The carnival starts here! Discuss all the things about the main cast we all know and love!
by susano
#27105 My ideal for OVA 4 is focus on it being a sequel to TM: RYO-OHKI. The series starts sometime after the events of GXP. Tenchi will be ronin. His reasons for becoming a ronin are a result of his need to learn how to manage and to control his emerging Kami powers, to study for his university entrance exams, and to decide on what college to go to. Tenchi helps his grandfather Katsuhito as an associate priest.

Before OVA 4 begins, Tenchi had learn that he has another older sister and two kid sisters. Tenchi's two kid sisters are identical twins who happen to be polar opposites. Tenchi's younger sisters play an important part in the series.

During the first episode, Tenchi finds out that the Kuramitsu family Council has agreed to allow Tenchi to become Miihoshi's fiancé. Strangely, Tenchi has only gone on two dates with Mihoshi. Also, he hasn't proposed to her. In the same episode, Tenhci learns from his father that he is engaged to a daughter of one of his Galaxy Academy friends. Nobuyki informs Tench that the engagement was a result of a promise which his mother and he made with their Academy friends. Tenchi's unexpected fiancée is one of his two kid sister's best friends. She is very similar to Tenchi in Tokyo's Sayuka. She is determine to fulfill her parents' promise.

Tenchi does go out on dates with Ayeka, Ryoko, Washu, Noike and his new fiancée. Ryoko, and Ayeka have learn to tolerate Tenchi's unexpected fiancé. Tenchi's new fiancée is persistent in helping her future co-wives.

The antagonist of the series is connected to Tenchi's new fiancée. He happens to be a member of the Airai. His reasons for being the antagonist are focus on exposing the plans of the rogue secret society which he is a member of. Also, the antagonist is one of Airi's brothers.

Airi and Minaho have decided to take maternity leave. Katsuhito is a little upset over Airi's plans to have another child. Funaho and Misaki have a surprise for Aykea, Sasami, and Katsuhito. Azusa agrees to allowing Tenchi to married Ayeka and Sasami under specific conditions. One of his conditions is for Tenchi and Ayeka to name their first son after his father Kazuki.

As usual, Tenchi does his best to accept what is happening to him. He contimues to focus on his year as a ronin. During the series, Tenchi is able to make his decision on what college to go to. Strangely, Tenchi is a little upset since Ayeka and Ryoko want to go to the same college.

Kiyofacepalm1
picard1
by evilpii
#27109 OVA 4, you say? qt1

Video from : youtu.be

We must rebuild. But, who will lead us in the rebuilding process? Man, it's got to be someone with the know-how and the elbow grease to lead us to a new land. No, not evilpii, he doesn't have the cognitive capacity to lead.

Alright, I'll do it! gendo1

After the Renza Federation girls are integrated into Seina's crew, Yuzuha breaks into the OVA reality via the Tree of Darkness since the dimensional fabric is still weak after Tenchi's esoteric spasm in OVA series 3. She wrecks Jurai's fleet, as well as the GP and the Galaxy Army. The Chousin swoop down to take her down and get wrecked just as much. Tenchi breaks 100 dimensions, killing everyone except Tokimi. The chaos goddess then uses the last of her life force to reset the universe one last time. However, now this universe will have no god, not even Tenchi.

Where's my check? aquateencarl1
by Ukinojo92
evilpii wrote:

“We must rebuild. But, who will lead us in the rebuilding process? Man, it's got to be someone with the know-how and the elbow grease to lead us to a new land. No, not evilpii, he doesn't have the cognitive capacity to lead.

Alright, I'll do it! gendo1

After the Renza Federation girls are integrated into Seina's crew, Yuzuha breaks into the OVA reality via the Tree of Darkness since the dimensional fabric is still weak after Tenchi's esoteric spasm in OVA series 3. She wrecks Jurai's fleet, as well as the GP and the Galaxy Army. The Chousin swoop down to take her down and get wrecked just as much. Tenchi breaks 100 dimensions, killing everyone except Tokimi. The chaos goddess then uses the last of her life force to reset the universe one last time. However, now this universe will have no god, not even Tenchi.

Where's my check? aquateencarl1

At your real job, lol. But seriously, the idea sounds like you would need to marathon or cut parts from every continuity to explain it. Also the last part sounds like the ending to Space Dandy. qt1
by Deathsight
#27114 In terms of using the phrase everyone it is specific enough in the context it was used so does not require explanation. For the rest of the posts, this is a thread about correcting the mistakes of OVA 3 or removing it all together by in making a better OVA 4 or OVA 3 version 2.0 and rewriting it completely with the mistakes corrected.

Future ideas can be posted as long as they deal with correcting these mistakes (such as more development in terms of relationships, example Tenchi and Ryoko, or some of the other girls finding other love interests in the end as suggested in the post above) or finding solutions for plot points or events that you felt were mistaken or wrong. Those posts for future ideas specifically that don't already involve some event or plot point that you feel was mistaken that has already occurred in Tenchi, there is another thread for that.
by evilpii
Deathsight wrote:In terms of using the phrase everyone it is specific enough in the context it was used so does not require explanation. For the rest of the posts, this is a thread about correcting the mistakes of OVA 3 or removing it all together by in making a better OVA 4 or OVA 3 version 2.0 and rewriting it completely with the mistakes corrected.

Future ideas can be posted as long as they deal with correcting these mistakes (such as more development in terms of relationships, example Tenchi and Ryoko, or some of the other girls finding other love interests in the end as suggested in the post above) or finding solutions for plot points or events that you felt were mistaken or wrong. Those posts for future ideas specifically that don't already involve some event or plot point that you feel was mistaken that has already occurred in Tenchi, there is another thread for that.

I apologize if the sarcasm of my previous post was not well-received. The video was the source of the quote I paraphrased. However, I do believe what I have proposed is feasible and satisfies several of the criteria you have set forward. Allow me to elaborate.

First, the OVA continuity is overflowing with characters that serve little purpose than background, and yet have entire series dedicated to them. One way to trim the fat of the series would be the cull them. I claim a powerful adversary could easily achieve this.

Second, most of the cast in the OVA are nearly untouchable (e.g. Tenchi, Washu, Seto). Even Seina seems to have a guardian angel being saved by Ryo-Ohki, the Chobimaru, Mikagami, and the Zinv idol. I have already explained at length my issues with OVA 3 and GXP in terms of plot and characterization, so I will not repeat myself here. The protagonists need to be hurt, shown to be lacking. Without a struggle or journey, there is no story. An adversary seen destroying much of the universe's military might would establish this very conflict, much like Kagato's massacre of the White Rock Fleet in OVA 1 episode 4.

Further addressing the untouchable aspect, the deity of the cast should be removed, along with the "universal reset" option. Why have any plot or development if it can be just washed away with the literal wave of a hand as in OVA 3 episode 6? Admittedly, Hexagram of Love did this also, but only after every one of the main cast lay dead. In fact, this is the very vein I have proposed. Hurt the protagonists, even kill them. Make the cast vulnerable, fallible. Make the audience feel for those characters as they suffer. Put them into a desperate position where the reset is the only option left, but at a price. Use it once and then never again. I believe having Tokimi reset the universe with her last breath would endear her more so than as a flying chibi. I envision this much like Crisis on Infinite Earths from DC Comics, where many incarnations of famous characters died to be reborn in a new fused universe.

In short, as we have stated before in other threads, whatever incarnation the series takes, it must evoke some emotion from the audience to be successful. The audience must care about the characters. As such, they need events to make them grow, change, and most importantly, mature. Conflict is necessary for this, whether it is man-vs.-man, man-vs.-god, or man-vs.-self. These events should not be a farce, like Misao and Masishu's fake predicament aboard the Chobimaru in OVA 3 episode 5, where the event was openly staged. Make it real drama, where someone can lose and be defeated. Give a crisis to be resolved.

I resubmit my proposal for a dark force (e.g. Yuzuha, Kain) entering the OVA universe via a fissure caused by Tenchi's spasm in OVA 3 episode 6. This adds continuity with the existing works, as well as gives them consequences. I chose Yuzuha because she arises from Hasegawa's novels, the tenth specifically. Since her novels follow OVA 1, one could adapt more easily than from, say, Universe or Tokyo. A display of power by offing many of the military powers would establish the villain as a significant threat, particularly if core characters started dying in the process. Tenchi breaking dimensions was an exaggeration from OVA 3 episode 6, but him killing everyone in the process was straight from Hexgram of Love. I chose Tokimi to resurrect the universe with her last breath since, unlike Washu and Tsunami, she has not had time to be endeared to the audience, even in the doujinshi or novels. This final act of salvation would give a reason to care about her, the last Chousin standing, watching her sisters and friends die, the one to save them all. Notably, this is in opposition to how I would usually write her.

Ukinojo92 wrote:Also the last part sounds like the ending to Space Dandy. qt1

Yes, Ukinojo, this would be like the ending of Space Dandy, by design. Dandy realized being a god is not fun. Where is the adventure or drama or passion of the finiteness of life when you are omniscient and omnipotent? This is a main theme in most fiction that being eternal has negative effects, not happiness forever. Unless a god-like storyline can be made compelling, it should not exist. Hence, erase it from existence.

Ukinojo92 wrote:But seriously, the idea sounds like you would need to marathon or cut parts from every continuity to explain it.

This is false. Except for Yuzuha, my proposal relies only on the OVA series 1-3 and GXP. The Galaxy Army is established in GXP, the Galaxy Police in OVA 1, and the Chousin are a point on OVA 3. I took ideas and inspiration from Hasegawa's novels, but not explicit events.
by susano
#27193 While writing a fanfiction story ideal for episode I, I remembered that the Airai religion has one of its origins in religious relics. Most of the relics seem to have originated from some lost ancient civilizations . The main antagonist for OVA 4 can be searching for some legendary relics. It turns out that the legendary relics are on the planet Earth. One of the relics happens to have been found by Washu. The rogue secret society whom the antagonist belongs to have learn about the discovery of some of the legendary relics. The secret society will do anything to retrieved the legendary relics.

The main antagonist and the other villains have learn about Airi's secret marriage to Yosho. According to one of the Airi's bios, the discovery of Airi's marriage to Yosho by the Airai can lead to serious troubles. The Airai's present Hierarch is well aware of Airi having two daughters.

The rogue secret society will used the information as a way to disrupt any further attempts by Jurai and the Airai to improve relations. Strangely, the information about Airi's marriage to Yosho turns out to be worth nothing at all. While some of the hardcore Airai are offended by Airi's marriage to Yosho, the majority of the Airai seem not to care about the matter.

kain2-1
by Ukinojo92
#27194 Some more ideas rattling in my head:

-meet Mihoshi's previous partners
-average day in the city with the gang
-earth anti-alien group vs the Tenchi household
-Ryoko temporarily deputized in the gxp due to Mihoshi
-the household deciding on whether to stay together or not
-Ryoko gets framed for a crime
-Washu experiment throws the gang into parallel universes
-the gang save a planet independent of Jurai

thoughts?
by Marty Kirra
#28214 I would be so down for a reboot or a new universe. A continuation of Universe would be nice, hopefully without a bunch of new characters with one dimensional personalities if at all possible. I think when Tenchi tries to go too far into the "lol fanservice" route it really loses it charm, but Universe hit a really good stride towards the end and especially with the movies. It's crazy how great Tenchi Forever is, real talk.

Or you know, just animate the manga because Okuda knows his shit.
by Shounenbat
mitsuki lover wrote:I think it be nice to have an OVA that focused on Sasami finally becoming Tsuname and how that
results in any change of relationships with the rest of the cast.

I'd be really interested in that as well (I wonder if Misaki would have a heart attack on the spot?), but it would involve one crazy time skip.
by susano
#30478 While working on an ideal for a fan fiction project based on events after OVA 3, I noticed what will happen if Tenchi is allow to travel to the past in order to solve a mystery. The mystery invovles some events which play a part in the future. For Tenchi, solving the mystery is going to be difficult since it plays an important role in the death of his mother Kiyone.

Tenchi is not the protagonist in the story. The protagonist happens to be Tenchi's first fiancee Hotaru Masaki. Hotaru Masaki is still a granddaughter of the present Head of the Tatsuki House. Except for a couple of visits to the planet Jurai, Hotaru had live most of her life on Earth to date. Hotaru happens to be a female descendant of Katsuhito's first wife Kasumi Maskai. Also, she he happens to be of Kiriko's first cousins.

Hotaru and Tenchi do know that traveling back to time is going to be tricky. They are not going to be alone. Noike and one of Hotaru's male friends are coming with Tenchi and Hotaru. The timeline for the trip is between April and November. The year is likely 1925.

As part of the plans, Hotaru is pretending to be a girl who is slightly frail. Hotaru has to travel to a town located outside Kurashiki City Japan. The town happens to be the one next to the Masaki Shrine. Hotaru is staying at Hotaru Manor as a part of the recovery from her illness. Despite of being slightly frail, Hotaru is healthy enough to enjoy her favorite exercise, Swimming. Tenchi and Noike are pretending to be two of Hotaru's servants.

Hotaru, Noike, Tenchi, and Hotaru's male friend know that they can't avoid any form of contact with people like Tenchi's sister Tennyo and Katsuhito. Tenchi's oldest sisters Tennyo and Ami are staying at Hotaru Manor. Both sisters play a part in the mystery. Since Tennyo and Ami are staying at Hotaru Manor, Tenchi and the other know that they will be running into Tenchi's own parents and Hotaru's own parents.

The plot of my story follows the parallel world theory. The events which play leading up to Kiyone's death are somewhat familiar to the events of Tenchi: Universe, and the first Tenchi movie.

Kiyofacepalm1