All discussion about the latest iteration of the Tenchi Saga!
by chucklocker
#25262 So, as we all know, Ai Tenchi Muyo! is being partially financed by the city of Takahashi as a means to promote tourism and anime pilgrimages. This thread will be a place to list and discuss any and all real life locations that may appear in the anime. Get your trip planners ready kiddies, we're going on a field trip!

The first real world location to report on was mentioned in today's episode (ep. 5), and is the Okayama Korakuen.
This is a traditional Japanese garden located in Okayama, and is considered one of the very best examples in the entire country. Known for its large variety of flowers and the cranes that take up residence in the garden, it is one of the premiere relaxation and nature spots in Okayama.

As if I needed even more reasons to visit Okayama!
by chucklocker
#25330 The second real world location name dropped in Ai Tenchi Muyo! came in yesterday's episode, and was in reference to the Bichyuu Matsuyama Castle.
Located in good ol' Takahashi city itself, the castle is notable for being one of only twelve remaining original castles in Japan, and being the highest above sea-level.
by chucklocker
#25353 The third real world location referenced in Ai Tenchi Muyo came in today's episode, and is Tomomi-en, in Akaiwa City, Okayama Prefecture. This is a peach resort where visitors can arrange a peach picking tour! The resort is renowned for its white peaches, an Okayama signature fruit called a Hakutou.
by GregTheLion
#25373 I should be quick to point out that several characters (old and new) are named after landmarks in the Okayama Prefecture.
by chucklocker
GregTheLion wrote:I should be quick to point out that several characters (old and new) are named after landmarks in the Okayama Prefecture.

Indeed, its good to see the tradition being carried on! Stay tuned for more real world locations as they come in! :D
by susano
#25582 The school looks like the campus of Kibi International University. Kibi International University is a private university located in Takahaski City.
by chucklocker
susano wrote:The school looks like the campus of Kibi International University. Kibi International University is a private university located in Takahaski City.

Great find, Susano! Kibi International University does indeed bear a striking resemblance to Junai Academy!
(I'd put up some side-by-side comparison shots, but I suck at screencaping, image editing, and expending minimal effort. Perhaps someone *cough* PII *cough* NIL *cough* could do it? :) )

*EDIT* After lengthy discussion in mini-chat I'd like to note that this is (probably) not a direct reference on the part of the show's creators. I merely suggest that this real-life location could have been the model for the fictional Junai Academy. Don't agree? Feel free to sound off below! :)
by Nil Admirari
#25586 It could very possibly be intended to be that building (seeing as this IS a show about Takahashi), but overheads of both campuses show drastically different featuresets.

The only similarities between the two campuses are green roofing on part of the campus and the inclusion of a suspended walkway. They may be going for a romanticized, "this is this campus in the future" version since they have robots and all.