The carnival starts here! Discuss all the things about the main cast we all know and love!
by Ukinojo92
segaman4 wrote:Oh boy not noike. But thats kajishima for you. I really hope its an impro ment from the 3rd one.

Considering it is Kajishima, the same one that is making the doujins of War on Geminar and the original gang, more than likely: No. Every time, every time that I get excited for something new by Kajishima, like the doujins, I hope it is like a new continuity, reboot, or retcon. But it never happens and continues to build on the same continuity that everyone mostly do not like anymore.

Someone entirely new, preferably a fan, director would have to make a new take on the Tenchi story. Hiroshi and Okuda, the few people that actually had good stories of the Tenchi franchise are gone. It is a risk to bring in someone new, as they could make Tenchi into a modern fanservice generic harem show, that is the norm now, mostly. But one guarantee that we can rest on, no one is going to make a storyline where the guy is doing everyone's mom rageblow1 .

If or when a new story is made, the everyone is going to pick at it regardless, so the only thing we can hope for is that the story is palpable enough to endure the migraines of watching new Tenchi stuff.
by wwwwhhhhoooo
Ukinojo92 wrote:[...] so the only thing we can hope for is that the story is palpable enough to endure the migraines of watching new Tenchi stuff.

In my humble opinion, this is the most astute point you have ever made, good sir; it concisely sums up my complicated feelings on the matter.

You're absolutely right, and that's the problem for me personally: the ONLY thing we can HOPE for is that it's palpable enough TO ENDURE...ever since OVA 3 I'd been coasting on hope. Hope was the only thing that kept many of us going, and it's the reason this forum ever existed in the first place. After Ai became a reality--concrete fruit of our labors, it seemed--I genuinely thought the wheels were in motion for this rig called Tenchi Muyo fandom to get back on a track I could identify with and actually support: but as it stands now, apparently I was wrong. Negishi surprised me, AIC flat-out let me down, and Kajishima stayed in-character to continue diving further down whatever rabbit hole it is he's created for himself. I formally renounced my interest or involvement with Masaki Kajishima's vision after I first saw 'Cabbit-patch kids' (protagonist literally screws the beloved animal mascot and has hybrid offspring...yeeeah okay, if you're having trouble noticing a crazy old man getting crazier after that, God help you)...I just didn't think it would end with me having to turn away from the main attraction of future Tenchi animations but c'est la vie.

After 10+ years of dark ages, I'm sorry to say that hope alone is not enough for me anymore; as a certain blockbuster film once put it, "sometimes people need to have their faith rewarded." When the only solution is to stick around for another 10+ years and "endure" (no, not enjoy, not revel in, not even tolerate at this point, literally "endure" as though it were some sort of trial) and "hope" (not rely on any facts, not looking at a light at the end of the metaphorical tunnel, just wish and click those heels together three times ), well...that's when priorities get called into question. I've told several good friends over the years in the context of participating with this very forum, various projects, etc. that "it's a fandom, it's just for fun: and if it's not fun, then why do it at all?" and now that I'm confronted with taking my own proverbial medicine, that pretty much sums it up for me.

Tenchi used to be fun for me, but miracles notwithstanding to vastly improve the OVA continuity and/or get Old Man Kaji outside in the 21st century to get some fresh air, it's not going to be anymore. I'll still be around (as will Tenchiforum, of course), and I'm always down for reminiscing about a title that's been so near and dear to me for so many years...but much like El-Hazard, Outlaw Star, Yu Yu Hakusho, or any other nineties staple I fondly remember, Tenchi will be just that: a fond memory. And you know what? That's okay. I'm proud of the community I've helped create and am happy to have been a part of it, and I'm sincerely thankful to all the people I've met along the way. The recent craziness of this personal emotional roller coaster has made me remember that through all these years it's not been Tenchi that's kept me afloat and optimistic: it's been YOU, reading this now or in the future--you who've been in casts with me, or posted in your favorite threads, or stayed up late chatting in mumble, or have otherwise opened up and shared your own reasons for why Tenchi has been so special to you--that has made this all worthwhile. It's actually kinda funny Tenchi's lasted as long as it has...kind of a fluke, really, and I guess expecting it to come back with even an ounce of its former glory was asking for the moon.

But I've got Ai, I've got my memories, and I've got my friends...if I gotta' give up "enduring" something that I don't even want to associate myself with anymore in exchange, well...that's a steal.

Didn't expect to get so sentimental at the end there, but anyway, thanks everyone! We'll see you around!

Bang!
- Your Friendly Neighborhood Who
by Shounenbat
Dagon123 wrote:
Shounenbat wrote:Some of it will probably not meet the fandom's standards, but surely some of it will. I mean, you'd have to try really hard to make nothing but duds from here on out![

You say " They'd have to try really hard to make duds from here on out", They've been making duds for the last 10 years. It's been a generation, there are more people who said that they "were" Tenchi fans, then there are active Tenchi fans now, and the phraseology is all over the place, but the important thing is they're not here and they aren't waiting anymore.

Hiroshi Negishi didn't recently leave AIC and its partners because Tenchi was heading in the right direction, Negishi leaving is symbolic of the fact that this show has no hope at ever being made for "Tenchi" fans ever again.

The "creative" mind behind OVA4 aka Masaki Kajishima, said in the first paragraph of his latest doujin, that "Everyone loves Noike now, and Ryoko finally accepts her"

Tenchi Muyo is dead.

A show with the "Tenchi Muyo!" name will continue to be made in some capacity until AIC or Kajishima or both die and or new blood can come in and play with it and make their own story and timeline with Tenchi.

But until that point comes, every show is going to be OVA3, again, and again, and again.

...You just peed on all my optimism... (Sobs silently in a corner)

In all seriousness, you're probably right, as much as I hate to admit it. Kajishima really, really needs someone to reign him in. Left to his own devices, he manages to to turn everything he touches into a bizarre sexual fantasy of his, which really sucks.

My vote probably doesn't count, but instead of taking the OAV continuity on the fast-track to death, I would, personally speaking, like to see the manga animated. Something along those lines would be a great way to revive the series.
by susano
#29464 I strongly do believe that there is going to be a sequel of the TENCHI MUYO: RYO-OHKI OVA series. The tentative title of the sequel is TENCHI MUYO: THE NEXT GENERATION. While a sequel to RYO-OHKI will help the franchise, I am starting to like the ideal of a new continuity. Basically, the new continuity is a spinoff like TENCHI: UNIVERSE and TENCHI IN TOKYO .

I have some ideals for a new continuity. Unfortunately. all of them are strictly fanfiction. I do like the ideal of a new continuity and a sequel for the RYO-OHKI series. AI : TENCHI MUYO had turn out to be a honest attempt. It should have been anime series. Yet, the series had given the franchise a fifth continuity. The movie TENCHI MUYO IN LOVE- DAUGHTER OF DARKNESS[/b] is a part of the fourth continuity.

tuxedodouche
by Ukinojo92
#29467 Probably will not see anything in the near 2-4 year future any time soon. Ai is taking it's run this year and is going to take it's soak up it's time. Even if Kajishima announces something new being made, it's going to take awhile because it's Kajishima. Anything that he makes is according to his mind and when it's made fast, that means he did half-*** job with it like OVA 3 and GXP.

Ultimately, if Kajishima is still wanting to do Tenchi for the rest of his life, then that is how it will be. What he wants to make to satisfy to his mind and what other people want of it and want to cut out to fit them. My Knowledge of what I heard on the podcasts is that Kajishima is only focused on Tenchi storylines and nothing else. There's nothing new from him, he is trying to make an old dog which he put down do new tricks that no one likes and makes them not want to watch anymore. I know that sounds bad, but to me that is how it is, Kajishima is not letting go of Tenchi and everyone else, like Hiroshi Negishi, did what they could and jumped ship.

The only way for Tenchi to get a chance and possibly be saved from Kajishima is if someone wrestles for it and makes it theirs. Everything is usually judged on appearances, if someone states that it is them doing Tenchi and not Kajishima whatsoever then there will be no association. The other thing would be for said someone to make a story passable enough that gets a "Okay-ish" response. After everything Tenchi has been through, "okay-ish" is at least a good sign of it. Of Course then there is one variable that needs to be taken in to account: most of the new generation has never heard of a 20 year obscure franchise, so the series gets a fresh start by default.

For everyone that is still a fan of Tench, once we hear something, all of us will come and be all over, kinda like the old people that say to the kids that their generation was the best, over and over again. Most likely Kajishima would try and come out when the new series not made by him would be out, and try to introduce his Tenchi. If someone actually sees him do one thing only to stop him: TACKLE HIM.
by ChaudSept
#29468 I'm still optimist, even though I understand very well the fears and opinions of anyone here. The stress of watching OVA3 repeating itself over and over again is a very legit and sound sensation. However I base my optimism on one single feeling : I liked War on Geminar.
GXP was bad, OVA3 had many many flaws, but I enjoyed WoG. So is Kajishima's creative mind always bad ? I would say no. Of course, I'm kinda avoiding the thought of what he did in his doujins, maybe I should not.

However there is something that everybody says, and I don't understand. And it's actually a real question I'm asking, because I think my knowledge should be updated.
All people are talking about Kajishima saying he should not be alone on any project. I'm saying he never was.

Are declared as "Director" (maybe K is Co-director with them, don't know...) :
GXP : Shinichi Watanabe
WoG : Koji Yoshikawa (Kajishima stated as Chief Director)
OVA2 : Kenichi Yatagai, Kenichi Yatani, Koji Masunari
OVA3 : Kenichi Yatagai, Kenichi Yatani
OVA1 (which I'm dead in love with) : Hiroki Hayashi
Dual : Katsuhito Akiyama

My point is : How good will be OVA4 doesn't rely on only Kajishima. If someone as good as Hayashi is designated, what could go wrong ?
Unless I'm missing a enormous point, I think talking about K the same way we talk about Negishi (who directed Universe and Ai) is a mistake. Kajishima is certainly responsible of the "story", but he was never alone on the "how it's delivered" -part.

Dagon123 wrote:There are 3 types of Tenchi fans

It's true that the fandom can be split in several categories, yet I hate generality like this one. Mainly because I'm being selfish and I don't identify myself with it. Y'know, I've known OVA1 (and that's it) all my life (until a few months ago), however I'm way to young to consider myself as a 90' Tenchi fan.

About the future of Tenchi Muyo! as mentioned in the title of the thread, it might be silly to say it, but I'll do it anyway.

if I gotta' give up "enduring" something I don't even want to associate myself with anymore in exchange

Tenchi Muyo is dead

Even if I acknowledge that, there is one thing that to me lies in the future of The Carnival, and it is the translations. What I mean is : You guys, american, are so proud of your dubs. WoG dubbed was a rebirth of the franchise.
What is long passed in the Jap's fandom could be our future. I say "could", I should say "is". I'm talking of course about the novels, essentially Hasegawa's.. (eventually Kajishima's).
If you are asking me : Where is the future of Tenchi Muyo if not in OVA4 ? I Would say in the damn Novels !

I'm playing the role of an old man repeating himself and talking about crap nobody cares about, but the idea sould be here.
by Shounenbat
#29469 I had no idea that Kajishima is working solely on Tenchi stuff to the exclusion of any new projects! That's almost obsessive, and I don't mean it in a good way.

I'm kind of odd in that I think the OAV series still has life left in it, even after that awful OAV 3! The characters and their current arrangement can still be fun and engaging, but not if it goes in the direction Kajishima wants it to.

ChaudSept brought up the idea of animating the Hasegawa novels, which would be cool, too. I prefer the Okuda manga, but, really, it just goes to show that other authors have taken the OAV premises and creating fun and engaging stories with it.

Basically, there are still directions this show can go besides Tenchi-makes-babies-with-every-woman-who-has-ever-lived.
by susano
Shounenbat wrote:I had no idea that Kajishima is working solely on Tenchi stuff to the exclusion of any new projects! That's almost obsessive, and I don't mean it in a good way.

I'm kind of odd in that I think the OAV series still has life left in it, even after that awful OAV 3! The characters and their current arrangement can still be fun and engaging, but not if it goes in the direction Kajishima wants it to.

ChaudSept brought up the idea of animating the Hasegawa novels, which would be cool, too. I prefer the Okuda manga, but, really, it just goes to show that other authors have taken the OAV premises and creating fun and engaging stories with it.

Basically, there are still directions this show can go besides Tenchi-makes-babies-with-every-woman-who-has-ever-lived.

The Okuda Manga and the Hasegawa novels are honest examples of how other persons can do with the Tenchi Franchise. It seems that Masaki Kajishima is focusing only of the Tenchi Franchise. He did contribute to other series such as Dual. All Masaki K. needs to do is to make a minimum amount of contribution to the franchise. At least to a point where any Tenchi series doesn't become another example of either a medicore or a bad harem series.

I do believe that there should be another attempt to do a new continuity. Tenchi : Universe serves as an example of another continuity. With the advances of technology since the nineteen-nineties, imagine how Tenchi has to figure out what to do about hiding the truth of his unwanted harem. One ideal for a new continuity is focus on Tenchi staying in high school. An example of a high school based harem is the series Nisekoi.

I do believe that there is still a future for Tenchi Muyo. One of the good ways to revive the series is another continuity. All Masaki needs to do is to make sure that the series becomes a fine addition for the Tenchi Franchise.