Reply To: The Mihoshi Special

Forums Tenchi Muyo! Discussion Anime The Mihoshi Special Reply To: The Mihoshi Special

wwwwhhhhoooo
    none
    When dealing with a story or recounting of events from Mihoshi’s standpoint, you can bet there may be some absurdity along the way. I love the Mihoshi Special, even though when I first stumbled upon it, I wasn’t exactly sure which canon, if any, it belonged to (though I suspected not Universe, seeing as how through the framing device of the Masaki household before the flashback, Kiyone was nowhere to be found).

Now that others have mentioned it, I totally get a Universe vibe from MS as well (admittedly, probably mostly because of Kiyone). I think it’s the fact that we see the main cast on crazy space-detective escapades portrayed in a ‘just-for-fun’ style that really brings out these feelings, not at all unlike the Time and Space Adventures episodes in Universe, at least for me (and I guess seeing Ryoko portrayed as actually being a child at one point, as she is in Universe and not in OAV…& it’s been a while since I’ve watched MS, but isn’t Kiyone’s ship Yagami also in there somewhere?).

Not to detract from Kiyone’s appearance and her partner for which the special is named, just throwing in my perspective, I really enjoyed MS also for–can you guess?–Ryoko. Returning yet again to the ‘Universe vibe’, we get to see Ryoko (even though only in Mihoshi’s version of past events) as a space pirate! & as such doing things you’d expect a space pirate to be up to on a regular basis…you know, plundering cargo from space ships, looting, & generally on-the-lam from the law? That sorta thing.

http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g463/wwwwhhhhoooo/Tenchiforum%20Banners/Ryoko_Scouter_cropped.jpg" />

Eat your heart out, Akira Toriyama 8-)

In my humble opinion, we didn’t get to see enough of Ryoko’s criminal, bad girl side even in Universe, so seeing her portrayed as such in Mihoshi’s story (not of Ryoko, mind you, of some other space pirate, wink wink) was awesome.

I also liked seeing Washu portrayed as her mother, something Universe obviously didn’t have, but unlike oav, we get a little bit of insight into their family relationship as one that would be considered a bit more ‘normal’ due to the fact that Ryoko seems to have been a child at one point and grown up, as suggested by the photographs found by Mihoshi (you know, instead of Washu combining mass & ‘growing’ Ryoko in a tube, or whatever she did in oav).

okay, I mentioned Washu, so Washu fans, that’s your cue! *passes the mic ;)