.

Ayeka is introduced in the first episode. Ayeka and Ryoko seem to have troubles with each other. Hotaru doesn’t have any problem with Ayeka.

Tenchi learns of his betrothals to Ryoko and Ayeka after school. Hotaru is present when Tenchi learns about his betrothals to Ayeka and Ryoko. Ryoko’s betrothal is a result of her mother being a best friend of Tenchi’s grandfather Katsuhito. . Ayeka’s betrothal is a result of a promise which her parents made with Tenchi’s parents.

Tenchi is not comfortable being betrothed to three girls. Yet, he is able to tolerate the fact.

Cool.Ryoko would make a great yanki as she has the right attitude for it.

AFAIG here’s a list of episode titles I’ve come up with:

1.No Need For A Lab Partner

2.No Need For A First Date

3.No Need For A Baby Sitter

4.No Need For A Samurai

5.No Need For St.Patrick’s Day

6.No Need For A Gunslinger

7.No Need For A Concert

8.No Need For A Mascot

9.No Need For Rockin’ Round The Clock

10.No Need For A Villianness

11.No Need For Jurai

12.No Need For An Elephant

13.No Need For A Homecoming

14.No Need For A Sequel

susano
      I have come up with a possible title for my continuity. I call it simply call it Life with Tenchi. The series is more like Ryo-Ohki and Tenchi in Tokyo.

kiyonesmile1

Yukinojo
      Participant
      none
      New Tenchi Muyo titles:

Tenchi Muyo! Encore!

Tenchi Muyo!

Tenchi Revive!

Useless Return

Earth and Stars

Plain and Beauties

How about:Have Tenchi Will Travel? 😆

Sorry…couldn’t help myself.

I think a good title doesn’t necessarily have to have Tenchi’s name in it though as long as the viewer

gets the idea that it’s Tenchi.

Yukinojo
      Participant
      none
      A few new titles:

Tenchi Anew!

Simple Fun

Carnival’s alive!

Life and Stars

Tenchi’s Life

Life’s Opportunity

*Magical Girl Sasami And Friends

*I Love Tenchi

*No Need For College

*My Favorite Juriaian

*The Miss Adventures of Aeka and Ryoko

Yukinojo
      Participant
      none
      Titles:

No Need for Love

No Need for Fantasy

Love In Need

Lively Hearts

Simple Joy

The Miss Adventures of Aeka and Ryoko would be something on the lines of Tenchi

does Laverne And Shirley and would follow Aeka and Ryoko as they are forced to live and

work together.It won’t necessarily take place in Milwaukee,but don’t tempt me! 😆

Seriously though it would be nice to have a comedy series centered around our two favorite

Tenchi gals.

Yukinojo
      Participant
      none
      Titles

Demons? Angels? Fun!

Passionate Hearts

No Need for Life

Living in Life

Heaven’s Stress

Heaven’s and Earth’s Home

mitsuki lover wrote:

Aeka and Ryoko as they are forced to live andwork together.

that is basically what they do in any series

True but I was thinking more in line with a sitcom sort of thing like Laverne & Shirley soawesome1 .

You know where they have not only to live but also work together.

Yeah,I guess Tenchi Forever might come close to what I’m thinking about since they do wind up

working as waitresses.

Heck let’s just do a spin off from that just ’cause it be fun seeing them up to work a regular job

and be roommates without either Tenchi or the other girls around them all the time.

Ryoko & Aeka’s Miss Adventures episode titles and synopsis:

1:No Need For A Waitress:Aeka and Ryoko get jobs as waitresses but after Ryoko breaks one

plate too many they find themselves out on the street again.

2.There She Is: Miss Pet Shop:The girls enter a beauty contest run by a local pet shop but

unfortunately Aeka’s allergy leads to another disaster.

3.Engrish As She Ain’t Spoken:In yet another attempt to find work our heroines become tour guides,but neither of them speak English well enough!

4.Sasami To The Rescue:Sasami decides to help her beloved big sister and Ryoko but

her plans go awry thanks to the usual Mihoshi interference.

5.Final Jeopardy!:Aeka goes on the Japanese version of Jeopardy to win money.

6.Wanted:Ryoko or Alive:Just as the girls think everything is finally going their way a

bounty hunter(who looks strangely like Steve McQueen)arrives to take Ryoko in.

7.A Desperate Save:Aeka,Tenchi and the gang go after the bounty hunter and Ryoko.

8.No Need For Money:After all that the girls learn that they’re still broke.

9.Princess Ryoko:To get rid of a pesty suitor Aeka let’s Ryoko pose as her for a week.

10.Say Cheese!:The girls are scouted by a model agency only to learn that the photographer

is a lech.

11.Home Sweet Jurai:Given a chance to return home to Jurai for awhile but hesitates

about going without Ryoko.

12.The Day Before The Night Comes:The girls finally decide to move back to the Masaki

Shrine and just in time too as an ancient curse is about to begin…

Yukinojo
      Participant
      none
      Title: Home is A Heaven

mitsuki lover wrote:

Ryoko & Aeka’s Miss Adventures

might want to put that in the hypothetical thread as that is focused on two and not just all the characters for a new series

Well yeah,but there is that two parter where the whole gang shows up to help rescue Ryoko.

I just thought it be interesting to see what would happen if our two favorite Tenchi gals had their

own show away from the others.

Yukinojo
      Participant
      none

mitsuki lover wrote:

Well yeah,but there is that two parter where the whole gang shows up to help rescue Ryoko.

I just thought it be interesting to see what would happen if our two favorite Tenchi gals had their

own show away from the others.

Still has the Ayeka and Ryoko in the center with other characters surrounding them, like Pretty Sammy OVA’s. Also it sounds like a story for the Own Show thread

susano
      The Mis-Adventures of Ryoko and Aeka seems to be a prefect Universe spinoff as well as another series. Ryoko and Aeka have decided to leave the residence in order to understand Tenchi and the views of an Earth culture like Japan’s. Tenchi supports Ryoko’s and Aeka’s efforts.

For LIfe With Tenchi, Tenchi can be trick into becoming his class representative. At first, Tenchi is not likely interested in school politics. As the series progresses, it turns out that the student government of Tenchi’s high school is almost representative of most student governments. Tenchi finds out that he has a talent for being a class representative. He becomes one of the most popular students at his school.

Kiyofacepalm1

At least with the girls. 😆 😆 😆
      Takahata

mitsuki lover wrote:

At least with the girls. 😆 😆 😆

The boys will have to tolerate Tenchi’s popularity with the girls as well as respect him as a fellow student. 😆

Tenchismile gendo1

Well if it were like the first episode of Dual I can imagine Tenchi being chased around by a lot of irate jocks.(If it weren’t for MS Kazuki would’ve been pounded to a pulp.)
      Have we discussed a Live Action version yet, or are we only talking about an anime continuity?
      Yukinojo
      Participant
      none

mitsuki lover wrote:

Have we discussed a Live Action version yet, or are we only talking about an anime continuity?

Of Tenchi Muyo? or Dual ? So far this thread has been about anime continuity for Tenchi, not sure if someone has made a live action thread for Tenchi. In my opinion it would not would because of many reason from the list of anime-live adaptions, but the one would: Hair, everyone’s hair is weird, Ryoko, Washu, Sasami have hair that defies practicality.

Tenchi Moyu of course. I think the hair thing could be easily fixed.The problem of course would be would this be entirely new or a variation on Universe or what?

btw: If you ever watched say Babylon 5 or Farscape you’d know that hair styles wouldn’t be that much of a problem for a live action Tenchi.

In any case if we were to go in that direction instead of a new anime I personally would prefer

unknown actors around the same age range for Tenchi,Aeka,Ryoko,Sasami,etc. then go for the

Big Name Star ™.

Although: Bruce ‘Friggin’ Campbell as Yosho would be hysterically funny.

Whenever a bad guy came around he could always claim to be Chuck Findley again! 😆 😆 😆

joking with that last part.

Actually considering everything it wouldn’t surprise me if the Japanese had done a live action

Tenchi.The surprising thing would be that they hadn’t thought of it before.

Yukinojo
      Participant
      none

mitsuki lover wrote:

Actually considering everything it wouldn’t surprise me if the Japanese had done a live action

Tenchi.The surprising thing would be that they hadn’t thought of it before.

Tried to find a live action anything in japan, didn’t find one. There is a lot of fan acting at conventions on youtube but so far there is only talks on who would be a good actors. However a point was brought up while searching: Can it be adapted to Live Action? and easy answer would be yes, if we were talking about sets, costumes, and props. It’s the writing and acting: in anime, people cry, make high pitched noises, and make faces randomly. In Japan that is normal, especially in kids hero shows, but if you wanted a serious story arc with strong emotional feels for audiences, then you need to change the writing dramatically.

From my view, a live action script would need to be as mature as the In Love 2 Movie, in the case you want seriousness from it. Though, if you want random wacky adventures then the scripting would be that of an average sentai, it would natural for Tenchi in a way for all of its antics and occurrences. However I don’t watch Japanese hero shows or any other show in japan so I wouldn’t know what better to compare or structure Tenchi to for a live action.

jgzinv
      Well there was this…. why they are fighting in their skivvies by the end, don’t know…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMGbVuge2cU

and..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOpbJVhfSvg

Yukinojo
      Participant
      none

JGZinv wrote:

Well there was this…. why they are fighting in their skivvies by the end, don’t know…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMGbVuge2cU

and..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOpbJVhfSvg

I actually meant as a full series, and I completely missed checking the Russian side of things.

I wasn’t thinking about anything other than the Japanese myself. I also was thinking of a blown out

series and not just a movie.

Yukinojo
      Participant
      none

mitsuki lover wrote:

I wasn’t thinking about anything other than the Japanese myself. I also was thinking of a blown out

series and not just a movie.

A usual sentai I think is about around 40 to 50 in a season, least that was the way of power rangers. However best to keep it at the now standard 24-26 ep in a season if they do make one.

wtfisthis1

I’m confused how did we go from discussing Tenchi to Power Rangers?

(btw:Does that make Tenchi the Red Ranger? iloveit1 )

Yukinojo
      Participant
      none

mitsuki lover wrote:

wtfisthis1

I’m confused how did we go from discussing Tenchi to Power Rangers?

(btw:Does that make Tenchi the Red Ranger? iloveit1 )

I mean in terms of Tenchi Live Action series being made like a sentai or something like it to allow it’s ridiculousness and antics. BTW: Ryoko is Red. End of Discussion.

Ok…I could see that…and Aeka’s the Pink one.

But seriously I am surprised that they haven’t even thought of a live action version of Tenchi

in Japan yet.

Heck Saturday when I was at the Magic Girl Wikia they even had a pic from the Negima?!

live action series.So where’s the Tenchi Moyu one?

Yukinojo
      Participant
      none

mitsuki lover wrote:

Ok…I could see that…and Aeka’s the Pink one.But seriously I am surprised that they haven’t even thought of a live action version of Tenchiin Japan yet.Heck Saturday when I was at the Magic Girl Wikia they even had a pic from the Negima?!live action series.So where’s the Tenchi Moyu one?

Tenchi Muyo probably didn’t have enough substance, or popularity to make it Into a live action show. Most of the time they are just sitting around the house just living together. Though most of the time Ryoko goes through walls, fires energy blasts and fights big robots, so might be tough on practicality of objects and people.

But getting back to the issue at end,being a new continuity: if there is one character that needs more

face time it’s our poor Kiyone.Whether live action or animated I want to see one that has Kiyone

in the lead.

susano

mitsuki lover wrote:

But getting back to the issue at end,being a new continuity: if there is one character that needs more

face time it’s our poor Kiyone.Whether live action or animated I want to see one that has Kiyone

in the lead.

It will be fun if Kiyone had her anime series. If Kiyone has her own series, her partner Mihoshi Kuramitsu can be a lot like Ryo-Ohki’s Mitoto Kuramitsu. Mihoshi will be a fine Galaxy Police on duty. Off duty, Mihoshi tends to behave partially as a genius ditz. In reality, her carefree view of life seems to make a lot of people to foolishly believe Mihoshi is a complete ditz.

Kiyone is from a well known and respected GP family. Oddly her partner Mihoshi is one of her first cousins. Kioyne falls in love with a Terran male whose name is Tenchi Masaki, Tenchi is related to Jurai’s Royal Family. His maternal grandfather is Yosho Masaki . Yosho goes by the name Katsuhito Masaki. Katsuhito has convince his son-in-law Nobuyuki to arranged a marriage between Tenchi and Kiyone. Oddly, Katsuhito is a friend of Kiyone’s father and mother.

Kiyofacepalm1

Making Kiyone and Mihoshi first cousins is interesting and would help explain why Kiyone puts

up with Mihoshi.

Yukinojo
      Participant
      none
      A new thoughts occurred and need to be taken one at a time for a new story telling for Tenchi:

Audio drama story or episodic game like the Wolf Among Us or Tales from the Borderlands.

I’d love an audio drama where the original OVA cast meets the Universe cast.
      Yukinojo
      Participant
      none

mitsuki lover wrote:

I’d love an audio drama where the original OVA cast meets the Universe cast.

I meant like the first Tenchi Muyo Audio Drama before it became an anime, something before it introduces a new series.

I know there’s been Tenchi Muyo Game Hen for Nintendo Famicom, so I likened to the idea of a new Tenchi game but with a different storytelling. Tell-Tale game, The Wolf Among Us is a awesome game with a story that is told by immersing players in the story with choices to further the game with different storyline routes. I feel like this would be a perfect way to tell a Tenchi story, there is so much potential in what players could choose for a Tenchi story route.

So like a Choose Your Adventure version of Tenchi then?
      Yukinojo
      Participant
      none

mitsuki lover wrote:

So like a Choose Your Adventure version of Tenchi then?

Yeah kind of, if you actually saw the game I was talking about, you would know the kind of play style I mean.

I’m more familiar with the Choose Your Own Adventure which is why I mentioned it.
      Yukinojo
      Participant
      none

mitsuki lover wrote:

I’m more familiar with the Choose Your Own Adventure which is why I mentioned it.

Yeah well, I think instead of a full one off game, the story could be told like the OVA’s were as a set of eps.

drillmaster
      This is gonna be a long post and I do apologize, but I’ve honestly been thinking a lot about this topic.

Tenchi cannot survive in this current animated environment.

A lot of my love for Tenchi comes from the characters and nostalgia, but a lot of aspects are bothersome.

As such, Tenchi needs an overhaul.

There is enough nostalgia and love for Tenchi for it to warrant a new series, a possibility of creating a new ending for a beloved movie, and talks of an OVA 4…

*shudder*

But the problem is that Tenchi will forever be known as a “harem show” when I feel it can be something a bit more relatable. What do I mean? Well, read this description:

A teenage boy with celestial origins on his deceased mother’s side lives with a bunch of alien women and struggles to control his own newfound defensive powers, adjust to the life he now has, and become a hero.

Sounds like Tenchi Muyo, right? Well I can think of another show airing right now that this can also apply for:

That’s right: Steven Universe.

Steven Universe, for those who are uninformed, follows Steven, a young teenager, who lives with the Crystal Gems, three otherworldly women who possess extraordinary abilities thanks to gems embedded in their bodies. Steven’s mother, Rose Quartz, was also a Crystal Gem who “left this world” in childbirth. As such, Steven is half human/ half Crystal Gem and has his own gem on his stomach. His ability is to create shields when focusing on his emotions.

Can you see the similarities in plot already?

Steven: Tenchi

Rose Quartz: Kiyone/Achika

Greg: Nobuyuki

Pearl: Ayeka

Garnet: Ryoko (to a point) and Washu

Amethyst: Mihoshi and Ryoko (to a point)

Lion: Ryo-Ohki

Gem Homeworld: Jurai

Steven Universe is a fantastic show that takes a few cues from Tenchi Muyo!. However, it succeeds where Tenchi is having difficulties. Why? Well there are certain differences in the shows approach to the premise that make it relatable to a modern audience.

Tenchi may be able to survive if it adapts to these differences, but not directly copies them.

The biggest difference has to do with the main character. Steven and Tenchi are both audience surrogates. They want adventure (sometimes in Tenchi’s case) but the show’s focus on them in two completely different lights. When we watch any given Tenchi show, most of the time Tenchi has nothing to do. He is there because he has to be, or to be used as a catalyst to get the ball rolling for the girls. This isn’t bad, per say, but we as an audience care for Tenchi less as a character and more as a means to further enjoy, say, Ryoko or Ayeka.

Steven, on the other hand, nearly always has something to do. He grows a little every episode. Even if the episode is focusing on a side character, like Greg, the framing always has Steven get involved. STEVEN moves the plot forward by getting himself involved in situations he does not understand, not by situations occurring around him. We care about him because we are just as interested in what is going on as he is!

This is what the Tenchi franchise needs: for Tenchi to do something! I know the joke is that there is “no need for Tenchi” in this series, but it’s time to retire the joke. Give him some motivation and faults. He needs to be more than just the good guy. Give him a goal and watch him try to achieve it. For added effect, make the goal something the girls are against to bring more humor to the forefront.

Hmm…this sounds familiar. I’ll think about that as I go on.

Now spicing up the formula was actually done rather recently in Ai Tenchi Muyo! In it, Tenchi took on the role of a student teacher. Okay, this is new and interesting! How will the girls react to this? What made Tenchi want to teach? What is his philosophy?

However, they ruined it by making nearly every one of his students have a crush on him. Add in humor like a focus on panties and you have yet another imperfect Tenchi series, albeit one that did all it could do in those conditions. But Ai reinforced the harem aspect yet again by focusing on girls (and I mean girls) who want Tenchi. This follows into my next point: romantic relationships as a whole.

Tenchi is all about relationships and how EVERYONE wants him to a certain extent. If we are to include Kajishima’s doujins, then even RYO-OHKI wants him!

If Tenchi is to survive, the love angle needs to be toned down considerably. I’m not saying keep the relationships out of it, but don’t have that be Ayeka and Ryoko’s main motivations. Give them something more. At least Ayeka initially was focused on her mission to find Yosho. Perhaps have her explore the Juraian influence that shaped early Earth, or give Ryoko a hobby, like drinking!

And for heaven’s sake: kill the family tree. Ayeka does not need to be related to Yosho beyond a Juraian link. Heck, if you want the original “Search for Yosho” angle, have her search for the greatest Juraian warrior to help stop the evil Kagato.

You know, like Star Wars, which OVA 1 draws a lot from.

This is where characters like Sasami and Washu thrive. The two are memorable for reasons beyond wanting Tenchi. Sasami likes to cook, so have episodes focusing on her cooking. The manga had side stories of her entering cooking competitions and baking cakes for a local shop. Those make us connect with the character. Washu, on the other hand, is probably the most rounded given her giant level of screen time in OVA 2. She may want Tenchi for…adult purposes, but she wants Tenchi to crack the Juraian power code. She wants him as a guinea pig. It adds to her character as a mad scientist. Universe focused several episodes on her new inventions, some led to humorous hijinks and other had deadly effects. That could make for some great episodes.

The characters need to be more than just strong women with strong personalities. These girls need to be flawed beyond “being snobby” or “clumsy.” The strongest two moments in OVA 2 were Sasami believing that she had died when she was fused with Tsunami and Washu’s heartbreaking reasoning why she keeps the form of a child. This shows us character depth.

Imagine more moments like that for the other characters.

Take Mihoshi. She is clumsy yet lucky. That is her charm. But what if behind her clumsiness and cheerful demeanor was a frustrated woman who hated always crashing her ship and causing accidents? We can still have the moments of humor, but her character will grow and it will cause the audience to sympathize with her more.

This also relates to Steven Universe.

The girls in Steven Universe are there as a family unit, not as a love interest. You would think that would be obvious given Steven’s age, but consider the fact that the Tenchi girls are literally several hundreds of years older than Tenchi and still want the kid. With Steven, it’s all about his dynamics with the Gems. He learns about his Gem powers through them and, by comparison, they learn about the humans who inhabit the world they call home. Hell, that’s how Steven was even born.

What I’m trying to say is play up Tenchi’s curiosity more. Have him be interested in learning about Jurai, not just be amazed when he sees a space tree. Let us see Washu enjoy the simplicity of the Earth’s technological advancements. Heck, have her meddle and have her invent things in the public sector. Imagine a Steve Jobs like CEO trying to stop the “mysterious” Japanese competition. It would give her a reason to want to get involved with Earth besides Tenchi. Explore Nobuyuki’s past with Achika/ Kiyone and see his struggles as a single parent.

The manga does a great job with a lot of these points. I’ve already mentioned how much time is spent getting to know the characters. In Volume 9 of No Need for Tenchi, Ryoko is given a major dilemma: is she attracted to Tenchi because of Tenchi or because of a figure from her past that looks like him? The gang goes on an adventure for her sake. We learn more about Ryoko and she is given actual character growth beyond “I love Tenchi!” Her purity of a character is questioned and she instantly becomes more well rounded. It is a great thing.

So with all of this said, what could we do? Well looking at the suggestions already mentioned, there are a few ways, but amazingly one of them has been done: changing the formula to give Tenchi something to do. I discussed Ai already, but the closest we have come to getting a fresh start was Tenchi in Tokyo.

Tenchi in Tokyo took the biggest risk and suffered for it, but it’s premise is exactly what the franchise needs. Tenchi is given a want: to learn to become a priest like his Grandfather so he could man the Masaki Shrine. How does he do it? He moves to Tokyo to go to school. Naturally, the girls are pissed.

That sounds like a great premise! So why didn’t Tenchi in Tokyo work?

Well remember, I have not watched the show since its time on Toonami, but even I knew that there were issues with it. What kind of issues? Well, let’s make a list (that I am sure to enjoy looking back at when I get to the show):

1) Sakuya: Remember how a complaint I have is that everyone seems to want Tenchi? Enter Sakuya, a NEW girl who ALSO wants Tenchi! Wow!

Of course, this was the last thing fans wanted and it didn’t help that Sakuya was literally there only to want Tenchi. That was the extent of her character (until the last episode or two. I do remember what happened to her, but after the first few episodes I completely black out). You know what could have made her interesting: have her be like a cool older sister type who specifically DIDN’T want Tenchi. Tenchi could have confided in her and the two could have been actual friends. But no, she was more harem bait.

2) The animation: The animation for Tenchi in Tokyo was atrocious. I am all for switching up animation styles, but it was crap.

3) The Monster of the Week formula: Now I don’t know if this aspect was toned down as the show went on, but the early episodes of Tokyo followed a specific formula: Tenchi does something, the villain creates a monster designed to pester Tenchi, and it’s up to the cast to stop it.

It…it isn’t what you think of when you think of Tenchi, is it?

Now I have to applaud the show for attempting to shake up the established franchise while attempting to remain true to the roots. I truly believe that if more time was spent on crafting a tighter story and better animation we could have had a great show.

Instead we got a jumbled mess that couldn’t decide what it wanted to be. Was it a sequel to Universe? Was it its own continuity? What is the villain’s motivations? What are Sakuya’s motivations? What kind of tone is the show going to establish? Is it serious? It it humorous?

All of these things doomed the show and, as such, nearly all attempts to keep the franchise new. We either had the Okuda canon for a few more years or the Kajishima canon, all of which focus on the same premise.

Another thing that needs to be done is giving ALL of the characters enough things to do. Tell me, when has Nobuyuki been important to the story? The movie and the last episode of OVA 3. He’s Tenchi’s father and the breadwinner. Why don’t we see things from his perspective? How does he feel with his house being moved? How does he feel about Tenchi’s life choices. The biggest sin of OVA 3 (among many things) was not showing ANY development between Nobuyuki and Rhea. It was all informed. Hell, we get one episode of Universe to deal with the loss of Achika. The man seriously deserves some respect.

Now beyond just changing up the formula, Tenchi needs to start fresh and new, like this topic suggests. How can one start a new continuity? I see one of two ways:

1) Wipe the slate clean and start fresh ala Universe. Keep the core of the characters, but bring them into today’s world. I love the idea of exploring Ryoko’s past as a pirate. Use stuff like that to bring depth to the characters. Show, don’t tell.

2) Use a new character to be introduced into a pre established world. Think of Ai but without the sexual undertones. Have one of Tenchi’s classmates come over for dinner on a day that, say, Nagi attacks and is forcibly brought into Tenchi’s world. This could be dangerous, but it could be refreshing.

All in all, the potential is there. Tenchi is a sandbox waiting to be played with. Do something interesting. Have it turn out Kagato was trying to stop Washu and make her the secret villain. Force Katsuhito to confront a person from his past. Bring Ryoko to Earth court for destruction of property and watch Nobuyuki deal with the stress. Give Sasami a friend her age. Show Ayeka rule from Earth. Have Mihoshi adopt a puppy. Kiyone can be the big sister type to Tenchi since she is the only one who isn’t madly in love with him. Remember that Azaka and Kamidake exist.

Heck, if a Tenchi show can dedicate an episode to butt wrestling and three episodes to Sasami’s period, they’ve got nowhere to go but up.

SnowQueen

drillmaster wrote:

Sounds like Tenchi Muyo, right? Well I can think of another show airing right now that this can also apply for:

That’s right: Steven Universe.

YES! Thank you! iloveit1

I couldn’t agree more with this as I have thought the same thing (especially after The Return and Jailbreak) and also loved how you used such detail to describe the pro’s and con’s to both shows (and to the characters which I think is pretty spot on) and equally compared them.

This post made my day since I love both shows so much Tenchismile

In essence simply have a series that adopts the manga! This would be the Ultimate Solution.

btw:Adopting the manga would also mean more screen time for characters like Nobuyuki and

Tsunami.

drillmaster
      While I am all for adapting the manga, it really doesn’t give a lot of time to Nobuyuki. If I recall, we only see him a few times:

Stacking coins

Watching Taro

Getting into the accident when the TV crew wanted to interview him.

Yelling at Ryoko for driving Mihoshi away

Getting called in as a manga expert

Running to see Kiyone but getting forced out of the manga by Yosho

I think that’s it and even then, he’s only there for a panel or two. His is the only supporting character NOT to get a ton of time devoted to him, save Seriyo I suppose.

Yukinojo
      Participant
      none
      I think Tenchi could use a little upgrades in some departments. Maybe some time to flesh out relationships between the Masaki men and how they interact with each other. Hexagram and Universe did that a little bit, but I would like to see the characters just sit around and TALK to each other, just talk. No: bickering, arguing, goofiness, tricks or dire emergency; just a normal conversation with each other. I think that might be the area in which Tenchi is scarce and has potential to explore for character development.

As drillmaster said: Give Tenchi something to do. I mean working in the fields, help clean and cook at home isn’t all he wants to do, is it? I know the whole one person just trying to be normal in their life of craziness is clichéd, but he must have some goal or aspiration in his life. What does Tenchi want to do with his life?, has anyone ask that question of him in any series. I know he is mostly associated with working at a shrine or being a Shinto priest in training, but maybe actually focus on what’s inside Tenchi’s head a bit.

Though a thought has occurred while reading dm’s post: why not make Tenchi not lean on being so heavy on the harem genre. When people try to explain Tenchi it is easy to say harem show, but when you look at it a little more, it has something for everyone. It can still have harem aspects, but structure on something that can have a real plot to it, like serious and dramatic during the Kagato Arc in OVA 1. In the Kagato Arc had minor things wrong with it, like adding Washu in the very end and a very short Tenchi vs Kagato fight, but it was a good story. It was serious, funny, had drama, the first time the girls worked together, pretty awesome. (btw Washu may have been forced in the end, but she was funny and awesome, so she evened out.)

BTW drillmaster: accidently hit dislike instead of like on you, sorry. Don’t know how to undo hitting dislike.

drillmaster
      It’s all good. gendo1

The key consistent negative point I have found when reviewing the OVA episode by episode (save, you know the lack of consent by Tenchi or the incest) is really keeping a consistent tone and balancing everything. The first episode to show that was Episode 6, flip flopping between Ayeka and Ryoko fighting to Mihoshi and Washu. The scenes could have been fine if they were placed, say, before and after the Tsunami scenes, but showing a second of an intense fight and then cutting to comic relief is a smidge off-putting. However, it is more forgivable given the task of introducing Washu. What’s less forgiving is the shifts between the Taro subplot and Washu’s backstory in Episode Eight. You tease a tragic backstory…and then the baby poops on you. Either commit to being a humorous episode or balance out the seriousness so you can take the proper time as a viewer to appreciate the situation. It doesn’t help that a lot of Tenchi’s emotional subplots are relegated to single episodes, save certain things like Ayeka’s depression from Episodes Two to Three or Sasami’s mood swings from Episodes Seven to Nine.

That kind of planning and focus would benefit Tenchi greatly. Since it seems to have resonated a bit, look at this past batch of episodes of Steven Universe. The first episode three an emotional wrench in the main characters dynamics and it took four episodes to get everyone on enough speaking terms to work out the betrayal of trust. Each episode dealt with both how Steven was coping and how each of the girls coped.

Now imagine they took that kind of time in Universe for when Ryoko screwed everybody over and they starved. The potential for emotional growth was there and it would have added to the growth she underwent in “No Need for Ryoko.” Im not saying she needed to have moped or be sad in every episode prior to that point, but that had the potential to have been the turning point to her character earlier on.

A new show, in my perfect world, would jump on the imperfections and flaws of the characters and use that to allow them to mature and grow thanks to the situations the gang finds themselves in.

Nobuyuki
      Participant

Ukinojo92 wrote:

BTW drillmaster: accidently hit dislike instead of like on you, sorry. Don’t know how to undo hitting dislike.

Click it again.

Yukinojo
      Participant
      none

Nobuyuki wrote:

Ukinojo92 wrote:

Click it again.

Thanks for the help.

What can be done for Tenchi now? Ai was kind of dry shot in itself, just nostalgia and tourism advertisement. It seems like if there was a time for someone to take Tenchi and make it their own just to sell, then this would be the time but nothing has happened. Yeah, Negishi did his thing with Ai, but that’s it, nothing more since he has moved on to other projects.

Tenchi has a decent reputation again after Negishi, but I think that won’t be enough in this era. Anime has gotten better and more competitive, Tenchi needs to present itself in a way that bursts out so that everyone can know of it and be interested in it.

drillmaster
      To be fair, nostalgia runs very high, and though a lot of his doujins might be controversial, Kajishima has been keeping Tenchi in the public’s eye in some form. We are living in a nostalgia fueled age that, for better or worse, does not seem to be ending any time soon.

Do I see a resurgence of the Tenchi brand? Honestly, no. I wish, but I have doubts. Can it resurface? It most certainly can and probably will.

Nostalgia would be watching tv with Ryoko doing a less filling,tastes great Miller Lite

commercial with Mike Ditka.Just saying.

But to get back to the point:we need to remember that a series like Ai Tenchi Moyu will be the

first encounter with the entire Tenchiverse that many newer and especially younger otakus will be having with the franchise.

So if we think of a new continuity we have to be careful that it’ll make a good first impression so the

newbies will want to go back and watch the original OVAs and Universe etc.

Yukinojo
      Participant
      none

mitsuki lover wrote:

Ai Tenchi Moyu will be thefirst encounter with the entire Tenchiverse that many newer and especially younger otakus will be having with the franchise.

True it is a first in this decade for new anime viewers to see the series. However the episodes are completely short, not really enough material for people to get interested right off the bat. The first episode was just plain and not attention grabbing, if want to introduce a series to get peoples attention in this day and age, you need a more powerful opening.

Maybe a flash-forward of the gang fighting, then showing them get introduced might be the formula to open up to people seeing it for the first time.

ChaudSept
      Grammar nazi mode : On

mitsuki lover wrote:

Moyu

Muyo! :D

Yeah, I always have trouble spelling the durn thing ever since the good old days when I was at The

Anime Cafe Forum.And that really dates me I know.

Yukinojo
      Participant
      none
      Another thing to consider for a introduction is timing. If it is a show, then putting on a channel with an anime block with a good time slot, I don’t know any Japanese channels or networks, AT-X maybe would be a good start.
      Agreed on the timing. You need to have it when more people are going to be around to watch.

You also need to watch what the competition has on the same time.This is because you don’t want to make the mistake of say programming a new series against an established mega-hit,unless say

new show is like Agents of SHIELD that has the potential to hold it’s own against say

NCIS.

Though with something that is already established like Tenchi that has a built in following

there ought not be that type of problem(we hope).

Yukinojo
      Participant
      none
      The problem is really with being overshadowed or ignored being next to a big hit show. Like shows during or next to Lost’s time slot.
      Nobuyuki
      Participant

mitsuki lover wrote:

Though with something that is already established like Tenchi that has a built in following

there ought not be that type of problem(we hope).

Tenchi Muyo? I think my dad watched that.” aquateencarl1

Ukinojo92 wrote:

The problem is really with being overshadowed or ignored being next to a big hit show. Like shows during or next to Lost’s time slot.

But it being Tenchi we would hope that that problem wouldn’t exist.

Yukinojo
      Participant
      none

mitsuki lover wrote:

But it being Tenchi we would hope that that problem wouldn’t exist.

Yeah, but how many people besides us fans actually know of Tenchi? Today, you got Sailor Moon reboot, Magica Madoka, Durarara, Hellsing, EVANGELION rebuild movies, and dozens of other hit shows, who has heard of Tenchi in the middle of those shows? We have die hard fans to carry the show, but new awesome shows are going to keep coming in the meantime.

True.And then we also have more variations of Gundam than you can shake a stick at as well.
      I think with the Sailor Moon reboot and revival it had a lot to do with the fans being angry at

TOEI for withdrawing the series from the public after their little to do with Naoko Takeuchi over who held the copyright(IIRC).

I could be wrong on that but that’s what I recall.

I, of course don’t think we have the same situation with Tenchi and so it’s really an apples and oranges thing when comparing it to SM.

susano
      When it comes to the ideal of a new continuity, there are three camps of Tenchi fans. The first camp do think that a new continuity is not a good ideal. The second camp is a group of fans who want a new continuity. The third camp of fans seem to never care at all.

When it comes to a future Tenchi series, one of the most likely ones will focus on Tenchi’s oldest son. I think that the series should include Tenchi’s oldest son having a faternal twin sister. The series will be likely known as Tenchi Muyo: The Next Generation. While the series is going to be a harem, it will be strange that the series’s main protagonist happens to be the female protagonist. The female protagonist is engaged to Tenchi’s oldest son.

AI was a honest attempt. It sets the series in Takahashi City Japan. When I look at the Google Earth map of Takahashi City Japan, there are some areas in the city where Tenchi’s house and the Masaki Shrine can be located.

I’m in the camp that only wants a new continuity if it’s done on the lines of the manga,so there’s actually four.
      Yukinojo
      Participant
      none

mitsuki lover wrote:

I’m in the camp that only wants a new continuity if it’s done on the lines of the manga,so there’s actually four.

You forgot novels, and not Kajishima novels, I mean a reboot through novels. Lots of anime start from novels, restart fresh from the beginning.

True,and sometimes the manga and novels are based on the anime as well.
      Yukinojo
      Participant
      none

mitsuki lover wrote:

True,and sometimes the manga and novels are based on the anime as well.

Originally Tenchi was OVA then continued as novels, then manga. Dragon Magazine is a good place to start, strong following since 1988, and several good series were carried by them.

I’d stick with using the manga but especially the Okuda ones if I were doing a new Tenchi series, because of the comedy.
      The Sasami Stories would especially be fun to do as an anime.
      Yukinojo
      Participant
      none

mitsuki lover wrote:

The Sasami Stories would especially be fun to do as an anime.

Sasami has a bunch of magical girl anime to herself already, I think she has enough. Though a revival of the Tenchi girls as magical girls might be more doable. Especially Ryoko and Ayeka are basic opposites no matter what kind of anime they are in.

susano
      I can imagine a series where Ryoko and Tenchi are childhood friends. Ayeka is an alien teen princess whom Tenchi happens to be engaged to. Sasami comes to Earth with her sister Ayeka. It will take time for Sasami to develop stronger feelings for Tenchi. Kiyone and Mihoshi are Galaxy Police bodyguards for Ayeka and Sasami. Their job is protect the Princesses when Kamidake and Azusa are not able to.

Ryoko is a yanki who happens to be one as a result of her love for music and Art. Her peers admired her to the point where Ryoko is one of the popular students at school. She has feelings for Tenchi. Tenchi continues to see her as a friend. Ryoko’s mother Washu is a Galaxy Academy scientist who is in disguise as a high school science teacher. Nobuyuki and Washu are friends who want to bring two of their children together.

I have a fun idea: Tenchi Moyu does Happy Days!

Basically it revolves around the teenaged misadventures of Tenchi and his friends as they try to survive high school and make it with the girls.

Cast: Tenchi Masaki as the Richie Cunningham character

Ryoko as the female Fonzie character

Sasami as the Joanie Cunningham character

Nobuyuki Masaki as the Howard Cunningham character

Aeka as the Shirley Feeney character

Kiyone as the Laverne Defazio Character

Mihoshi as the female Arnold character(The Pat Morita version that is)

Washu as the Marion Cunningham character

And of course Robin Williams as Mork from Ork! soawesome1

Yukinojo
      Participant
      none

mitsuki lover wrote:

Ryoko as the female Fonzie character

She would break the Jukebox with her fist, lol

But what other teenage group shows that Tenchi could model off of since you mentioned Happy Days?

SnowQueen
      The breakfast club?
      I always imagined Kiyone and Mihoshi as a Tenchi version of Laverne & Shirley.

OTOH Tenchi himself would work as the hero of a series along the lines of Dobie Gillis but that would mean Ryoko would have to be Maynard G. Krebs= “WORK?!” 😆

Either that or she’s Zelda.And thus I age myself( though Aeka as the Tuesday Weld character might in fact work).

Yukinojo
      Participant
      none
      Actually the one thing I actually want to see is a Mihoshi and Kiyone fight. In a Tenchi verse, those two would have fought or sparred at least once in the GP. I want to see Kiyone actually test Mihoshi’s skills as a detective and GP officer, that is something I want.
      I want to see Kiyone kill Mihoshi is a fit of anger and get off scot free because the jury finds it

justified homicide! 😆 😆

Yukinojo
      Participant
      none
      Tenchi Fighting anime, all the girl characters fighting in a tournament. It is a good excuse to bring back some characters and crossover others.
      Is that simply because a lot of us want to see a Shayla Shayla vs. Ryoko fight?
      Yukinojo
      Participant
      none

mitsuki lover wrote:

Is that simply because a lot of us want to see a Shayla Shayla vs. Ryoko fight?

Yes, is there anything wrong with that?

Nobuyuki
      Participant
      My money’s on the red-head.
      Yukinojo
      Participant
      none

Nobuyuki wrote:

My money’s on the red-head.

Can’t go against the blue haired demon.

Mine’s on Mihoshi…as Washuu might put it.

Never bet against the ditz!

Yukinojo
      Participant
      none
      I want to see Ayeka vs Kiyone fight. You usually never get to see these two together, why not put both of them in the spotlight.
      Hmmm….this seems to have gone from a New Continuity thread to a versus thread all of a sudden.

I still want a Dark Sasami story arc.

Yukinojo
      Participant
      none

mitsuki lover wrote:

Hmmm….this seems to have gone from a New Continuity thread to a versus thread all of a sudden.

Still, a fighting anime would be interesting, a lot of action and limited talking. In almost every anime I’ve watched there’s talking while a fight is taking place between the fighters. I know there’s suppose to be a story and character development, but there’s a lot of unnecessary talking where there should be fighting. Kinda like more spoken through visual than words style of storytelling.

Suddenly I am picturing a Dragonball Z scenario where the fighting goes on for ten or eleven

episodes or even an entire season.

Yukinojo
      Participant
      none

mitsuki lover wrote:

Suddenly I am picturing a Dragonball Z scenario where the fighting goes on for ten or eleven

episodes or even an entire season.

At least some of those fights is them talking or flashbacks, I mean for a reasonable length fight in a Tenchi fight Tournament.

Hey a title for the fighting anime: Heaven and Earth Tournament

Or how about No Need For A Script, 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆
      Yukinojo
      Participant
      none

mitsuki lover wrote:

No Need For A Script

Where would one start if they were trying to get a show pitched?

To be honest I think the first step would be to get an agent to pitch it for you. I really don’t think you can get anything done like pitching a new version of Tenchi without an agent

to represent you and do all the necessary negotiations and paperwork.

Yukinojo
      Participant
      none

mitsuki lover wrote:

To be honest I think the first step would be to get an agent to pitch it for you. I really don’t think you can get anything done like pitching a new version of Tenchi without an agent

to represent you and do all the necessary negotiations and paperwork.

Chuck, he would be our negotiator, I mean if he is up for it.

It would depend if he was in business or criminal law.
      Yukinojo
      Participant
      none

mitsuki lover wrote:

It would depend if he was in business or criminal law.

I think he’s criminal, judging by his avvy, though he might have some advice at going to make a negotiation or avoiding legal trap or something.

Well next time he pops up for breath you can ask him.Though from what he stated before it does appear that he’s going to be busy for quite awhile,which means his appearances here at the forum will be rather sporadic.
      Yukinojo
      Participant
      none

Dagon123 wrote:

Ukinojo92 wrote:

wwwwhhhhoooo wrote:

Ukinojo92 wrote:

Dagon123 wrote:

2016 or 2017 seems like a fair time for a full series resurgence of Tenchi, I don’t know, it just feels like that.

I think i called OVA 4’s coming, i mean technically it is a resurgence, though not a strong and ideal as it was hoped to be. It still gives the chance for something more to be happening later in the future, even though alot of us won’t be around to see.

Viewing 176 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.