All discussion about the latest iteration of the Tenchi Saga!
by Dagon123
#25516 Discussion episodes 16-20

NOTE*Do not discuss the promotional spoilery material without the use of spoiler tags as well as a forewarning on what the spoiler contains.
by Nil Admirari
#25517 As an example of the above (and yes, this is a spoiler for next week's episodes):

Regarding the images seen on the Ai Tenchi plot page:

My first thought?

It's a long shot, being that the design of the choker is so different and her hair is black instead of teal. I'm going to say that it isn't Kiyone, but could just be a callback to her Pretty Sammy iteration. Whoever it is, we haven't seen them before and they appear to be a big enough deal to get an image dedicated to them. Perhaps even another character analog to the Monotaro legend? There's only so much material to pull from there.

Follow that to the T and we'll be fine. There are things some people don't want spoiled for them but we still want to allow for discussion for those that do wish to peek ahead.
by Nil Admirari
#25539 Image

Episode 16 is now subtitled and available!

Episode 16:

Back in the USSR feudal-esque timeline, Ryoko and Mihoshi get into it as one would expect an officer of the Galaxy Police and a legendary Space Pirate would. Unfortunately, whatever that rift is managed to suck both of them up into it. Perhaps that's Washu's way of collecting everyone who accidentally got scattered around in the different timelines? Seemed hilariously convenient that it would show up just long enough to slurp the two of them up like noodles.

Interestingly, Momo's got her hands on the Tenchi-ken in this timeline. One wonders what a little girl like her would be doing with such a devastating weapon, or the strange powers she used to deflect Ryoko during the battle. The party has stumbled across the impact of the meteor that killed the dinosaurs, but no signs of Momo's crashed ship. Towards the end, we get a little look at where at least part of the crew went. Beni Lugosi's dead? Not quite!

Really loved the fight sequence in this episode. This timeline much more closely resembles the original Momotaro legend compared to the school timeline which takes liberties with the setting and overall plot elements. Makes you wonder how it will eventually combine with the regular timeline?
by SnowQueen
#25544 So my question is... Why does Momo have Tenchi-kun? Furthermore way is Tenchi not surprised at all? Sure this dimension is all messed up as we've just seen but still....makes me think if Momo is going to end up being some sort of branch of Juraian after all. After seeing her deflect Ryoko's attack in episode 8 made me think of a certain Jurain Princess and her powers so I think its possible that Momo could be of Juraian royalty or something quite close to the Juraian bloodline.
by evilpii
#25553 After the fun times of last week, we are brought again to the feudal timeline, where "Universe" Ryoko and Mihoshi finally have their brawl. That in and of itself made this a fun episode to watch. soawesome1 Just when Ryoko seems to have the upper hand, the rift opens and drags the two of them out of this existence.

My running theory here is still that these two are alternate versions of the Ryoko and Mihoshi from the Universe continuity. Imagine, if you will, the rift taking the two of them out of "Universe Beta" (as opposed to "Universe Prime", the actual continuity) before Ryo-Ohki crashes on Earth in Universe episode 1, perhaps crashing them both on this feudal Earth. Neither would know Tenchi, Ryoko would be ruthless, Mihoshi would still be bumbling. However, she seems far more competent here than she did in Universe. blush1 That too sets her apart from her "Universe Prime" counterpart.

Nil could be right about Washu pulling these two out and putting them back where they belong, though it could still be possible that the rift remains unstable. In which case, "Universe Beta" Ryoko and Mihoshi just got tossed into another variant reality. wth2 Then again, Washu might do that for giggles too. qt1

To the device in Momo's hands,
I do not think that it is Tenchiken, or at least not the one we all know. Notice that the guard is pink, rather than violet as in every other continuity, as well as its recent appearances in episodes 9 and 11-13. However, is it a variant of Tenchiken, just as Ryoko and Mihoshi were? I think it might be. gendo1

I had a thought between viewings of this episode. What if
Momo is an alternate version of Tenchi, or perhaps Ayeka, or both? Say she was supposed to be given away for some political reason, but ran with her loyal guard (Beni) at her side?

This is all speculation at this point, but who knows? Tenchismile It is curious that Tenchi does not notice the device in Momo's hands. I thought for a moment that perhaps he lent her Tenchiken just to give her a "security blanket" of sorts. However, the coloration and how she talks about it (i.e. "it's supposed to let us see very far") seems to the contrary, as well as common sense. Why lend a child a potential weapon, particularly if she is known to have some kind of power? wtfisthis1

As far as the crater and Beni are concerned, they seem both self-explanatory, at least until the next feudal era episode. gendo1
by WisperG
evilpii wrote:As far as the crater and Beni are concerned, they seem both self-explanatory, at least until the next feudal era episode. gendo1

Personally, I find her appearance to be the biggest question mark of all. Assuming the mini-Momo with Tenchi is the same that Beni launched from the ship in the first feudal episode, then feudal Beni got sucked into the black hole and Washu went "Oh, I guess she died," and I don't think Washu would've willingly killed her, so that leads me to believe that Washu is not behind the black holes.

If Beni had escaped the black hole in another escape pod/ship like we glimpsed her in at the end of this episode, Washu should have known and wouldn't have proclaimed her dead. So... how did she get there?
Even if she didn't create them, maybe Washu can still manipulate/interfere with them, and made it spit out Beni? (Perhaps)
Is it another Beni from yet another timeline? (I really hope not, that would be getting way too confusing)

I wonder how this bodes for Ryoko and Mihoshi. If Beni really did "die" upon being sucked into the black hole, did the other two die as well? But seeing as how Beni seems to have made it out ok, I guess those two are fine (although, technically, I suppose we don't really know if she's alive or not yet)

Also, what do you think caused the crater, Pii? Certainly her tiny escape pod didn't do that. The rest of the ship blowing up, perhaps?
by evilpii
WisperG wrote:Personally, I find her appearance to be the biggest question mark of all. Assuming the mini-Momo with Tenchi is the same that Beni launched from the ship in the first feudal episode, then feudal Beni got sucked into the black hole and Washu went "Oh, I guess she died," and I don't think Washu would've willingly killed her, so that leads me to believe that Washu is not behind the black holes.

If Beni had escaped the black hole in another escape pod/ship like we glimpsed her in at the end of this episode, Washu should have known and wouldn't have proclaimed her dead. So... how did she get there?
Even if she didn't create them, maybe Washu can still manipulate/interfere with them, and made it spit out Beni? (Perhaps)
Is it another Beni from yet another timeline? (I really hope not, that would be getting way too confusing)

I bet it is the same Beni from the ship, possibly in some sort of statis. If so, Washu might have assumed her dead since she might not have any detectable vital signs in statis. We will have to wait and see. tenchiahhhhhh

Considering Washu admits that this all happened due to, or coincidentally, with one of her experiments, she likely has some amount of control, but probably not total. For example, in TMiL1, Washu could send and receive people to 1970, but not send them directly to where Kain appeared due to lack of data about the incident. I would expect this is similar. Tenchismile

WisperG wrote:I wonder how this bodes for Ryoko and Mihoshi. If Beni really did "die" upon being sucked into the black hole, did the other two die as well? But seeing as how Beni seems to have made it out ok, I guess those two are fine (although, technically, I suppose we don't really know if she's alive or not yet)

I doubt we will find out. These two cannot be the actual Universe Ryoko and Mihoshi unless they completely forgot about this entire incident, and there are more pressing matters at hand. However, I expect to see more refugees from other continuities. Don't fail me, based Negishi. butts1

WisperG wrote:Also, what do you think caused the crater, Pii? Certainly her tiny escape pod didn't do that. The rest of the ship blowing up, perhaps?

Without more evidence, I would say it was the rest of the ship. The initial ship they used in episodes 3 and 8 was larger than the escape craft shown in episode 8 and 16, and it seemed to be under duress due to the rift.
by drillmaster
#25558 You know what would be crazy: if this entire show was building toward a cross between the Momotaro Legend and some kind of Tenchi multiverse thing, where the Tenchi of AI, the fedual Tenchi, the Tenchi of Universe, the Tenchi of Tokyo, and the Tenchi of the OAV all fought whatever is screwing with these timestreams? It sounds like crappy fanfiction, but if Ninja Turtles can do it, why can't Tenchi?

If anything, I assume the two timelines will merge at some point and there will be two versions of Ryoko and Mihoshi running around somewhere.
by wwwwhhhhoooo
#25559 What if I told you that Ai...

...is just another one of the alternate universes created in Episode 11 of Universe? And what if I then told you that it was none other than Tenchi-sensei's ideal universe???

For reals though, these "crazy" theories are fun, and Ai has given me little reason to doubt that the truth of the matter may end up being quite unusual indeed.

I concur with Pii's theory with regards to how much Washu is in control of things: she always gives off the vibe that she's completely in control of everything she's meddling with (true to form, as a scientist). Yet there are always variables, unseen factors, and of course things simply outside of the realm of at-the-moment knowledge...even for the great Washu (I'm thinking of Beni surviving...Washu saying "oh, I guess she died" sounds more like Washu assuming based on lack of signs of life versus somehow divining the answer).

On a similar track, and of course due to it being reference by the show and discussed here, my thoughts move towards how Washu "cleaned up" the last big mess involving multiple timelines/dimensions: "Time and Space Adventures" of Universe. In those three episodes, Washu's approach was systematic, fixing each problem one by one.

Connecting this to the recently-aired Episode 16, though the exact origin of these rifts, and the extent of Washu's control over them, is currently unknown, the fact that a rift opens up juuuust long enough at juuuust the right moment to scoop up Ryoko and Mihoshi--and no one else--leads me to believe that this particular occurrence was no accident: it looked like Washu "cleaning up" her mess.