Reply To: Discussion: Episodes 6-10

Forums Tenchi Muyo! Discussion Anime Discussion: Episodes 6-10 Reply To: Discussion: Episodes 6-10

chucklocker
    Participant
    none

wwwwhhhhoooo wrote:

What was not fine by me was how far they went with using Tenchi-ken for a lewd sexual joke.

Well I’ll be damned… this is the first time I’ve ever actually disagreed with you regarding something Tenchi related, Who. And it’s even fanservice related at that! 😆

In all seriousness though, I actually thought the gag with the Tenchi-ken was really funny, and refreshingly done. Let’s face it, this isn’t the first time the connection has been made, not by a long shot. Probably since its very first appearance fans have snickered at the unintentional (or maybe not so unintentional…) phallic imagery associated with the Tenchi-ken. I thought the way that Ukan teased Tenchi by implying that it was something he was into was a refreshing and novel iteration of the gag. It seemed, to me at least, that Negishi was giving a wink and a nod to a fan in-joke that’s as old as the fandom itself, and he did so with more subtlety and craft than certain other Tenchi creators have in the past… Reasonable minds can certainly differ though, and I certainly wont hold it against anyone for finding something like this to be against their taste.