All discussion about the latest iteration of the Tenchi Saga!
by Nil Admirari
Sparkle wrote:
Nil Admirari wrote:
Sparkle wrote:Hey all!
So I've been a Tenchi Fan for ages (been on this forum since like... 2009? I dont remember ha!) but I was sorta out the loop with tenchi news recently. I've looked into this but I can't find answers to a few questions-is this a sort of spin off series like gxp? or is it more like,universe or tokyo with a whole new story?
Thank youuu!!

While the basic character profiles seem to be originating around the OVA storylines (Big hint being Ryoko's profile as it claims she was the "Demon trapped in the cave"), this seems to be an alternate spinoff from that rather than a continuation. So yeah, I'd expect it to be an Alternate Universe ordeal similar to Tokyo/Universe.

Welcome back to the forum, by the way! kiyonesmile1

Thanks for the quick reply!!
Ah, so I guess we wont really know until the series is released? It's late September or something right?

Mid to late October, airing on Tokyo MX. There's already a planned DVD release for Japan as well, though no word on if Funimation is working to bring it stateside.
by mitsuki lover
#24841 It will probably have to do with just how popular it is in Japan and how well it does on wheter or not it gets licensed outside.
Though I wonder if at the last moment they might decide to do a Sailor Moon and make it avaible streaming on the internet.
by Dagon123
Marty Kirra wrote:I'm sure we'll get soooomething from Funimation on it, eventually. I'm really curious about the dub possibility, mostly because I really want to see the OG English cast return. C'MON FUNIMATION.

I think this is wholly going to be on whether the Japanese voice cast returns, because if they don't, Funimation will just pull a GITS: Arise and say "Well since the Japanese redubbed it, we are too"
by mitsuki lover
#24872 Well there is the fact that GITS:ARISE is a prequel and so you would expect a younger cast for most of the
characters.Except didn't Aramaki's VA die?

It would all depend if the original dub cast for Tenchi:
1)were still avaible to revise their roles
2)were eager and ready to do so
3)Funi wanted them.

You know just because a VA is willing and avaible don't mean Funi wants them.
by KiyoneMihoshiFan
#24909 I'm really excited about the new Tenchi series! :D It wasn't what I really expected...but it still seems to be awesome. I'm glad some of the classic characters are back. Kind of sad they didn't bring back Kiyone Makibi though /: That would have been epic there :) I'm assuming they have revealed all of the characters. I guess there is a possibility she is in it but not yet revealed, but I think that is unlikely.
by wwwwhhhhoooo
mitsuki lover wrote:
It would all depend if the original dub cast for Tenchi:
1)were still avaible to revise their roles
2)were eager and ready to do so
3)Funi wanted them.

You know just because a VA is willing and avaible don't mean Funi wants them.

Your right ML, in this case however we can cross off one and two, as we've heard firsthand from Matt and Petrea they're willing and able.

It's a matter of how secure Funi would feel if they could make a good enough profit financially. I'm a little skeptical about Funi 'going the distance' to get the alumni back (assuming it gets dubbed, that is, not just picked up) but they have the track record of OVA3/GXP to go off of now. Since the reception to their dubs were very much less-than savory, maybe they'll rethink their approach to this nostalgia mine they've gone through the trouble of reacquiring in totality.

I agree about the "if/then" scenario with regards to the Japanese end: if we want even a chance of dub VA's returning, the original cast would have to return, otherwise Funi's got the out they need to not go through the 'extra effort' to get, say, Petrea back.
by mitsuki lover
#24945 I'm glad you said that about Petrea as I know most if not all dubfans would love to have her back as Ryoko.Though her and Matt being willing to come back doesn't mean that Funi would want to have them back. I mean look at the
controversy over them not re-casting Amanda Winn Lee as Rei/Pen Pen in the Eva remakes,even though she
seemed willing and ready to do so.
But again we're back to the 'If/Then' situation since we won't know how well it will do in Japan yet.We don't even
know if it would be Funimation that would even get the licensing rights to the new series even if it were available.
This is just all speculation at this point since Funi has the rights to the rest of the franchise.So we need to wait and see what happens before getting too excited.
In the meantime let's keep our fingers crossed.
by Kiyami
#24991 The website for Ai Tenchi has been updated. Masami Kikuchi, Ai Orikasa and I think the others are reprising their roles. It also lists the rest of the voice cast.

http://www.ai-tenchi.jp/cast_staff/index.html

http://www.ai-tenchi.jp/

New visuals too.

Ai Tenchi's twitter:
愛・天地無用! ‏@ai_tenchi
【キャスト】愛・天地無用!キャストも発表です!!主人公、天地は菊池正美さん、川流もも役は東山奈央さんです!
その他のキャストは是非公式HPにてご確認ください!!