The carnival starts here! Discuss all the things about the main cast we all know and love!
by mitsuki lover
#6398 To get back on subject,even the best looking bootlegs will have some noticeable difference from the 'legit' version.
For example I was lurking around Animenation forum and one of their members had pics of some anime they had
bought at a pawn shop.Among the dvds were the two sets of Buso Renkin.
At first they looked legit,but then I took a look at my own copies and they didn't have the red SJ in the upper left
hand corners the ones in the photo did.Instead there was a small Shonen Jump in the center.
Also the poster said that the entire set of dvds,including the two Buso Renkin boxsets only cost them $60.
Pawn Shops being what they are it be easy to get fooled into buying a bootleg without knowing what you're looking for.
(Not every pawn shop owner is like the guys on Pawn Stars)
by Blade-of-the-Moon
mitsuki lover wrote:To get back on subject,even the best looking bootlegs will have some noticeable difference from the 'legit' version.
For example I was lurking around Animenation forum and one of their members had pics of some anime they had
bought at a pawn shop.Among the dvds were the two sets of Buso Renkin.
At first they looked legit,but then I took a look at my own copies and they didn't have the red SJ in the upper left
hand corners the ones in the photo did.Instead there was a small Shonen Jump in the center.
Also the poster said that the entire set of dvds,including the two Buso Renkin boxsets only cost them $60.
Pawn Shops being what they are it be easy to get fooled into buying a bootleg without knowing what you're looking for.
(Not every pawn shop owner is like the guys on Pawn Stars)

Many people don't know how to tell the difference at all..or that there is a difference..I got tricked a few times when I was starting out...not just on dvds either.

That's true..Rick and the gang know their stuff.. ;)
by mitsuki lover
#6445 I think though that a lot of other pawn dealers just either don't have the time or simply don't care about the quality
of what gets brought in to them,which is why there should always be a caveat about buying anything,wheter anime
or something else from a regular pawn shop.Not that they try to cheat on you,although there are some out there that
do.
Yes,Rick and company do a lot of research and they have their experts like the guy from Clark co. Historical Society to
back them up.
Any ways,I think threads like this are helpful in educating people about what to look for so they don't get cheated when
it comes to bootlegs.Though I'm surprised the way some people who don't like fansubs will easily admit to owning bootlegs.
To me bootlegs actually hurt the anime industry more than fansubs because the people who are bootlegging are out for
money.
by Dagon123
mitsuki lover wrote:Any ways,I think threads like this are helpful in educating people about what to look for so they don't get cheated when
it comes to bootlegs.Though I'm surprised the way some people who don't like fansubs will easily admit to owning bootlegs.
To me bootlegs actually hurt the anime industry more than fansubs because the people who are bootlegging are out for
money.

^^
This, Fansubs =/= Theft, However when someone bootlegs something, and someone like you or me buys it, that is money that WOULD have gone to the sale of legit goods and is now lost, which is 100x more detrimental to our industry. However bootlegs now a days are considerably harder to find, so its much harder to be conned out of your money for them if you do your homework, sometimes you get good deals, but if you don't see any official markings or its really just too good to be true, I'd be extremely wary.
by crazypackersfan
#6549 I have the Tenchi Universe bootleg... I feel so stupid now. That was when I first got back into anime, and I just wanted the cheapest version I could buy. Now I hate seeing that ripoff sitting in my collection.
by wwwwhhhhoooo
mitsuki lover wrote:Not every pawn shop owner is like the guys on Pawn Stars

rofl I can see the episode now, it would start off as every potential sale always does:

Rick: "How can I help you today?"

Customer: "I'm looking to sell my... complete set of Tenchi Muyo dvds. The set includes all oav's & universe series."

Rick (to camera): "I really want these in my collection, but it sounds a little too good to be true. I gotta' know if they're the real deal."

Rick (to customer): "Let me call a buddy of mine, he's an expert when it comes to this kinda' stuff..."

*moments later, cut to parking lot

to camera: "Hello, I'm Dagon123, & I'm the creator, owner and administrator of Tenchiforum.com"

:lol:
by Dagon123
wwwwhhhhoooo wrote:
mitsuki lover wrote:Not every pawn shop owner is like the guys on Pawn Stars

rofl I can see the episode now, it would start off as every potential sale always does:

Rick: "How can I help you today?"

Customer: "I'm looking to sell my... complete set of Tenchi Muyo dvds. The set includes all oav's & universe series."

Rick (to camera): "I really want these in my collection, but it sounds a little too good to be true. I gotta' know if they're the real deal."

Rick (to customer): "Let me call a buddy of mine, he's an expert when it comes to this kinda' stuff..."

*moments later, cut to parking lot

to camera: "Hello, I'm Dagon123, & I'm the creator, owner and administrator of Tenchiforum.com"

:lol:

:Cheeks: Oh who, lol that made my day
by JGZinv
#6566 If it were Dual...

*moments later, cut to back room*

to camera: "Hey I'm not sure Rick, let me get ahold of a guy I know."

from phone: "Mochi mochi, this is JGZinv, how can I help you?* "Sorry must have the wrong number"

"let me try another"

from phone: "Hey this is Jay" "Sorry wrong number"

Well there's only one other person out there.

from phone: "Hey this is Jinbu" "Sorry wrong number"

"You know this is the third time you've called me right?"

... ... ...

"So like we were saying these are authentic Dual collectibles worth a fortune..."