For discussing non-Tenchi related series
by Nobuyuki
#13577 Inspired by recent discussion:
mitsuki lover wrote:
Nobuyuki wrote:
mitsuki lover wrote:so who did the series?Was that ADV?

Yeah, the "New Cutey Honey" OVA series, though.
We've never gotten the original series or the "Re: Cutie Honey" series that came along with that movie.
That's too bad ,it would have been interesting to see the original anime series.

Well, Guess What?! :D
North American video distributor Discotek Media announced on Saturday that it will release the original 1973-74 Cutey Honey television series in a 25-episode box set next year.

The television series was the first anime adaptation of Go Nagai's classic manga of the same name. It centers around Honey Kisaragi, a girl who is actually an android equipped with a device that can create any object she wishes. An evil organization named Panther Claw wants to steal the device, but Honey uses the device to transform into the super heroine Cutey Honey to fight Panther Claw.

Video from : youtube.com

But wait, that's not all! :o
North American video distributor Discotek Media announced on Saturday that it will release the 92 episodes of the original 1972-74 Mazinger Z television anime series. Discotek is aiming to release the first box set at the end of 2013.

The anime was the first adaptation of Go Nagai's 1972 super robot manga of the same name. The story follows high school boy Kōji Kabuto in his super robot Mazinger Z as he battles Dr. Hell, a mad scientist bent on world domination.

And heck, they still have this waiting in the wings! :cool:

If TMS and Toei want to keep giving them shows, I'll keep giving D-tek my business!
by mitsuki lover
#13647 Oh yeah,that is definitely cool news Nobuyuki. :smile:
I can see me adding the original '70s Cutie Honey and Captain Harlock to my collection.
Now if someone would do something about resurrecting classic '80s series like KOR...
by chucklocker
#13721 Awesome stuff you've found there Nobuyuki! I believe my love for 70's anime, especially the work of one Leiji Matsumoto, is firmly on record here so I shall spare you all my gushing! :Cheeks:
Anyway, I will totally be getting some of these (after I give Funi all my money for the Tenchi sets that is!). I have heard a lot about Cutey Honey, but I have never actually seen any of it. How would you say it is? (everyone feel free to chime in, not just Nobuyuki)
by Soundmonkey44
#13730 DISCOTEK IS BEST PONY...ER I MEAN ANIME DISTRIBUTOR!

But yeah can't wait for these babies to hit! 2013 is looking to be a great year for fans of Retro/Classic animu! :D
by SilverWhisper
mitsuki lover wrote:Now if someone would do something about resurrecting classic '80s series like KOR...

People expressed interest in Nozomi Entertainment to do so, but that's not saying much. Don't expect Toho Company to grant distribution rights to high profile productions that aren't Godzilla or standalone anime movies. Hell, ADV Films couldn't even get the rights to DYRL.

Too bad Geneon is gone. IIRC, they had distribution rights for Urusei Yatsura in the motherland, and could have released box set collections here when AnimEigo's license expired...
by mitsuki lover
#13767 Yeah,it would've been nice to have had an official set to go along with my fansubs of KOR.

Chucklocker,I only have seen the live action movie so can't say anything about the actual anime itself for
Cutie Honey.Though if you enjoyed the campiness of the tv Batman you ought to check out the Cutie Honey live action movie.
by WisperG
SilverWhisper wrote:
mitsuki lover wrote:Now if someone would do something about resurrecting classic '80s series like KOR...

People expressed interest in Nozomi Entertainment to do so, but that's not saying much. Don't expect Toho Company to grant distribution rights to high profile productions that aren't Godzilla or standalone anime movies. Hell, ADV Films couldn't even get the rights to DYRL.

Too bad Geneon is gone. IIRC, they had distribution rights for Urusei Yatsura in the motherland, and could have released box set collections here when AnimEigo's license expired...

To my knowledge, ADVs release of Macross had nothing to do with Toei, they sublicensed that and Robotech straight from thte bungholes at Harmony Gold. But lets not get into the whole Macross/HG fiasco.
by Nobuyuki
mitsuki lover wrote:Yeah,it would've been nice to have had an official set to go along with my fansubs of KOR.

You're just late to the game... I got mine in the nick of time. :lol:

As for on-topicality, I have the ADV "New Cutey Honey" re-issue as well as the L-A movie, and I've seen "Re: Cutey Honey"... I'd agree with the campy fun description.

But I'm also willing to defer to the experts. :wink:
by SilverWhisper
#13816 ^I was going to say it's been out of print for a long time, but I noticed the forum dates from 2006...

The AnimEigo set is crap anyway. I don't care how significant it is to the anime community. It seems for all of AE's earlier releases that everything looks so faded, maybe from a filtering process they did to add the subtitles. I've seen taped broadcasts with better quality than the DVDs. Also, since they command outrageous prices, you might as well go all the way.
by mitsuki lover
#13850 The only problem with my fansub set for KOR is that in the days when I was new to DVDs and didn't know
nada about cleaning them I ended up scratching the second and third discs.Not too bad,and I was able to fix both with the Skip Dr. I later got last Christmas,but still one episode at the end of vol.3 has a problem now with looping back to the beginning.
*SIGH*If only I could go back and stop myself from being such an idiot! :(

As far as the series itself goes,I really rather enjoy it a lot. :D

Now as far as Go Nagai goes,I've only seen Devil Lady and the Live Action Cutie Honey.