All discussion about the latest iteration of the Tenchi Saga!
by Nil Admirari
#25498 Image

Episode 15 is now subtitled and available!

and also...

Week 3 Super Cut now available!

Episode 15:

Yup, recap number 3. Unfortunate. Momo does give us a little nugget about Hachiko's sword though, interesting that she's given it a name. Shoulda named it Lucille. Overall though, a really great week. I've been glad to see Hachiko and Beni get some acceptance by the fanbase over the week, Tenchi bringing the pain and Ryoko still not quite paying full attention to The Food Network.
by evilpii
#25504 Today's episode ties up the week, skimming through what has happened on campus. Momo does allude to losing herself in the storage building too and being rescued by Hana and the others. Presumably, they used the map Hachiko lost to do so. blush1 She also mentions that Hachiko's bokuto is the "Herald of Swords", so one wonders if she might get an actual sword by the end of all this. After all, Momo does have a sword, shown last week while rescuing Tenchi from the Club, but it has not yet been seen out of its sheath. Where did she even get that anyway? qt1

This week has been a fun one. Let us see what next week will bring. Likely, the festival will happen, and maybe have Ayeka or Sasami sneaking around as well. Tenchismile
by SnowQueen
#25508 I just thought of why Ryo-ohki might not be around....and it might have to do something with Ryoko's cooking. After all Ryo-ohki was alway's the taste tester. Poor Ryo-ohki.... dawohki1 ( Lol this just me being silly btw please don't take this seriously ^^;)

by Daydreamwalker
#25511 Just in time for Halloween! woooo1

"Double, double toil and trouble;
Fire burn, and cauldron bubble.
Eye of newt, and toe of frog,
Wool of bat, and tongue of dog,
Adder's fork, and blind-worm's sting,
Lizard's leg, and owlet's wing,—
For a charm of powerful trouble,
Like a hell-broth boil and bubble."
mmmm1
by Dagon123
#25520 Image

Tenchicast 26: No Need for Ai Tenchi Muyo! PT.3 (Episodes 11-15) | Latest Tenchicast

Video from : youtu.be
by wwwwhhhhoooo
#25530 Great cast guys!

I was recently reminded at how much these episodes cram into such a short time frame. Watching Blade of the Phantom Master yet again, I was drawn to the arc involving the Mandrake plant (spelled by subs as "Mandarake" more or less how it is pronounced with a Japanese dialect). For those unaware, a Mandrake is the unfortunate little bugger Ryoko threw into her stew in Episode 14.

They have many reputations in fiction, myth, and the real world:

- They're said to scream when uprooted (as Harry Potter fans can attest to)

- They've long been associated with witchcraft (thus Ryoko's bubbling cauldron)

- They've also been associated with fertility as a sort of "love potion" (doesn't take much to see why Ryoko would be interested in something like that)

- Though primarily a work of satire, the narrative of Machiavelli's La Mandrogola involves a man attempting to use Mandragora (Mandrake) to scheme his way into sleeping with a woman (with Ryoko and Tenchi, the genders happen to be reversed)

- The real-world roots are said to not only contain powerful hallucinogens (notice all the pretty colors when Ryoko dropped it in the pot), but are downright poisonous if ingested (so when Ryoko commented it might send Tenchi to heaven, there may have been more truth to that statement than she intended).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mandrake_(plant)

Ai continues to impress me more and more. Looking forward to next week!
by SnowQueen
#25532 ^ Very interesting Who! I knew what a Mandrake was but never knew all that info on them.

I don't know about you guys but when watching episode 14 and seeing Ryoko "cook" I had a thought of Urd (Ah! My Goddess) using Ryoko's cooking as one of her crazy potion's and then I had the thought of those two making all sorts of crazy love spells and potions together and using them on Tenchi and Keiichi . XD Ryoko sure looks like she has the "talent" for it even though she rather call it cooking. lol
by Nil Admirari
#25533 That's a really good observation, Who! I think that speaks very well for the level of detail being thrown in such a small timeframe per episode. So many little details added to enforce the fact of what it was, and the disturbing implications of Ryoko cooking one into that pot and then shoving it down Tenchi's throat. Lord have mercy if the whole house ate one, we'd have a weird Mushroom Samba episode.
by drillmaster
#25534 Wait Mandrakes are an established thing in mythology?! Wow, as much as I love Harry Potter, I have to say JK tended to overuse pre-established creatures a bit too much. Still, a Harry Potter tie and a MiB nod. Awesome.

I have to say, I've really been enjoying this show. I've grown to like most of the new girls (jury's still out on Momo, but I'll give her time) and thrilled to see the original girls in a light hearted way. I'm still curious about the feudal era stuff, but I'm sure it will be explained in time. The action this week was great but I want to see more Washu damn it!
by SilverWhisper
wwwwhhhhoooo wrote:The jab at manga reading and correlating levels of productivity was hilarious!
(Have we finally discovered where Nobuyuki ended up hiding his collection?)

Heh, when Rui said it was from before they were born, could it be an allusion to the 1994 manga adaptation? Clearly, the Ai continuity takes place around 2012 to 2014, the latter also being appropriate as it's the twentieth anniversary of the original series. The students were likely born between 1995 to 1998.