The carnival starts here! Discuss all the things about the main cast we all know and love!
by Nil Admirari
#30987 A few hours ago, the JP fans were alit with glee as the official website for Tenchi Muyo! Ryo-Ohki OVA4 went live. On the page, it mentions an event taking place on November 28th, which will feature both Ai Tenchi and OVA4 production information. EDIT: I had erroneously claimed that the following art was new key art, since I'd never seen it before. However, Nobu pointed out that it was, in fact, art used during the OVA3 phase:

Nobuyuki wrote:http://sasami.x0.com/ova3_01.html

Ai Orikasa, Haruhi Nanao (the new voice of Ayeka), and Masami Kikuchi are scheduled to be present at the OVA4 panel. More as it comes!
by drillmaster
#30989 This is a thing that's happening? I'm simultaneously thrilled and terrified. The one thing that I hope OVA 4 picks up on is the biggest lingering plot thread from OVA 2: Azusa's declaration that he will not stop trying to get Ayeka to come back to Jurai.

Oh, and a higher presence of the actual girls. I know the previous doujin preview showed Misaki and Funaho, which is great, but if this is mostly about Juraian politics, I will be dissapointed. Still, the designs look okay. Kind of fan art looking to be honest, but I like that Noike isnt shoved in there.

Classic Tenchi...for now...
by Nil Admirari
Nobuyuki wrote:
new key art

Um, that's not new.

http://sasami.x0.com/ova3_01.html

Good catch! Dagon said it seemed familiar, but the closest I could find in my art folder was a much older piece of art used for the older shows. I'll edit so no one else is confused.
by Ukinojo92
#31007 http://p.twipple.jp/OjZ2I

Tenchi Muyo! Of events and the production announcement http://tenchimuyo4th.com/ producer of the fourth period and is your name of course Hiroaki Inoue! It has been various activities. It is expected to further movement! #tenchi # Tenchi Muyo

So Hiroki Inoue is on producer seat for this Tenchi series as well

So far no other people have been confirmed for the OVA 4 or if Kajishima is the one behind this. He said in his doujins he wanted to make 4 or something else he had pitched, but I couldn't find anywhere that he is on this project in the twitter.
I know it's early and since this is called OVA 4 then it is Kajishima since he continued from OVA 2 and made GXP and OVA 3. However wouldn't that be the first thing to be known, Kajishima as the head of 4? I just find it weird that everyone assumes Kajishima but nothing says he is confirmed to be on OVA 4, just a doujin he made that teased it sorta.
by Nobuyuki
it's early

This, this, this. That's what Nov. 28th is for, after all.
Until then, we run with assumptions.

Just repeat to yourself, "It's just a show, I should really just relax." ;)
by Ukinojo92
#31013 I'm on half stoked and half realistic expectations for a new series
by Shounenbat
#31015 Well, I'm back on after a long break working on other stuff. I'm still translating 101 Secrets as well as working on my site meant to teach people Japanese using a lot of Tenchi and other media. So, no, I'm not long gone!

My brother actually sent me this news. I have mixed feelings about it, mostly because I want to be excited and join the Tenchi gang on new adventures, and I don't even mind Juraian politics. However, I want the whole harem aspect to take a backseat and just let the characters be themselves. The great thing about Tenchi is that there are amazing characters; they just need something to do besides fight over Tenchi, who is well on his way to fulfilling his destiny as Ultra Stud, the embodiment of Male Wish Fulfillment, at it is. I mean, the idea of the average guy getting the hottest girl, or girls if it's a harem, is getting a bit old, and in time the girls often go the way of the Tenchi girls, who have been stripped of just about everything that makes them complex and interesting and has managed to turn even the eight-year-old into just another trophy on Tenchi's mantle.

However, I'm going to be optimistic. We might get more of a classic vibe, along with a grander idea of the Tenchi universe as a whole. We might see Tenchi dropped down a peg or two to make him both relatable and relatively human again, and we might see the other girls with their own stories and personas explored. I'm crossing my fingers and waiting patiently!
by AstroNerdBoy
drillmaster wrote:This is a thing that's happening? I'm simultaneously thrilled and terrified. The one thing that I hope OVA 4 picks up on is the biggest lingering plot thread from OVA 2: Azusa's declaration that he will not stop trying to get Ayeka to come back to Jurai. .

I believe that was covered in the novel Washu. I'm not sure if that will even be touched, though I wish the Shin Tenchi Muyo novels would get an anime adaptation.