The carnival starts here! Discuss all the things about the main cast we all know and love!
by Ukinojo92
#27513 The Tenchi gang is dear to the hearts of all fans of Tenchi. But there will be a time when they need to be put to rest before they are just overused to death. Kajishima doujins are just of the gangs retirement from the adventures they had and just a ordinary family life they are living. An entirely new set of characters would have to be introduced if the series is to be carried on for years to come. Tenchi is (as often said) a space-opera and archetype harem series, there is a chance for it to be succeeded and still bring in the Tenchi fans with it's own vibe. Tenchi is never just been one thing it's a lot of things put together in a way that everyone enjoys. A good storyline with the new characters could preserve the Tenchi franchise.

Thoughts and critique
by Dagon123
Ukinojo92 wrote:The Tenchi gang is dear to the hearts of all fans of Tenchi. But there will be a time when they need to be put to rest before they are just overused to death.

Firstly, very interesting post Ukinojo, but I don't think Tenchi will ever get to that point anymore, the content (especially anime wise) is spread so far apart that I don't think it can be overused.

Ukinojo92 wrote:Kajishima doujins are just of the gangs retirement from the adventures they had and just a ordinary family life they are living. An entirely new set of characters would have to be introduced if the series is to be carried on for years to come.

But there-in lies the problem, nobody wants to see new characters carry the name, people never have, the brand name "Tenchi Muyo!" is associated with 8 to 10 unique characters, and if those characters aren't there, it doesn't matter how good it is, they'll still crave the old cast.

A number of different franchises have tried it over the years, Scooby-doo tried it, Looney Tunes tried it, hell even Disney has tried it a few times, and when it's all said and done, it always comes back to the classics, because ultimately, that's what people came to it in the first place and fell in love with it for.

Ukinojo92 wrote:Tenchi is (as often said) a space-opera and archetype harem series, there is a chance for it to be succeeded and still bring in the Tenchi fans with it's own vibe. Tenchi is never just been one thing it's a lot of things put together in a way that everyone enjoys. A good storyline with the new characters could preserve the Tenchi franchise.

Thoughts and critique

If you want new characters with a Tenchi feel, the last thing you want to do is put the Tenchi name on it, all that does is water down the brand name (pretty much to the point where Tenchi was a few years ago).

If you want to do that, make it a "Spiritual Sequel" ala El-Hazard.

I think now more than ever a reboot would be good for Tenchi, better yet, make one final movie, regardless of continuity and just "end" Tenchi, then Reboot Tenchi without all of the baggage it's been carrying for 20 years, creating a line in the sand so that people know from that point on "This IS the Tenchi line for the future, if you want anything before it, there's one final movie and move on" so that everyone else who continues on with Tenchi is on the same page.
by Ukinojo92
Dagon123 Wrote:
I think now more than ever a reboot would be good for Tenchi, better yet, make one final movie, regardless of continuity and just "end" Tenchi, then Reboot Tenchi without all of the baggage it's been carrying for 20 years, creating a line in the sand so that people know from that point on "This IS the Tenchi line for the future, if you want anything before it, there's one final movie and move on" so that everyone else who continues on with Tenchi is on the same page.

What kind of format would Tenchi be coming back as? So far Tenchi has been OVA's, novels, full length tv series, manga, movies, doujins, 5 minute episodes, and from somewhere on this site, a comic strip. Spiritual successor or reboot, which would it do good on, and how long would it have to run for in order for people to get acquainted to recognize as the current content, that would standalone in the Tenchi-verse.

OVA's are not the thing anymore, the 5 min eps were too small, and the novels, manga, doujins don't get translated quickly, until fan does it. Don't know of anyone besides Tenchi fans that would see a movie, and if it is most likely a standard tv series would it be a 26 or 13 ep length? I could see them making a 13 ep season just to dap everyone into the series, the first two OVA's add up to 13 eps and everyone remembers those.

A standard 26 episode series would be a little daring in my opinion. True, Tenchi's formula is throw everything in a mix an not keep still. However, I think a 13 ep would satisfy a new start and make everyone want more which would create a regulated flow of seasons.

Thoughts and Critique
by mitsuki lover
#27544 I thought that was the whole reason we got series like War on Geminar in the first place.
It's Tenchi without having any of the regular characters in it.
by Ukinojo92
mitsuki lover wrote:I thought that was the whole reason we got series like War on Geminar in the first place.
It's Tenchi without having any of the regular characters in it.

Yeah I thought so too, but then Kajishima sunk that boat with his doujin's, with Kenshi doing every girl and their mom's. Kajishima is trying to sink the Tenchi at whatever chance there is, intentionally or not is debatable. If you want a new series, look towards Negishi as the franchises savior.

Insert Negishi picture with a halo and light coming around him here.
by wwwwhhhhoooo
Ukinojo92 wrote:Yeah I thought so too, but then Kajishima sunk that boat with his doujin's, with Kenshi doing every girl and their mom's.

Pretty much, at least I'm willing to bet. Geminar could still have a sequel in some form, and I'd enjoy it, but you wouldn't be seeing all of what's in those doujins (unless it's produced as hentai, and even then it wouldn't have the budget that the first series had). But that's neither here nor there for the topic of this post, I apologize and digress.

You're hitting a lot of stuff square on the nose, Ukinojo. We're right at the precipice of something, we just don't know what; and whether one wants to use the term "savior" or not (I'm not opposed), Negishi's running things artistically now and thus far appears to be slated to be just that. We'll see what he plans to do with this possible re-release of TMiL and an alternate ending.

But as far as the "start anew" approach, I think a lot of fans and the producers and the artists have all come to the same conclusion in some form or another because that is the inevitable endpoint: there's precedence for it, Tenchi is diverse enough to pull it off, it's its best chance of being commercially viable again, and it's outright needed. Ai Tenchi Muyo! has been just that: a new start. It wasn't connected to any of the continuities, tried to free itself from all the baggage, and threw in new characters for the 'next generation' feel while keeping the classic cast out of necessity.

Is the five minute format enough to do Tenchi justice? No. But the reason we got that was, as you said Ukinojo, twenty something episodes for TV would have been far too ambitious, and may still be yet. What does that leave us? Well, there's the movie realm, and hearing about how Negishi has wanted to do a TMiL 3 since 2009 makes me believe that's where he'll aim next. If it ends up being just that, it won't be a new continuity, but renewed interest in the franchise could lead to just that: a legit reboot, and a much needed fresh start.
by Ukinojo92
wwwwhhhhoooo wrote:
Well, there's the movie realm, and hearing about how Negishi has wanted to do a TMiL 3 since 2009 makes me believe that's where he'll aim next. If it ends up being just that, it won't be a new continuity, but renewed interest in the franchise could lead to just that: a legit reboot, and a much needed fresh start.

Like I said before A movie would be only viewed by a fan audience. It's not Miyazaki, the movie that everyone wants to see because Miyazaki made it, and then see it to realize why they love it. The only way I see a movie for Tenchi to bring in new crowds is to make awesome trailers or teasers. Tenchi got small promos and posters for it's anime, a couple of 1 minute teasers for movies like iL2, which in my opinion wasn't a real eye grabber. Even Ai only had posters localize to Takahashi city, they would need to somehow broadcast like a box office movie to make it notice by a lot.
by mitsuki lover
#27680 The big question with any new continuity is are you making it a reboot or a completely new series?
In a reboot you keep the original characters but maybe give them a bit of a facelift like the Abrams'
Star Trek.In a completely new series you start from scratch.
by susano
#27699 It is not going to be easy to develop a new continuity. I do like the ideal of a new Tenchi series which starts before Ryoko's appearance. In my series, Ryoko is a space pirate working for the Space Pirate Guild. The Space Pirate Guild is a guild of privateers who have a major connection with Jurai. The Guild is more of a mystery. It does harass some Galaxy Police and private cargo vessels on occasion.

Ryoko comes to Earth in order to contact Katsuhito. Before Ryoko was able to reach the Earth, she runs into Mihoshi and Kiyone. Assuming that Ryoko is a space pirate, Kiyone and Mihoshi start to chase Ryoko's ship. Ryoko is unable to contact Kiyone and Mihoshi because of the nature of her mission. After a brief battle, Ryoko's ship and Mihsohi and Kiyone's ships are damage. Both ships head for a remote area of Okayama Prefecture.

On his way home from school, Tenchi Masaki sees both ships coming from the skies. Ryoko's ship crashes close to the lake near Tenchi's home and the Masaki Shrine. First, Tenchi had assumed that Ryoko's ship was a private airplane. When Tenchi arrives at the crash site, he sees Ryoko lying unconscious on the ground next to her ship. Tenchi runs to Ryoko. After Tenchi gives Ryoko some water, she wakes up. When Ryoko sees Tenchi, she asks him where Katsuhito Masaki is in an alien language. Then Ryoko is able to speak in Tenchi's native language.

Tenchi's grandfather Katsuhito Masaki and his younger sister Achika arrive at the crash site. Katsuhito is able to identified Ryoko. Achika tells Tenchi that they must head straight for the house. As soon as Tenchi asks Achika why, a mecha attacks Ryoko, Tenchi, Achika, and Ryoko. Katsuhito tries to convince the pilot to stop his attack. After the pilot fails to listen to Katsduhito's command, he attacks the mecha with a bokken. While Kstsuhito continues to fight the mecha, Ryoko, Achika, and Tenchi take the opportunity to run from the area.

The three of them run into Kiyone. When Kiyone notices Ryoko, she apologies to her for attacking her ship. Ryoko informs Kiyone that her partner needs to be stop. Kiyone tells Ryoko about her partner Mihoshi is not the mecha's pilot. Then the four watch Katsuhito defeat the mecha. Then another mecha appears. The pilot of the second mecha is Mihoshi. Mihoshi fires a EMP ray at the first mecha.

When Katsuhito walks up to Kiyone and the others, he informs Kiyone that her partner Mihoshi had done the right thing by imobilizing the first mecha. Kiyone informs Katsuhito that Mihoshi and she must arrest the pilots of the first mecha. Then Tenchi asks his grandfather about what has just happen. Katsuhito reminds Tenchi that he needs to talk to Ryoko before he is able to explain what has just happen to him. Achika informs Ryoko about her mother is waiting for her back at the house. Tenchi is still confused.

Katsuhito tells Ryoko that only his granddaughter Achika knows what has just happen. While Mihoshi gets out of the second mecha, Kiyone arrests the two pilots of the first mecha. Katsuhito, Ryoko, Achika, and Tenchi head for the house.

kain2-1 gendo1
by mitsuki lover
#27711 I like that.It makes a whole lot of sense.Especially Tenchi originally mistaking Ryoko's ship for an
airplane.Good job.Susano gets a gold star. mmhmm1