El-Hazard, Dual, Photon, Pretty Sammy, GXP, WoG and other fringe series not starring the main cast.
by For Washuu
#2497 I don't really have anything in particular to ask or tell, but I do wish I could talk to someone about the Magical Girl Pretty Sammy and Magical Project S spin-offs.
Also, does anyone have a good review/synopsis on the Magical Girl's Club tv series? The internet doesn't have much in the way of a 'is this worth watching' reviews.
Does anyone here watch those OVAs/tv episodes?
by Nobuyuki
#2499 I have all those. Magical Project S is my second-favorite Tenchi-related series. :D

Sasami Magical Girls' Club is rather "..ehh", not something I'd break the bank to get. Thankfully you don't have to. ;)
by wwwwhhhhoooo
#2515 I share your sediments For Washuu. Since it was never on Toonami, I don't know a whole lot about the Pretty Sammy series (how many? oav's/spin-offs, etc) but if I am to call myself a Tenchi fan, they're worth looking into (even though one of them is unabashedly kind of a Sailor Moon rip-off). You're also right in that while most series (Muyo, Universe, Tokyo) are all over youtube, there's not as much for Pretty Sammy series. Hope I'm not spoiling anything here but--I think that's what our noble leaders are working on uploading to yt as we speak, so everyone will soon get a chance to delve into new misadventures with familiar characters (even if their backstories change considerably).
by For Washuu
#2570 Cool. I've just recently finished watching MPS, and I have to say that it ranks up there by a lot. I love how it makes the viewer go "YESS!" whenever Gingi or Washuu pops up with some crazy solution.
And somehow I don't think Washuu has had many finer moments than her entrance to the series. [Can you say "Washuu vs. the USA, and she owns them in the face"?] :lol:
:washu:

Really, now. Where the heck did Gingi get that NASA spacecraft license, anyways???
by teh187
#2720 Everyone will have their own opinion.
I have watched season 1 and 2 of Sasami:MGC and it was definately worth watching, its what got me in to anime again and made me rediscover Tenchi Muyo after years, i think, or it was the other way around -.-.

But it is worth buying/streaming online.
by wwwwhhhhoooo
#3115 I'm watching the Pretty Sammy oav's currently in my free time (via our forum's totally awesome yt channel!) & I am absolutely loving it so far. Granted, I'm not one of those guys that enjoys seeing Sasami-aged girls scantily-clad in a skimpy Sailor Moon outfit, & the plot is arguably not the strongest element of this series (I'm not saying it's not solid or good, I haven't watched it all yet, I'm just saying as a spin-off most of us are probably used to the characters from one of the cannon series) but then again I see the plot similarly to Tokyo--it's supposed to be fun & whimsical, & as ForWashuu mentioned, characters like Washu really help make that happen.

My main appeal to it though has to be that since I haven't seen this series until now, it's like watching Tenchi for the first time in alot of ways, but even better because of all the characters/VA's I'm familiar with and already so fond of. It's so great to hear the English cast as they should always be, especially Petrea as Ryoko for me personally. It's what I wanted so bad from oav3: new adventures with old friends, the way it should be.

Thanks to all you wonderful people who uploaded this series--I may have never experienced it otherwise.

:hero:
by Blade-of-the-Moon
#6177 Question. Is Magical Project S as good as the Pretty Sammy OVA ? By that I mean the whole Tenchi cast is more or less present in every episode ..does the same hold true for Magical Project ?
by Dagon123
Blade-of-the-Moon wrote:Question. Is Magical Project S as good as the Pretty Sammy OVA ? By that I mean the whole Tenchi cast is more or less present in every episode ..does the same hold true for Magical Project ?

No

Magical Project S solely follows Sasami, Misao and the the predominant Pretty Sammy only cast. Mihoshi and Washu make some appearances, but Aeka and Ryoko are pretty much non-existence, if you're looking for something like the OVA, I wouldn't look here, but if you are into Magical Girl, and want a more Tenchi flavored version of it, this would be the way to go.
by Nobuyuki
Blade-of-the-Moon wrote: It's a real shame it didn't keep the same formula as the OVA.

See, that's why I like it. It's not the same old, tired formula.