Tenchi DVDs and ISM/SKT

The carnival starts here! Discuss all the things about the main cast we all know and love!
147 posts • Page 8 of 151 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 15

Re: Tenchi DVDs and ISM/SKT

Postby JGZinv » Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:25 pm

at least the art doesn't include bat-ear ryoko...
We are still small flowers without names. We are small beings that finally budded,
supported by those larger than us.
But we dream... of the day when we will eventually
blossom under the wide open sky.
JGZinv
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter
Progress to next rank:
78.8%

2 years of membership2 years of membership

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter Share on Digg Digg

Postby mitsuki lover » Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:26 pm

Poor Ryo-Ohki looks like a Koala bear.
mitsuki lover
The Chosen One
The Chosen One
Progress to next rank:
60.2%

Postby chucklocker » Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:35 pm

OK guys. Here it is. The OFFICIAL chucklocker review/inside look into the FUNImation Tenchi Universe box set!

By now I'm sure you've all seen the cover of the box set so I will forgo showing you that in favor of showing you the reverse side of the box, which includes the most comically inaccurate "Continuity Map" I have EVER seen. Seriously, it's like they didn't even try to get the continuities straight!
Now we come to the inside of the box itself. While the outer cardboard sleeve is nice and glossy, the plastic of the case itself is extremely flimsy. Plus, I don't like that they were too lazy to print up a little guide booklet to put in the inner sleeve. Instead they just printed the episode list on the reverse of the cover lol.
At this point you may be thinking, like I was, that the inside of this box set is pretty damn disappointing, but then we come to this beautiful sight in the back that ALMOST makes it all better!
Now that we all have gotten an eyeful of that, let's turn to the DVD's themselves. Here are the Menus of each of the four discs.
As you can see, function over form is the name of the game here. Although I have to say that the background art of the last two menus are pretty sweet! (especially that Kiyone x Tenchi one :Cheeks: )
I do have one MAJOR complaint about the menus, however, and that is the horrendously bad background music they chose to use! Rather than get something that makes sense/is pleasing to the ear, they chose to use that Godawful elevator music from the FUNI trailer for the box set! UGH!

Now to everybody's biggest question: The extras. Short answer: there are none. Actually, you do get two cool things which are textless versions of the opening and ending vids of the show, but I mean they have been available on YT for years now... Other than that all you get is the stupid funi trailer mentioned above, and a few trailers for other funi sets.

All in all, this is a cheap box set for a cheap price. I suppose that for the price, this is a very reasonable box set, I just wish there were more extra features. Also, that star map on the back is just awful!
Verdict: 7/10.
"Life, for ever dying to be born afresh, for ever young and eager, will presently stand upon this earth as upon a footstool, and stretch out its realm amidst the stars."
chucklocker
Support Team
Support Team
Progress to next rank:
76%
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Postby WisperG » Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:27 pm

Thanks for the pics!

I don't think that map is so bad though. I've seen people screw up the Tenchi continuities much worse than that. The only thing really wrong with it is that they didn't connect Geminar to GXP (despite them even mentioning the connection in the announcement PR report). I do find it rather odd that they're using the name Tenchi Muyo in Love 2 for the third movie instead of Tenchi Forever. Its either a mistake, or they're planning to go with the original JP name which will undoubtably cause some confusion.

EDIT:
Oh wait, I see now that they forgot OVA 2 or they're are just lumping it in with OVA 1, but then why bother putting the one in the dot?
I'm watching you...
WisperG
Legend of the Stars
Legend of the Stars
Progress to next rank:
17.2%

Postby Kiyoka » Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:29 pm

I love the artwork where its Tenchi and Kiyone at the front. I wonder why? Either way I love it! Kiyone gets the front row :Tenchismile:

Lets face it, only Pioneer got it right. Funi will never reach their glory, not even close.
Kiyoka
Space Pirate
Space Pirate
Progress to next rank:
52%

Postby Dagon123 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:44 pm

WisperG wrote:Thanks for the pics!

I don't think that map is so bad though. I've seen people screw up the Tenchi continuities much worse than that. The only thing really wrong with it is that they didn't connect Geminar to GXP (despite them even mentioning the connection in the announcement PR report). I do find it rather odd that they're using the name Tenchi Muyo in Love 2 for the third movie instead of Tenchi Forever. Its either a mistake, or they're planning to go with the original JP name which will undoubtably cause some confusion.

EDIT:
Oh wait, I see now that they forgot OVA 2 or they're are just lumping it in with OVA 1, but then why bother putting the one in the dot?

Fans screwing up a map is far different then the official R1 company haphazardly throwing a "continuity map" together that holes can be shot through before it's mass release, lol and yes, the OVA map is just a mess
Sometimes....Its just fate
Dagon123
Site Founder
Site Founder
Progress to next rank:
52.8%
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership

Postby Nobuyuki » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:55 pm

includes the most comically inaccurate "Continuity Map" I have EVER seen. Seriously, it's like they didn't even try to get the continuities straight!

I don't see the problem. :?

Please explain. :ghost:
There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
Nobuyuki
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter
Progress to next rank:
85.6%

Postby WisperG » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:08 pm

Oddly enough, they seem to be using Geneon's original logo for the ad on the FUNi.com series page for Universe (give it a minute to load, it takes awhile).

http://www.funimation.com/tenchi-muyo-t ... des?page=1
I'm watching you...
WisperG
Legend of the Stars
Legend of the Stars
Progress to next rank:
17.2%

Postby Dagon123 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:17 pm

WisperG wrote:Oddly enough, they seem to be using Geneon's original logo for the ad on the FUNi.com series page for Universe (give it a minute to load, it takes awhile).

http://www.funimation.com/tenchi-muyo-t ... des?page=1

They are, as well as the picture from the back of the boxset (everyone in swimsuits)
Sometimes....Its just fate
Dagon123
Site Founder
Site Founder
Progress to next rank:
52.8%
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Postby WisperG » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:10 pm

Hmm, so it appears they really are going with Tenchi Muyo in Love 2 instead of Tenchi Forever. I just found a recently added page for the upcoming movie collection that lists the movie titles and...it uses TMiL2. As I said before,I get the feeling this is going to cause some confusion among the causual fans :?
http://www.funimation.com/tenchi-muyo-movies
I'm watching you...
WisperG
Legend of the Stars
Legend of the Stars
Progress to next rank:
17.2%

PreviousNext

147 posts • Page 8 of 151 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 15

Return to Tenchi Muyo!