Reply To: Outlaw Star/Trigun/Cowboy Bebop

Forums Off Topic Other Anime Outlaw Star/Trigun/Cowboy Bebop Reply To: Outlaw Star/Trigun/Cowboy Bebop

Anonymous

charliepanayi wrote:

Cowboy Bebop is one of the greatest things ever, anyone who has seen it and disliked it needs their sanity called into question.

I wouldn’t necessarily go that far, do I love the show? Absolutely, but the episodic nature does work against it from time to time. I’m not a fan of the Godfather series, does that mean I need my sanity checked? lol

El Gonzo wrote:

Cowboy Bebop isn’t really a western, it’s a crime show. Trigun and Outlaw Star definitely are. I miss them being on TV.

I wouldn’t call Bebop a crime show, that would be much more of a stretch then referring to it as a space western. Crime show Anime are more City Hunter, You’re Under Arrest, Hyper Police, etc. Bebop fits the Space Western mold because of the very western feel it exudes (both aesthetically and plot wise). A bunch of misfits or outsiders being bounty hunters in MANY settings that are the very emobidment of a Western itself. I mean just look at the Bounty Channel they watch, the show is practically screaming it at you.

Bebop, Trigun, and Outlaw Star are all cut from the same cloth of space western but do it in a different way. Trigun is much more literal with the space western. Outlaw Star and Bebop use it as the mindset and how the environment works, the old American West in a future space setting essentially (No guns allowed in this town/planet, Bounty Hunters, Outlaws, and the “Law” eternally struggling for control, peace and chaos.) But most importantly the characters are as colorful as the ones from the west. What do you remember first, the town that was podunk and never had trouble, or the infamous accolades of Billy the Kid, Jessie James and so on.

Slightly off that question but it’s sad how for only a mere year, a blip in time, 3 of the most memorable and best anime ever came out, and then just like that, the Space Western genre, just like it’s parallel to the american wild west, tipped its hat and rode off into the sunset.