The carnival starts here! Discuss all the things about the main cast we all know and love!
by Kiyoka
Dagon123 wrote:
AstroNerdBoy wrote:Of a damned show, it has been quite profitable for AIC, VAP, and FUNimation. ^_~

The Titanic was pretty profitable too, before it sank, lol

You just won the internet badassplz
by AstroNerdBoy
Dagon123 wrote:
AstroNerdBoy wrote:As to "pretending they were here the whole time," that's what you get for not being Japanese, or at the very least, not watching GXP. :wink: Kajishima-sensei introduced all of the characters, save Tenyo, in the novels, doujinshi, and in GXP. If Kajishima-sensei had NOT included characters like Airi or Seto-sama in OVA 3, Japanese fans would have gone nuts since by this time, they were well established characters in Japan.

The problem here is that they WEREN'T established in the Anime, which precedes everything else
, also keep in mind, that just because Kajishima released a few hundred Doujinshi, that doesn't mean every Japanese person watching the show is going to know the in's and outs of everything, that's like introducing someone from the Star Wars novels, most people don't have a flipping clue who they are (and don't care really) and saying "OH WELL, insert variable about being a fan, etc", Sure GXP Introduced them, but thats GXP, they were NOT first introduced with the rest of the main cast, and I've never liked that because their is always, ALWAYS going to be a feeling of disconnect, which really hinders character dynamics (especially when our already established cast are anything but their former selves), so that's not a legitimate defense to a poorly scripted OVA.

GXP is part of the canon. It was aired before OVA 3 was even allowed to be made. I can promise you that Tenchi fans in Japan saw GXP and were well acquainted with Seto, Airi, and even Noike, since she's shown with the gang in episode 17. Back on the old AIC boards, it used to be heavily discussed as it was coming out in Japan. However, I am aware of the fact that a number of fans refused to watch GXP because it wasn't "Tenchi" in their mind.

AstroNerdBoy wrote:Of a damned show, it has been quite profitable for AIC, VAP, and FUNimation. ^_~

Heh! The problem with your analogy is that OVA 3 hasn't sunk, which is why Psycho still rants and raves, and why haters are going to hate. :lol:
by AstroNerdBoy
Kiyoka wrote:
Dagon123 wrote:

Until it sank five minutes ago. :P
by Dagon123
AstroNerdBoy wrote:
GXP is part of the canon. It was aired before OVA 3 was even allowed to be made. I can promise you that Tenchi fans in Japan saw GXP and were well acquainted with Seto, Airi, and even Noike, since she's shown with the gang in episode 17. Back on the old AIC boards, it used to be heavily discussed as it was coming out in Japan. However, I am aware of the fact that a number of fans refused to watch GXP because it wasn't "Tenchi" in their mind.

Whether or not it's canon isn't the problem, the problem is how well they integrate into the story and the dynamic they create because of it, that's called bad writing, them being in GXP is fine, people can associate them with that, but just saying "They fit because they were there" doesn't change the fact that any of them showing up in OVA3, and the scenes afterwards totally destroyed the entire point of Ayeka going to earth in the first place (and retconned a few things along the way), and reduced a heartfelt moment in OVA 1 to "I was on the other end of the Galaxy, hue" That fish is 3 days old, and I ain't buying it.

AstroNerdBoy wrote:
Heh! The problem with your analogy is that OVA 3 hasn't sunk, which is why Psycho still rants and raves, and why haters are going to hate. :lol:

That's all subjective, just because you want to go down with the ship, doesn't mean the rest of us do, nor does it make any of those people haters
by GregTheLion
AstroNerdBoy wrote:The novel Washu deals with this, which is why it wasn't covered in OVA 3. And Azusa wasn't plotting Tenchi's death as such. He was plotting to remove Tenchi as a suitor. He and the wives returned multiple times to Earth, but each time, Mihoshi ended up thwarting things, much as she did in OVA 2 episode 6. It has been a while, but my memory is that eventually Azusa realized that he wasn't going to get his way after Mishoshi still crashed his plans despite careful preparations to prevent her from doing this again (by which time, no one else even cared about these duels Azusa was arranging).

AstroNerdBoy wrote:As to "pretending they were here the whole time," that's what you get for not being Japanese, or at the very least, not watching GXP. :wink: Kajishima-sensei introduced all of the characters, save Tenyo, in the novels, doujinshi, and in GXP. If Kajishima-sensei had NOT included characters like Airi or Seto-sama in OVA 3, Japanese fans would have gone nuts since by this time, they were well established characters in Japan.

You know what, I am SO glad you brought up the Novels and Doujin, and I agree in thinking I could be put to rest knowing these characters were first introduced in said novels-
IF ANYONE HAD PUBLISHED SOME ENGLISH TRANSLATIONS!! frageplz
by chucklocker
#13450 I agree with Dagon's last statement. No one here is a "hater". Everyone who has posted so far is in agreement that on at least some level OVA 3 was flawed, the disagreements lay almost exclusively in the realm of individual preference. I cannot speak for the larger fandom, but during my time at this forum I have NEVER heard anyone bash OVA 3 simply because "it's different," or "it's stupid." The validity of their opinion is, and aught to be, always open to argument, but the people here have always arrived at them by rational rather than emotional means.

Now that I've said my peace about that, I think I'll wade into the fray (rationally of course! :lol: ).
First, I fully acknowledge the validity of ANB's point that the lack of Japanese materials is a LARGE barrier to entry for western fans, especially with respect to the "new" characters. That being said, however, I felt that the "new" characters were a drag on the show purely based on their own faults. I felt that the Seto and Noike characters were the embodiment of Mary Sues; they were perfect and right %100 of the time, purely because that was their role in the series. Airi and Tenyo were a bit better in that they provided some comic relief/entertainment, but they were really just one-trick ponies and offered little of substance to the show itself. Little girl Kagato seemed to me to be thrown in purely because Kajishima thought it was cool/wanted to make a connection with the novels, no matter how unrelated to the matter at hand.

That's my bit about the characters, I have more to say about OVA 3, but I thought I'd try (futilely perhaps :lol: ) to get this thread back to its ORIGINAL intent. If I were to remake OVA 3 I would try and stay as close as possible to the "heart" of the original material, as that is only fair to the creator's vision. I would start by re-working the "new" characters' personalities to make them more deep, realistic, and relatable, i.e. give Seto and Noike some faults and conflicts, give Airi and Tenyo more than one archetypal gag. Secondly I would jettison the flashback portion of the first episode and use that space to build the main plot. Thirdly, and most importantly, I would make a big effort to explain Z's plan, the main plot, and especially the Counter Actor. Give an adequate buildup and background as to what it is, why it's important, and why Tenchi is able to beat it in the end. Having it explained off-screen in a doujin, even if it were made available to all fans around the world, is not good enough when dealing with a major plot point of a franchise built around its Television component. Finally, I would tone down all of the GXP references and allusions. A spin-off should be propped up by its parent show, not vice versa.

Well there it is, my rationale for OVA 3. As I said, all of this is built around individual preferences, so approve or dismiss my opinions as you judge fit.
by shades of blue
#13452 >Seto
>Mary Sue

lol what? Seto is a sadistic old hag, whom practically creams herself every time someone is forced to kiss her royal behind, she "secretly" controls Jurai and at one point had a lesbian harem (IIRC). Nothing about that sounds even remotely "Mary Sue".
See what type of details you miss by entirely avoiding GXP & what little of the doujins were translated?
by chucklocker
#13453 Actually I have watched all of GXP, which serves as a good introduction to her character, but does not change the fact that she is a one dimensional character. No matter how cool a character's back story or personality, if that character exists solely to fulfill one function (in Seto's case to be the infallible and all-powerful behind the scenes reason for the goings on of the story), then that character is by definition one dimensional and a Mary Sue. Again, this is only my opinion, I just thought that I would clarify my position. For the record: I think Seto is a "cool" character, I think if better developed she would be an awesome addition to the universe, but just being cool isn't enough for me in such an important character.
by Thorn
Kiyoka wrote:
Dagon123 wrote:

Actually, given the fact that it sank on it's maiden voyage along with the ratio of ticket sales to construction costs, the Titanic was considerably less profitable than it's sister ships and other cruise ships of the time. It's actually been more profitable "post mortem" than at any time during it's five days at sea.

And that concludes today's "The More You Know" segment! :Cheeks: