by evilpii
#18297 This thread is derived from a mixture of ideas from these three threads. This thread is meant to be a discussion for fan fiction ideas and suggestions to authors in regards to those ideas. The hope is for this to be a serious discussion to help authors improve their conceptual design.

For those wanting feedback on a work in progress, particularly editing, please see DarkPatu's Beta Thread.

For those wanting to discuss lighthearted and thoughtful "what if" questions, please see Kiyoka's What-If Thread.

For those wanting to post chapters of their work, please begin a new thread, much like Vegeta Muyo, TMIL3, and Homecomings.
by evilpii
#18299 To start this discussion, I have had a story idea regarding parallel universes, particularly alternate timelines. In Dark Energy Trilogy and Homecomings, I have established Tokimi and the planet Ryua as major antagonists. A planned story has conflict wage between Jurai and Ryua, culminating with a confrontation with Tokimi. Naturally, I have a tentative ending in mind for that event.

However, I have dabbled with the idea of a second ending, where everything collapses. I have actually been considering the incorporation of this into the story by having characters from the "bad end" use some of Washu's technology to cross into the "good end", searching for help or sanctuary. This is an idea that has yet to be fully developed. Constructive comments and criticisms on this idea are welcome.

After talking with Chuck, I had the idea of adapting this scenario to an already completed work, Tenchi Muyo! versus Men in Black. In a similar vein, there is a critical event in this story, which has significant effect on the following two stories, namely Ryoko and Ayeka's battle with Illirg. In the story itself, Ryoko was meant to be
"infected" with the "other voice"
, rather than Ayeka. This incident creates
"Dark Ayeka"

However, what might have happened if Ryoko had been
consumed
, rather than Ayeka? How different would the timeline become from that singular change? Would this make an interesting stand-alone story, or perhaps a chapter in Homecomings?
by chucklocker
#18337 Goodness, what an awesome thread concept! I'm proud to have played a role in shaping it!

Anyway, before I get to my own ideas, I will see if I can address yours first pii.
Your first idea, involving a different/disastrous timeline crossing over into your main line, is one that I find very intriguing! If you are seeking a source of inspiration, I would direct you to watch an episode of Star Trek: Voyager ("Deadlock," Season 2, ep. 21), in which a very similar event occurs. I would imagine that the "refugees" from the crappy timeline would be quite desperate, and might even come out attacking their counterparts in an attempt to take over their places. It would be interesting to see how your characters will react to their "bad" counterparts, with mercy at first but forced brutality later? Quite good food for though. As for adapting it into an established story, I would think that it would best fit as a sort of "after story." Not quite a sequel, but more than an additional chapter. Sort of like an add-on story that readers can feel free to read or skip at their leisure. The same would go for your Ryoko idea I would imagine, seeing as it is dependent on an established story, but doesn't have any bearing on the established story itself.

Now for my idea! I have this great vision of a story involving Seto standing trial for her many backdoor manipulations and dirty dealings. Now, before anybody jumps to any conclusions, this is NOT some lame fanboy attempt to smack Seto around because I think she's a "mary sue." As I said a long time ago, she's a very cool character with poor onscreen development. Anyway, my idea would involve the story beginning with the trial, and working backwards almost through a combination of testimony and flashbacks. I would like to explore the inner crises that such an event would cause not only for Seto, but for the other characters as well, after all most of them are her intimate family. As for the trial itself, I had in mind a sort of military tribunal taking place in the immediate aftermath of a disastrous struggle on Jurai. I'm not sure who I would have presiding/prosecuting/defending though, and I would be open to any ideas. I also haven't got a clue at the moment as to how to end the story :lol:
by evilpii
chucklocker wrote:Goodness, what an awesome thread concept! I'm proud to have played a role in shaping it!

Thanks for the help! ^^V We need more collaborative projects around here. [nagi1]

chucklocker wrote:Your first idea, involving a different/disastrous timeline crossing over into your main line, is one that I find very intriguing! If you are seeking a source of inspiration, I would direct you to watch an episode of Star Trek: Voyager ("Deadlock," Season 2, ep. 21), in which a very similar event occurs. I would imagine that the "refugees" from the crappy timeline would be quite desperate, and might even come out attacking their counterparts in an attempt to take over their places. It would be interesting to see how your characters will react to their "bad" counterparts, with mercy at first but forced brutality later? Quite good food for though. As for adapting it into an established story, I would think that it would best fit as a sort of "after story." Not quite a sequel, but more than an additional chapter. Sort of like an add-on story that readers can feel free to read or skip at their leisure. The same would go for your Ryoko idea I would imagine, seeing as it is dependent on an established story, but doesn't have any bearing on the established story itself.

Thanks for the "Voyager" reference. ^^v I forget if I'd seen that episode or not, but I do remember "Year of Hell", which was a similar time travel story. Hmm... a one-shot would be a cool idea, somewhat like the "History of Trunks" special in Dragonball. I'll have to consider that idea more deeply before I can implement it. ^^;;

Truthfully, I do hope that others might take the "alternate history" idea and run with it. For example, what if Tenchi fell to Kagato, in OVA or TV? How would the family, and the universe as a whole, cope? That would be a fan fiction I would read. [nagi3]

chucklocker wrote:I have this great vision of a story involving Seto standing trial for her many backdoor manipulations and dirty dealings. Now, before anybody jumps to any conclusions, this is NOT some lame fanboy attempt to smack Seto around because I think she's a "mary sue." As I said a long time ago, she's a very cool character with poor onscreen development. Anyway, my idea would involve the story beginning with the trial, and working backwards almost through a combination of testimony and flashbacks. I would like to explore the inner crises that such an event would cause not only for Seto, but for the other characters as well, after all most of them are her intimate family. As for the trial itself, I had in mind a sort of military tribunal taking place in the immediate aftermath of a disastrous struggle on Jurai. I'm not sure who I would have presiding/prosecuting/defending though, and I would be open to any ideas. I also haven't got a clue at the moment as to how to end the story :lol:

I would seriously enjoy seeing this. We had discussed doing something similar with Homecomings, but my version of Seto isn't the "official" one. ^^; Your concept sounds a lot like the serial Trial of a Timelord from Doctor Who, which is also told via flashbacks to particular incidents with an overarching trial backdrop.

I could see Azusa or Funaho presiding over the case, though you might want someone new or scarcely used for that job. Preferably, this person would have no direct or known ties to the defendant, perhaps Ramia. The Juraihelm priests look a lot like the judge from Phoenix Wright, which could be cool. ^^v

... Actually, Ramia might be a better prosecutor. Edgeworth? :Tenchismile:
by chucklocker
evilpii wrote:Your concept sounds a lot like the serial Trial of a Timelord from Doctor Who, which is also told via flashbacks to particular incidents with an overarching trial backdrop.

Heh, it's funny that you should mention that, as that arc is something I had considered as a source of inspiration for me idea! The format, mind you, not the elements, and only loosely so. Anyway, thanks for the input, I am glad that you found the idea enjoyable!
evilpii wrote: For example, what if Tenchi fell to Kagato, in OVA or TV? How would the family, and the universe as a whole, cope? That would be a fan fiction I would read.

This is actually another idea I had considered previously. I had imagined a scenario in which Kagato had somehow succeeded in capturing Tsunami. What would happen then? Would Tokimi intervene to aide her sisters, or would she actually revel in the chaos? Could she intervene even if she wanted to considering Kagato's position? Would we somehow see Tenchi and Z team up, even begrudgingly to take down a common enemy? Oh how I love alternate story speculation! It's a never ending source of totally nerdy and thought provoking fun!
by evilpii
chucklocker wrote:
evilpii wrote: For example, what if Tenchi fell to Kagato, in OVA or TV? How would the family, and the universe as a whole, cope? That would be a fan fiction I would read.

This is actually another idea I had considered previously. I had imagined a scenario in which Kagato had somehow succeeded in capturing Tsunami. What would happen then? Would Tokimi intervene to aide her sisters, or would she actually revel in the chaos? Could she intervene even if she wanted to considering Kagato's position? Would we somehow see Tenchi and Z team up, even begrudgingly to take down a common enemy? Oh how I love alternate story speculation! It's a never ending source of totally nerdy and thought provoking fun!

That each of those could be some fun ideas to test. ^^v I did a little speculation here and there in stories already about the Universe continuity if, say, Kagato or Kain succeeded. What would a Kagato-ruled Jurai be like? Would he be a tyrannical ruler, perhaps even try his hand at conquest of the galaxy? What might become of our beloved cast? [nagi1]
by shadowsfall0
#18553 First I'd like to say that I love that concept of a trial on lady Seto. I do feel her cha.racter should've had better development on screen rather than behind the scenes(despite her being the puppeteer character of sorts). The idea of a world in which Kagato succeeds or even Kain has crossed my mind several times. I would definitely read that fanfiction if it is produced. :D

As for me I need to figure a few things for my current fanfiction project. I actually need to think of an equal experience between Ayeka and Tenchi as there is an experience for Ryoko and Tenchi I have planned. If you guys have any suggestions on that, I would be very open to them cx. Also Pii I have a few ideas on why Tenchi can't use his material conversion and on how to make a deeper role for Washu.

I'm gonna be off work a while anyway so I'll keep working at it, in fact the first section is neat done, a few more days and itl be finalized ^~^
by Kiyoka
shadowsfall0 wrote:First I'd like to say that I love that concept of a trial on lady Seto. I do feel her cha.racter should've had better development on screen rather than behind the scenes(despite her being the puppeteer character of sorts). The idea of a world in which Kagato succeeds or even Kain has crossed my mind several times. I would definitely read that fanfiction if it is produced. :D

Funny you should say that ;D *ahem* sort of anyay
by shadowsfall0
#18556 Hmm, if thats an endeavor you're trying to accomplish I have much respect and would be eager to read it ^.^ haha :Tenchismile:
by Kiyoka
shadowsfall0 wrote:Hmm, if thats an endeavor you're trying to accomplish I have much respect and would be eager to read it ^.^ haha :Tenchismile:

Ahaha... well.. its not quite what you think. Don't want to spoil anything here.. isawitplz