The carnival starts here! Discuss all the things about the main cast we all know and love!
User avatar
by DragonLord
#27060 I completely agree with everything you said Deathsight, the old art style was way better in Tenchi Universe imo, plus they definitely have to fix the character development issue and make them back to what it was in the other series. Like I said in the other thread I love that idea with Ryoko fighting Zero again and they should definitely use that idea in OVA 4.
User avatar
by shadowstorm
#27062 I agree as well I prefer the art style in Tenchi Universe they need to change it back to that and make them look exactly like that in Tenchi Universe. I really do want more episodes in each OVA as well with like 20 episodes in each OVA, so each one is like a series or a full season. They definitely need to get back Petrea Burchard back as the voice actress for Ryoko nobody else can do her. Nobody else will do it is either Petrea Burchard or no one at all! I also do really like that idea for Ryoko fighting Zero and removing Zero from Ryoko because she threatens Ryoko's life and wants to have Tenchi all to herself, but letting Ryoko still be able to express her emotions because she learnt how to on her own. That is an excellent plot and they really should put in the fourth OVA. I would really want to see that. They could call it the Return of Zero Ryoko.

I never liked that they made Ryoko assimilate with a robot just to express her emotions. It's like she is no longer the true Ryoko. Everytime I look at her your wondering is she being like that because she has learnt how to or is it because she is being forced to because of Zero. You always keep wondering and guessing. They should get rid of the guess work and just remove Zero from her, but still let her be able to keep her emotions. That way she will be 100% Ryoko, with no robot added to her, they should have never made her assimilate with a robot in the first place. That would make her feel like the real Ryoko again when you see her. Like I already said the way Deathsight explains it would make an excellent plot for the story.
User avatar
by mitsuki lover
#27063 So who is this new VA for Ryoko that 'everyone' hates?
I put everyone in quotes because I don't know if that's an actual consenus of all the fans who've seen
OVA 3 or simply the opinion of a few fans such as the OP.
Perhaps OVA 4 should be a sub only concern,which would solve the whole Ryoko voice question and simply have Orikasa Ai do her. soawesome1

AFAIG:with Tenchi choosing a girl,I think you're missing the whole point of the franchise,if he were to actually choose one that would be the end of it for a lot of us.Also according to Tenchi In Tokyo
didn't he make his choice and it was None of the Above?(Someone remind me if I'm wrong here since I've never seen TiT.)

Personally I think he should choose Aeka or Kiyone but that's just me,if he had to choose a single girl.Otherwise I would go with a trio of Aeka,Ryoko and Kiyone.
User avatar
by Dagon123
#27070
Deathsight wrote: Is it true that funimation didn't use her because she missed her plane to the recording session, because if it that is lame. They need to get her back no matter what that is a must.


No one knows why as Petrea has never spoken about that matter publicly, although she has come close recently.

The current prevailing hypothesis (made by yours truly), if we were to follow what happened publicly between the original cast of Trigun and Funimation for Badlands Rumble, then one can surmise that Petrea was asking for a respectable amount of money which Funimation was unwilling to pay, and instead dubbed it without her with Mona Marshall.

Adding to this is the fact that Matt Miller, a proud SAG member, had no problem alluding to the fact his performance in OVA3 was because Funimation were paying him next to nothing "You get what you pay for", as he said.

Naturally I think after the overwhelmingly negative response that Mona got in GXP and OVA3 (Which even FUNi staff have admitted on the Anime News Network Podcast) if anything, they'll sign Petrea before they sign anyone else at this point.

Mitsuki Lover wrote:So who is this new VA for Ryoko that 'everyone' hates?


See above

I've said it multiple times on here and in podcasts, but I think I can speak for most fans, in that we do not hate Mona Marshall as a voice actress, she does what she does well, but as a replacement for Ryoko, she was one of the worst calls and choices they could have picked (which lends somewhat credence to the idea that maybe Mona was a last resort and they just couldn't seal the deal with Petrea in a timely manner and just doubled down)
User avatar
by Deathsight
#27074 I have to disagree with you mitsuki lover, no most fans want English dub so doing it only in sub wouldn't do. That's why they say they want back Petrea Burchard. With Tenchi choosing a girl I am not missing the point of the franchise. As I and wwwwhhhhoooo stated before the story was originally structured to be just about him and Ryoko, which you can still see in the OVA's with the major developments in terms of relationship between them. I am not saying there isn't any for the others but most of it or at least the most significant ones happen between him and Ryoko. People have to remember that Tenchi Muyo was not created by just one person but by a team, namely three people, which is why they are all still referred to as co-creators.
If he doesn't end up choosing a girl then the whole thing was pointless with all the arguing and fighting over him was all for nothing if there is no definite outcome in the end as to which one he chooses. It would be what was the point of the whole thing if in the end he just ends up with everyone. No there has to be a definite winner.

It is like wwwwhhhhoooo stated above the natural progression of things would lead to him choosing one of the girls. Also where wwwwhhhhoooo said
wwwwhhhhoooo wrote: what made Tenchi alluring to most people is quite simple: who's he gonna' choose? Who's going to "win" Tenchi? If you look at other works of the original director (Hayashi), like El Hazard, it's not hard to see that this was in fact his (and likely writer Naoko Hasegawa's) vision. It's simple but brilliant: people cheer for their 'team' the fans are in their little camps, and you've got an invested viewership, suspense, and rom-com gold without having to try that hard. You can have a vibrant cast of characters, even fun flirty moments, ecchi fan service, and real relationships all with an uneven boy-to-girl ratio: it doesn't automatically make it a harem. It's called life, interacting with other human(oid)s; doesn't mean 'oh gee, girl talked to me? I got some!'
As Tenchi matures from being a teenager to an adult, he would have to "man up" so to speak and either take the relationship to the next level, or it halts altogether; all the while making your intentions known. If Tenchi in ANY of its incarnations continued, the natural progression would be something akin to Keiichi and Belldandy in Ah My Goddess! There's other girls around, but it doesn't mean Keiichi's going to have children with them for goodness sake.

Ryoko is who Tenchi 'ought to' end up with imho, because that's how it was structured initially, it's how it was built up, and it's how it was interpreted by the likes of director Hiroshi Negishi with his canon. But I can see why one could make a case for Ayeka (it's fun to make cases for the others, but there's no real candidates other than Ayeka and Ryoko; not bashing, it's just how it is, the others don't show romantic interest beyond a little bit of flirtatiousness). In El Hazard, I love the character Shayla Shayla, and my 'favorite girl' is Nanami...but the director made it clear that his heart isn't set on either of them: Makoto's heart is set on Ifurita.


It is also like I said before there are many harem animes built up in the exact same way with almost identical situations in which Tenchi is in now, but they end with the guy actually choosing one girl. So there is nothing wrong with Tenchi actually choosing a girl, since that is what most fans want to see, and most want to see him choose Ryoko. If he chooses her it would not be the end, it would be a way for fans to see how the rest progressively come to terms with his decision as their relationship grows, which is something most wanted to see at the end of Tenchi Universe. It would open new possibilities and storylines on how Ryoko's and Tenchi's relationship grow, while still living just as a family with the rest. This would actually be a more interesting concept and plot line. Some fans have even suggested on how during their future adventures in new OVA's they travel through space and the others meet up other people who become allies to Tenchi and who become love interests to the other girls, ending with all of them living together in maybe a huge imperial villa. That would be way more interesting to see how the different families interact with the girls arguing and dragging their poor husbands into it, and going off on adventures together.
User avatar
by Ukinojo92
#27075 This is just ideas for new Tenchi, in my head and would not be offended at critique:

The Tenchi Household goes against an Evil Parallel Washu that already conquered her universe with her genius.
Ayeka and Sasami are targeted by pirates that used to work for Ryoko in her previous pirate life.
The Tenchi household traveling among the galaxy
Someone erases the Tenchi Household memories making them estranged, except for Tenchi.

These are just random ideas thrown around, but also sound like good fanfic material.
User avatar
by Deathsight
#27079 You know I have been thinking a lot about this today. The only way to fix this whole OVA 3 problem is to recall the whole thing. Just have them recall the whole thing and rewrite the whole thing, they could say 'we made a mistake' and they just remove the whole thing. There were just too many mistakes, too many things gone wrong and too much weird stuff that happened that just made the whole thing terrible. It wouldn't be unprecedented to recall the OVA, anime companies have done this before where they release a season for a series or an OVA and recall it back because it was just terrible and because of viewer and fan response.

They could just do the same thing, that would be the easiest thing to do and best way to fix the whole thing. They should use the things we have said on what they got wrong in OVA 3 and how to fix and make a good OVA 4, and just rewrite the whole thing in order to make a new better version of OVA 3. They should definitely use what fans have said that they want to see in future OVA's and use what fans said that they got wrong, was missing, should get rid of or want changed, like most of the stuff listed in this thread, to make an even better one. They could call it Tenchi Muyo OVA 3 version 2.0.

That would be the absolute best way to fix it.
User avatar
by Dagon123
#27097
Ukinojo92 wrote:This is just ideas for new Tenchi, in my head and would not be offended at critique:

The Tenchi Household goes against an Evil Parallel Washu that already conquered her universe with her genius.
Ayeka and Sasami are targeted by pirates that used to work for Ryoko in her previous pirate life.
The Tenchi household traveling among the galaxy
Someone erases the Tenchi Household memories making them estranged, except for Tenchi.

These are just random ideas thrown around, but also sound like good fanfic material.


I really like these 2 because they have the potential to expand some areas we rarely see.

Ayeka and Sasami are often times put into the background, and having THEM be the targets would be interesting because they are going to be in the spotlight more, thus seeing more emotion.

The idea of essentially reversing the plot of Tenchi Muyo in Love 2 would be awesome because it would force Tenchi to show real emotion, and less "reactive" emotion, who is he going to try and get to remember him first? How would he go about making each of them remember? Who would be the first?

Great ideas Ukinojo.
User avatar
by Ukinojo92
#27098
Someone erases the Tenchi Household memories making them estranged, except for Tenchi.


Dagon123 wrote:

The idea of essentially reversing the plot of Tenchi Muyo in Love 2 would be awesome because it would force Tenchi to show real emotion, and less "reactive" emotion, who is he going to try and get to remember him first? How would he go about making each of them remember? Who would be the first?


My guess, if the erasing memories story was took up, it would be Washu first. Hypothetically, if they were all in the house when they woke up with no memories, except Tenchi, Washu would be the first to notice and ask. Ryoko would probably fight or fly off and resume piracy, Ayeka would be bewildered and resume princess role and try to leave or talk down to everyone. Mihoshi would probably just eat or say hi and be friendly, but then realize Ryoko is a pirate then chase her. Sasami would most likely be the most friendly to Tenchi, like in OVA 2. Out of all of this, Washu would question, "Why am I in a house, on earth with: princesses, a pirate, a space cop, and a earthling boy talking like he knows me?" and take initiative to find out. Washu would question Tenchi and examine him and herself, and find out what happened, then move on to the others.

Next would be Ayeka and Sasami, them being princesses on earth they would probably call for a ride home or demand a explanation from Tenchi. Having Washu explain with her science, Ayeka would be skeptical at first but then reason why would she be with her sister on earth in a house with a boy and a genius scientist and cautiously follow them, Sasami would just follow along her sister.

Washu would eventually track Mihoshi because she is a cop and isn't trying to hide or run like Ryoko. My guess after they meet with her she trips and hits her head and then remembers, or Washu uses a frying pan to hit her, or a piko hammer. Ryoko, the best for last, with all the gang almost back and remembered, they would do their best to convince her, while not being shot at by her. My hypothetical is that when she left, she would "feel" something amiss in herself. And when she meets Tenchi again, hearing him naturally talk to her would spark something, a feeling of comfort or place in the group that came to her.

The reason I say Ryoko would be last because it would be like the roles or In Love 2 reversed, Tenchi coming to Ryoko to bring her back, the same way Ryoko brought Tenchi back.

Totally my thoughts on what Dagon said
User avatar
by mitsuki lover
#27102 My point I was trying to make was that you have to be careful when you say 'everyone'.I mean who
really is this 'everyone' of which people speak? I'm sorry but it does get on my case whenever I read
something where a writer uses 'everyone' without properly clarifying their meaning.I think the
wording should have been:"Everyone I have talked to about it..." or "Everyone who is a dub
fan..." or "Everyone who was asked in a poll..."

As far as the whole thing goes,the best thing to do is to entirely ignore OVA 3 then and consider it the
Tenchi version of Star Trek 5.