The carnival starts here! Discuss all the things about the main cast we all know and love!
User avatar
by wwwwhhhhoooo
#29242 Many of you have likely been speculating about the current affairs of the Tenchi Muyo! franchise. As of yet, there is still no official word from the franchise's parent company AIC (the production company that basically went belly-up not so long ago). But despite this, we--as in we the general fandom, we as fans, and also those of us in administration--have known of some telltale hints for some time regarding the current state of affairs and the likely future of the series.

The sources of these telltale signs are both major creative forces behind various incarnations of TM!, and are on 'both sides of the aisle' (if you will): Hiroshi Negishi and Masaki Kajishima.

First, courtesy of our own superman Crazed, here are a few of Negishi's recent tweets regarding his future plans, involvement with AIC, and the future of TM!:

(Post-TMiL Screening)
"The doubleheader of Ai Tenchi Muyo! & Tenchi Muyo! in Love went very well. After watching all of the works, it's like the fans got a shot in the arm. However, the next Tenchi Muyo! that I want to watch is Mr. Kajishima's. Everyone, please be excited. The Tenchi Muyo! carnival will still continue!"

As Negishi has always done in the past, he is acting professionally and tactfully by attempting to promote enthusiasm for "the carnival" (i.e. Tenchi at large) even though the next installment down the pike is not his show. Whether this is just to be professional and save face, or he is genuinely excited for more of Kajishima's work is up for some debate, perhaps, but given the fact that he previously wanted to meet Kajishima in-person because he admired him for his role in creating Tenchi lends credence to the latter.

Original tweet here.
______________________________________

He also mentions he will be moving on with his own future projects via his own production company Zero-G (info on that here), meaning not Tenchi for the forseeable future. He mentions teaming up with one Mr. Akahori, whom we can reasonably assume is Satoru Akahori due to the two's shared past on projects such as Tekkaman Blade.

"Well, I'm heading off to bed now as it is slowly approaching midnight. Even though I'm tired, a big event occured today. Tenchi Muyo's revival! Now that this particular project of mine is done it's time for me to move onto my next project. For my next project, I am teaming up with Mr. Akahori. "

Original tweet here.
______________________________________

The impetus for this change in priorities is anyone's guess: was he used as a patsy by AIC to garner interest in the Tenchi franchise only to be assigned the impossible task of working with five-minute increments (instead of his previous desire for TMiL 3) and then, if by some miracle was able to pull it off (which he and Ai did: that is to say, revive interest in the franchise), was meant to be tossed aside to serve as a foothold for Kajishima's proposals? Or has the recent interest in reboots in general lately given Negishi hope for reviving another aged series such as Tekkaman Blade? Having his own company to fall back on, has Negishi done as Hayashi before him and more or less washed his hands of the Tenchi name? Is he displeased or at least at odds with the direction AIC as a company is taking and has decided to cut his losses and move on? All of this is speculation, but as per Negishi's own words, the fact stands that he intends to definitively cut ties with AIC (on amicable terms).

"My involvement with AIC will end following the next event. The way that the five minute anime was released was not the best... especially since it seemend to have been stimulated best through the smartphone media. Sazae-san has been planning a new broadcast format of 3 titles at seven minutes. It is gradually being shifted from its broadcast format to this new form of delivery."

Original tweet here.
______________________________________

Now, as for Kajishima's side: you've likely already seen the awesome scans of 15.03 Crazed put up recently here.

And apologies, we haven't translated and localized the entirety of Old Man Kaji's afterword (let's just say the desire isn't exactly there at the moment lol), but here's the key part along with a simple breakdown:

"As of now, the planning for the Tenchi Muyo OVA is under way. How should I put this... I have been given informal consent to leak this information to you here, however, this is not the official announcement. As for the subject matter, I am going for a 'Night Before the Carnival' type feeling. Even though the decision has been made, there are still many hurdles left to overcome......."

The reason we didn't put this out sooner was twofold: one, dispirited translators (hard to fathom why the company that went bankrupt would go crawling back to one of their biggest liabilities in recent history); and two, hearing this from Kajishima, you can't blame us for taking it with a pillar or two of salt. This is the same man who for years has said 'AIC's not letting me have my way,' (alluding to the fact that OVA 4 would not be happening) and lest we forget 'hey fans, lied about Tenchi's mother lol' so like him or don't, worship him or loathe him, he's a troll to his fan base through and through, so forgive us if we thought it was another case of 'the boy who cried OVA 4.'

As for the breakdown? Well, you can definitely look it up with your own eyes, but basically here's the highlights:

1) Noike is now a full-fledged member of the household (rolls eyes).

2) Noike helps Sasami cook (because she clearly couldn't do it on her own; sarcasm aside, okay fine, give her some assistance she certainly deserves it).

3) Ryoko used to not be okay with Noike, because she interfered with the group dynamics...but now she's decidedly okay with it...because reasons....
______________________________________

So there you have it, folks: there's the facts as they stand right now. Negishi's out, Kajishima's in, and AIC's repeating decisions they made years ago verbatim. Has anyone learned from their past mistakes, or is history doomed to repeat itself? Will the finished product be Kajishima's - IF - or will it be reworked to actually be marketable? Will they go with high-end OVA budgets of yesteryear, or opt for adapting to the times? Two things are certain as of this moment, and I will separate them into categories of objectivity and subjectivity:

1) Objectively speaking, in the end if OVA 4 gets off the ground those of us involved in the Tenchicast podcasts will be proven right: Ai Tenchi Muyo! opened the doors for more Tenchi to be made. Period. It's a great irony to those who spurned it from the onset for not being "canon" or any other number of superfluous criteria, and those hoping for more OVA story-line should be grateful to say the least (don't worry though, I won't hold my breath).

2) Subjectively speaking, I personally am less than thrilled about the purported direction of the franchise to say the least: commercially, it doesn't make sense. Economic reasons aside, it should be no mystery to anyone by now that as a fan I am no lover of Kajishima's work, especially in recent times; so the idea of him being handed the reigns to definitively drive the franchise off a cliff yet again and probably bury it once and for all makes me cringe. I've eaten crow before (not literally, but hey survival mode that's a different ballgame), and I'll do it again if I must: I'll also take a dosage of my own medicine, and say that should OVA 4 do well it will only be a good thing for the franchise as a whole and open yet more doors for more creators and their visions to shine through on a multi-facted work that could paradoxically use a return to its roots and a reboot proper (a diverse need which one miserly old man cannot fulfill alone).

In summary, am I a bit miffed that the man who shoehorned Sasami's mother into being an antagonist, created the mother of all Mary Sue's to trump the established cast, made Kagato a member of the harem, relegated the strong female characters like Ryoko and Ayeka to ancillary positions under a hegemonic patriarchy, had Sasami go through menstruation to make her a viable candidate for the harem, had Sasami present in the room to witness Tenchi and Noike consummating their arranged marriage, and had "Tenchi-Kami" sire children with every female member of the household--including our favorite cabbit mascot Ryo-Ohki--as though it were a polygamist compound all while his half brother is in a completely separate yet annoyingly attached-at-the-hip alternate world earning not only his own harem of young women but a 'super harem' of all their mothers so they can all have sex to contribute to the "Seikishi breeding program" is not only getting more of what he wants but at the same time will likely be lauded for it?

...........

Maybe...you know, just a bit. aquateencarl1

A lot more to wait and see on, but my final words to you are this: support any or all branches of TM! you want, it's your prerogative; but if you're jumping up and down with enthusiasm for a Kajishima-fueled continuation of the OVA, then know what (and whom) you're supporting. I don't think that's too much to ask.
User avatar
by Ukinojo92
#29245
wwwwhhhhoooo wrote:A lot more to wait and see on, but my final words to you are this: support any or all branches of TM! you want, it's your prerogative; but if you're jumping up and down with enthusiasm for a Kajishima-fueled continuation of the OVA, then know what (and whom) you're supporting. I don't think that's too much to ask.


I think at this point any new Tenchi content, whether liked or hate will be accepted in the coming future. We talk of new stuff for Tenchi. Any new, reboot or continuations will have eager watchers, because waiting for probable soon to be made content is better than waiting for novels and other content that has never been translated that just sitting there for the past decade. I don't want to make it sound like that but it's true, I waited more eagerly for Ai when it was first mentioned, than the other novels to be translated.
User avatar
by Nobuyuki
#29246
wwwwhhhhoooo wrote:A lot more to wait and see on, but my final words to you are this: support any or all branches of TM! you want, it's your prerogative; but if you're jumping up and down with enthusiasm for a Kajishima-fueled continuation of the OVA, then know what (and whom) you're supporting. I don't think that's too much to ask.

Image
User avatar
by mitsuki lover
#29249 Unlike the cartoon I am not ok with this. I'd rather eat Ryoko's cooking then suffer through having to watch Tenchi be made into a joke,which it would be if any of the suggestions/rumors
listed ever came true.
My feeling can be summed up thusly: sakuyafinger1
User avatar
by ChaudSept
#29261 So that's what you called "putting up to speed" huh ? Fine with me mmmm1

wwwwhhhhoooo wrote:Whether this is just to be professional and save face, or he is genuinely excited for more of Kajishima's work is up for some debate, perhaps, but given the fact that he previously wanted to meet Kajishima in-person because he admired him for his role in creating Tenchi lends credence to the latter.


My guess would be simply that he loves TM! to death, and will never in his right mind spitt on anything Tenchi related that didn't came out. (Or spitt on anything at all). After all, in a tweet I believe he said after the event that "tears were behind the stage". Believe me or not, I don't want to dig the tweet, i'm no superman qt1 .

Either he's acting (I don't think so), or he is really excited to see one of his baby growning up, whoever with.

Meanwhile, a few months earlier, Kajishima : "Huh, the animation coming out next autumn has nothing to do with me, meh, huh". Source : don't remember, a doujin maybe, sue me.

wwwwhhhhoooo wrote:So there you have it, folks: there's the facts as they stand right now. Negishi's out, Kajishima's in


Before I saw this post, I've never realized that it was this clear. It kinda breaks my heart. Where is the TMiL3 project ? Where is the TMiL1 re-relaease with a new ending.
Never gonna happen ? Snif snif ...

wwwwhhhhoooo wrote:The impetus for this change in priorities is anyone's guess: was he used as a patsy by AIC to garner interest in the Tenchi franchise only to be assigned the impossible task of working with five-minute increments (instead of his previous desire for TMiL 3) and then, if by some miracle was able to pull it off (which he and Ai did: that is to say, revive interest in the franchise)


With a few steps back, and it become kinda obvious that Ai was a advert serie for both Takahashi City and the carnival.

I too, now laugh when I ear that Ai Tenchi Muyo! killed the franchise. It was the damn Tenchi Muyo! Revival Project ! Too bad Negishi isn't in it anymore.

wwwwhhhhoooo wrote:1) Noike is now a full-fledged member of the household (rolls eyes).
2) Noike helps Sasami cook (because she clearly couldn't do it on her own; sarcasm aside, okay fine, give her some assistance she certainly deserves it).
3) Ryoko used to not be okay with Noike, because she interfered with the group dynamics...but now she's decidedly okay with it...because reasons....


Well.. As much as I don't like Noike, don't you think it's kinda pointless to flame her now ? She is now settled thanks to ova3, it was kinda obvious that she was sticking around :|
I believe those 3 lines of yours came from the rest of the after word (the text whom we don't see the begining), because it matches with what I have poorly translated. So yeah, Ryoko accepting Noike scares me. But Noike helping, cooking, cleaning, doesn't.

wwwwhhhhoooo wrote: Objectively speaking, in the end if OVA 4 gets off the ground those of us involved in the Tenchicast podcasts will be proven right: Ai Tenchi Muyo! opened the doors for more Tenchi to be made. Period. It's a great irony to those who spurned it from the onset for not being "canon" or any other number of superfluous criteria, and those hoping for more OVA story-line should be grateful to say the least (don't worry though, I won't hold my breath).


I like that point of view :).
If I may add something, you didn't talk about one of Kajishima's point, and I consider it quite interesting. :
"I'm gonna go with a "Night Before Carnival type feeling"" ! We can't say that Ryoko and Ayeka were lazzy in that, where they ? nee ? Maybe we won't have a Marie-sue Ryoko, who knows ...
Even though ova2 is very slice of life-ish, and I don't like that rageblow1

wwwwhhhhoooo wrote:In summary, am I a bit miffed that the man who shoehorned Sasami's mother into being an antagonist, created the mother of all Mary Sue's to trump the established cast, made Kagato a member of the harem, relegated the strong female characters like Ryoko and Ayeka to ancillary positions under a hegemonic patriarchy, had Sasami go through menstruation to make her a viable candidate for the harem, had Sasami present in the room to witness Tenchi and Noike consummating their arranged marriage, and had "Tenchi-Kami" sire children with every female member of the household--including our favorite cabbit mascot Ryo-Ohki--as though it were a polygamist compound all while his half brother is in a completely separate yet annoyingly attached-at-the-hip alternate world earning not only his own harem of young women but a 'super harem' of all their mothers so they can all have sex to contribute to the "Seikishi breeding program" is not only getting more of what he wants but at the same time will likely be lauded for it?


God damnit Wwwhhoo, stop playing with the UV lamp ! I forgot my sunscreen :(
I'm gonna play naïve for that one. Of course, just like you, I'm disgusted by everything you said (Kajishima's actions) ... Wait ! Did I said of course ? Hell no it's not obvious that I am.
I've seen people said that they'd "like to see ova4 like ova1 [...so far, me too..], a new girl at each episode !" Kiyofacepalm1
Whitout being judgmental with anyone opinions, that make me think that ova4 will be an economic success anyway.

To conclude.

wwwwhhhhoooo wrote:The reason we didn't put this out sooner was twofold: one, dispirited translators (hard to fathom why the company that went bankrupt would go crawling back to one of their biggest liabilities in recent history); and two, hearing this from Kajishima, you can't blame us for taking it with a pillar or two of salt. This is the same man who for years has said 'AIC's not letting me have my way,' (alluding to the fact that OVA 4 would not be happening) and lest we forget 'hey fans, lied about Tenchi's mother lol' so like him or don't, worship him or loathe him, he's a troll to his fan base through and through, so forgive us if we thought it was another case of 'the boy who cried OVA 4.'


Come on guys ! You're always doing an amazing work ! Even though most of you are Universe-fan, just try to be naïve like me, and be excited for anything Tenchi related !!
What happens in a doujin, stays in a doujin...No ? Meh, Ok...
This lead me to my second conclusion :

Ukinojo92 wrote:I don't want to make it sound like that but it's true, I waited more eagerly for Ai when it was first mentioned, than the other novels to be translated.


To maintain the scale balanced, I've got to comment that !
From this point, the fandom is so old, every question had already been answered, or at least asked. Every new thing is a new thing to talk about ! Eternal Memory, Shin's novel..
Gosh I would sacrifice Ai for Hasegawa's novels (sue me).
I'm currently at least equally excited for both ova4 and any new fan-translated stuff.

Final word : I'd gotta say that even though I often look up to twitter to find some infos myself, I didn't get in any way close to Crazed's quality of Translation. Good job man !
User avatar
by Shounenbat
#29410 I want to hold off on judgement, but I'm just a little worried about this. I think a lot of it is because, while I think Kajishima is excellent at world-building and has done a fine job in the past, I don't feel that he can write characters all that well. He really needs other people on his team to flesh out the characters, as they get too simplified under his sole command. It makes Tenchi feel more like a cheap, knock-off harem anime than the series that I always saw it as: namely, a wonderful story with harem aspects that I could overlook because the characters were so rich.

Clearly, the Tenchi series is trying to make a comeback. There's a new RPG game coming out (sounds like a dating game and is called Tenchi Muyo! Bride Profusion!), Ai! Tenchi Muyo has aired, there was talk of more Universe stuff, and now this. Perhaps any amount of successful Tenchi will get us new shows.

Some of it will probably not meet the fandom's standards, but surely some of it will. I mean, you'd have to try really hard to make nothing but duds from here on out!

As for Noike, I dislike her being part of the household, but this is just because I can't see how the character would fit in. When we got Mihoshi and Washu, they fit perfectly. They had a role to fulfill in the house and manage to blend into the general weirdness with ease. Noike doesn't do this. We've already got the "sane" peace-maker character who holds the household together in Sasami, so we really don't need Noike to function as a more mature Sasami. She has no place where she easily fits in, and since we already have Aeka, Sasami, and, you could argue, Yosho to represent Jurai and its interests, we still don't need Noike. I just can't see how she adds to the dynamic.

If anything, she takes away from it! As I said, she seems to take over Sasami's role in the group, and also seems to take over Ryoko's at times as well. I think the conversation at the end of OAV 3 regarding Tenchi's mother should have been reserved for Ryoko, who has been there from the beginning in Tenchi's life, rather than Noike, who still feels like a political pawn being forced into the cast.

Perhaps there's a disconnect between American fans and Japanese fans, since I know that the Japanese tend to view the characters somewhat differently than Americans just because of differences in values, so maybe Noike is more accepted there (I haven't actually asked about it yet)? Maybe we'll grow to like Noike more if she's written as a more normal character instead of as a Super Woman who absorbs all the best traits of the established cast and is only made vulnerable by her back story.
User avatar
by Ukinojo92
#29444
Shounenbat wrote:As for Noike, I dislike her being part of the household, but this is just because I can't see how the character would fit in.


I think what Tenchi would need to have is characters that actually "work" for their place. Kiyone worked for her place by putting up with Mihoshi, dealing with the family and actually working. Sasami works for her place by being the crazy glue: the stable part of the family that has to deal with the family members while growing up. Even the Ai character with very short time for development worked for their places and became characters we enjoy.

Noike, to me, was the parent that was put in the middle of everything. She made everything basically hers without really much development or work put into it. I think that people want to see in Tenchi in the future is to see the reckless irrational fun without "Adults". We want to see the fun of common sense thrown out and embrace the unreal adventures that Tenchi made for everyone.
User avatar
by Dagon123
#29445
Shounenbat wrote:Some of it will probably not meet the fandom's standards, but surely some of it will. I mean, you'd have to try really hard to make nothing but duds from here on out![


As much as I admire your optimism Shounenbat, I decided to make some graphs

Image

eeehmmm "Graphs"

of the Tenchi series because I want to emphasize a few very important details to some people who may share your enthusiasm for OVA4 and or any future projects from now on.

Image

Image

Image

These are the "Main" Tenchi series from the last 20 years and the decades they are in.

There are 3 types of Tenchi fans

The "Original" Tenchi fans, who came in during the 90's

There's the "Toonami" generation, who came in during 2000 - 2002

And the "Post Toonami" (IE Harem) fans

The first 2 sets of fans make up the vast majority of Tenchi fans, they were born and raised on Space Adventure, Crazy Antics and Cute Cabbits.

The last set mentioned, came in primarily through the internet, are the minority, and are your proto-typical internet anime fan.

The reason I make this point is because the 2 sets of fans are radically different and radically disproportionate to one another in size and taste.

I've found, that the harem fan, can look back at the original 90's Tenchi and kind of get into it, and some cases even like it, because it resembles kinda sorta what they are watching.

The original and Toonami generation fans, are mortified by what is coming out.

And what is coming out now is what is going to come out for whatever the foreseeable future is.

You say " They'd have to try really hard to make duds from here on out", They've been making duds for the last 10 years. It's been a generation, there are more people who said that they "were" Tenchi fans, then there are active Tenchi fans now, and the phraseology is all over the place, but the important thing is they're not here and they aren't waiting anymore.

Hiroshi Negishi didn't recently leave AIC and its partners because Tenchi was heading in the right direction, Negishi leaving is symbolic of the fact that this show has no hope at ever being made for "Tenchi" fans ever again.

The "creative" mind behind OVA4 aka Masaki Kajishima, said in the first paragraph of his latest doujin, that "Everyone loves Noike now, and Ryoko finally accepts her"

Tenchi Muyo is dead.

A show with the "Tenchi Muyo!" name will continue to be made in some capacity until AIC or Kajishima or both die and or new blood can come in and play with it and make their own story and timeline with Tenchi.

But until that point comes, every show is going to be OVA3, again, and again, and again.
User avatar
by Nobuyuki
#29446
The original and Toonami generation fans, are mortified by what is coming out.

Not everyone, of course.