El-Hazard, Dual, Photon, Pretty Sammy, GXP, WoG and other fringe series not starring the main cast.
by mitsuki lover
#16755 Are there any other reviews besides ANN's out there?
From my expierence reading anime reviews just because on reviewer may thrash a certain title doesn't mean
another will.It's only one person's view after all.Personally I be more interested in what they would say about it at Anime Academy and The Anime Review as those are two of the review sites that I go go
these days.I never read reviews at ANN.
by PurpleWarrior13
JGZinv wrote:I just hope that it doesn't hurt our chances too much considering I got it right from Funi that WoG is a test release.

My opinion on it I've stated before... but a c- is low even by my standards.

I know this is a little old, but I'm just curious... what would WoG be a test release for? They have almost all of Tenchi. Maybe it's for the type of release or something? :?
by Dagon123
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:I know this is a little old, but I'm just curious... what would WoG be a test release for? They have almost all of Tenchi. Maybe it's for the type of release or something? :?

At Ohayocon, JG Talked to the rep who is pretty much THE con rep for FUNimation, and it was implied that War on Geminar was like a "test" release for things that weren't main cast Tenchi, IE "If it does good, we might look into Dual, Photon, Pretty Sammy etc" "If it does mediocre or bombs, you can pretty much axe that idea entirely"
by PurpleWarrior13
#17919 Hmmm. Then I might have to get this release soon after all if it means a chance of us getting Pretty Sammy, or even better, Magical Project S. They could use the Sasami: Magical Girls Club cast for all I care. I just want that show dubbed!
by Dagon123
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:Hmmm. Then I might have to get this release soon after all if it means a chance of us getting Pretty Sammy, or even better, Magical Project S. They could use the Sasami: Magical Girls Club cast for all I care. I just want that show dubbed!

I can almost guarantee you that Magical Project S is never going to see a dub, and if it does, it will be a completely different cast than the original. Sadly magical girl outside of Japan now a days isn't too hot (or requires Madoka level twists/tone to get over) so the odds are slim to none.
by PurpleWarrior13
#17928 Still, never say never. Even if FUNimation doesn't pick that show up (and I'd be surprised if they did, seeing as the sales for Sasami: MGC weren't that good from what I hear), I suppose it's possible a company like Sentai could, and if they decided to do a dub, they could do it with Bang Zoom, and get Sherry Lynn back (who returned for their Rozen Maiden dub). Is it likely? Maybe not, but still, you never know.
What I don't get is why Pioneer never dubbed the show in the first place, seeing as Tenchi was pretty much their "trademark" show (like Dragon Ball Z to FUNimation, Evangelion to ADV Films, and Slayers to Central Park Media). Even if the Pretty Sammy OVA wasn't a hit, leaving a part of their big property undubbed seemed a little strange (even if it does make business sense). Imagine if one of the aforementioned companies released a part of their trademark properties undubbed :?
by Dagon123
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:What I don't get is why Pioneer never dubbed the show in the first place, seeing as Tenchi was pretty much their "trademark" show (like Dragon Ball Z to FUNimation, Evangelion to ADV Films, and Slayers to Central Park Media). Even if the Pretty Sammy OVA wasn't a hit, leaving a part of their big property undubbed seemed a little strange (even if it does make business sense). Imagine if one of the aforementioned companies released a part of their trademark properties undubbed :?

They didn't dub it because even though it was CONNECTED to Tenchi, it was too far removed from the main cast to warrant a dub (IE Not worth the money to dub). It also didn't have broad demographic appeal, look at the box covers for the VHS and DVD releases. Aside from Sasami, most Tenchi fans wouldn't even know who they were, hell I imagine most people who watched Toonami didn't even know it existed (A lot of people in Tenchi fandom still don't know the PS OVA exists, let alone MPS), and while Magical Girl seemed like it had a foothold because of Sailor Moon and Card Captor Sakura, those were really the stand-out exceptions, how many other Magical Girl shows did you see on North American TV aside from those? Not many, if any. It is strange that Pioneer of all people wouldn't dub a show, but keep in mind also that Pioneer never budgeted dubs, meaning they would sink a lot of money into a single dub, so if they knew they couldn't make a return, they probably weren't willing to take a chance on it.
by PurpleWarrior13
#17963 Like I said, I understand the business sense, it's just strange the way things worked out. Magical Girl shows are a hit or miss here. About the only hits are, like you said, Sailor Moon, Cardcaptor Sakura, but also Madoka Magica, Tokyo Mew Mew (it got good ratings on 4KidsTV, but Tom Wayland told me the 2nd half wasn't dubbed because the show was too short for merchandising), Winx Club (not an anime, but still definitely a Magical Girl show), and perhaps a couple others, but those are the biggies. I guess it also didn't help Magical Project S is a kid's show, and was even marketed as 3+ here (despite being subtitled. The subs were even lightly censored), where Tenchi is in an older male demographic. I guess it was difficult to make Magical Project S work in that regard. It's a shame really.

I'm still curious why FUNi decided to license Sasami: Magical Girl's Club. I'm happy they did, but it seemed like a pretty obscure little kids' show, easily the most obscure part of the Tenchi franchise. I guess since they handle the Tenchi property now, they sort of kinda... "got" it...? I know that's a horrible reason, but it's the only thing I can think of.
by spokethewind
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:Hmmm. Then I might have to get this release soon after all if it means a chance of us getting Pretty Sammy, or even better, Magical Project S.\

Isn't Pretty Sammy the 3 episode trial that eventually paved the way to Magical Project S and Magical Girls Club? Because Pretty Sammy has been dubbed by the original cast. The only thing that hasn't been dubbed is MPS and that simply will never happen, at least by a company. I think we're lucky that MGC was dubbed... however horrible it is. Which is why the Japanese versions are just fine by me. :lol:
by wwwwhhhhoooo
#18696 Not even all the way through as of this writing, but I just had to get on here and say Jason Liebrecht is dead-on as Kenshi Masaki (which proves that if they actually try, FUNi can do a good job at casting roles...even for Tenchi series!)

The rest of the characters seem cast well enough as well. Yukine Mare is a personal favorite, and Kristi Bingham (or rather, Kang now?) did an excellent job (I would have probably guessed Caitlin Glass just hearing her at first, as well as considering her portrayal of similar characters such as Yakumo in School Rumble in the past, but Kristi nailed it).