The carnival starts here! Discuss all the things about the main cast we all know and love!
by SilverWhisper
#21905 I find Outlanders more influential. If anything, Tenchi is basically its spiritual successor.

Still, I love Toshihiro Hirano's character designs. They should be considered on par with high profile 80s character designers like Haruhiko Mikimoto (his mentor) and of course, Akemi Takada.

It makes me wonder, considering the many aspects from Megazone 23: Part 1 which were recycled for Iczer, was this why AIC decided for Part 2 to have different shitty character designs? With the exception of animation assistance, they had nothing to do with Part 1.
by Dagon123
SilverWhisper wrote:I find Outlanders more influential. If anything, Tenchi is basically its spiritual successor.

Influential to anime as whole? Yes, but particularly to Tenchi? No

For a long time (pretty much since I brought it up here, lol) the Iczer series has had a close tie to Tenchi, particularly through Iczer 3 (released over here as Iczer Reborn). Not only because of the GLARINGLY obvious influence that Iczer-3 had on Ryoko's character and design, but the fact that both Hiroki Hayashi and Masaki Kajishima worked on Iczer-3

This is one of the earliest "Ryoko" Sketches from the 10th anniversary Tenchi set

And here's Iczer and Iczer 3

It basically looks like Kajishima took Iczer 1, put Iczer 3's hair on her and then drew it into a semi-original style, I mean look at this cover of Animenominous, it's not that far removed from Ryoko, it's not hard to imagine someone close to production in Japan could spin it easily

by Yosho24
#21908 Holy crap, thats almost eerie. Uncurl iczer 3's hair at the sides and it's basically ryoko :shock:
by SilverWhisper
Dagon123 wrote:Influential to anime as whole? Yes, but particularly to Tenchi? No

Yes, her appearance is certainly derived from Iczer, as well as the whole concept of synthetic lifeforms wielding power from their hands. I was referring to the themes of Tenchi and Outlanders being comparable, and specifically Ryoko personality. Kahm strikes me as being more similar to her for the fact she falls in love with what appears to be an ordinary man, is oblivious to her destructive nature, and has a complicated past. She is also entangled with the affairs of an extraterritorial empires, clearly paralleling Jurai. Although, that might be taking it a stretch too far.

Understanding that Kajishima was with AIC since its formation, it's logical to believe he's worked on most their projects before Tenchi and his decision to go freelance. Iczer 3 was proof of his ability, and essentially the spark, while Tenchi was the fire of his success.
by chucklocker
#21919 I've only seen the first episode of Iczer One, so I can't really comment too much on how much or how little the franchise influenced Tenchi. I was aware of the uncanny resemblance of Iczer 3 to Ryoko before, and there are certainly more than a few similarities between the shows. I hadn't heard much about Outlanders before you and Dagon brought it up, Silver, and I'd be very interested in checking it out. At the end of the day, the best any of us can really do is speculate as to what may have inspired the creators of Tenchi, but given the AIC connection it's probably safe to assume that these shows were at the very least proving grounds for concepts that would be reworked for Tenchi.
by mitsuki lover
#22007 AFAIG the only difference between the Iczer and Ryoko character designs that I see are the ears.Unless I'm missing something about Ryoko's ears.
And Chuck...yeah you should check out Outlandersif you can.
by Dagon123
mitsuki lover wrote:And Chuck...yeah you should check out Outlandersif you can.

Just for reference for those that don't know

Here is Princess Kahm from Outlanders