All discussion about the latest iteration of the Tenchi Saga!
by evilpii
#25587 Continuing the festival, this episode houses more random fun for everyone. Tenchismile

The Goriki robot from the Temple of Storage reappears, spooking Tenchi into hugging Momo, to protect her no doubt. qt1 I did find it rather humorous that it was designed to lift an egg carefully. Who builds a super robot for that? wth2 Perhaps this is just a presentation of its precision, rather than its other abilities, which Tenchi saw last week. Still, its reaction to Tenchi cracking all of its precious eggs was nice. kiyonesmile1 See you in the next time zone, Tenchi.

However, the big draw of this episode has to be the arm-wrestling match between Ryoko and Beni. Many have been waiting for a throwdown between one of the Masaki residents and one of Tenchi's students, and we finally get it. iloveit1 As much as I would love Tenchi getting beaten by his student, Ryoko's utter irony of "defending" him while disregarding him herself was delicious. gendo1 Okuda's writing did that a lot, usually by having Tenchi complain that he was the "main character". Nevertheless, amber eye to amber eye, the two women go at it, pushing each other to the limit. Good times. soawesome1

However, Ryoko makes an apt observation. As a space pirate, she is not exactly weak, and yet, Beni is holding her own the whole time. So, is Beni human (i.e. Terran, from Earth, etc.)? If this universe is tied directly to the feudal era events, that answer is probably "no". Even then, who is she? Where does she come from? Who are her people? These are the things I must know. gendo1

Elsewhere, Tenchi lands in a coffin, somewhat appropriate with Halloween coming up. blush1 And, Hachiko must... oh... oh my. wth2 Tune in tomorrow to see who's going to save Tenchi's career! mmhmm1
by wwwwhhhhoooo
#25593 As soon as I had an inkling that Ryoko and Beni would come to blows (even before I "peeked" I thought it was very likely going to occur), I figured this would happen: people will start thinking of Tenchi, Ryoko & Beni in terms of power level 'x' or some such innocuous analysis. For many reasons, including comedy, Ryoko and Beni were presented as fairly evenly matched.* The champ vs. the up-and-comer, getting to literally fight for Tenchi (well, at least, from Ryoko's viewpoint lol) instead of "new girl gets Tenchi because new girl is bestest girl because reasons." What better way to represent the clash of House Masaki vs. Junai academy than with these two?

Also, did anyone catch Touri sitting in the audience at the play eating Sasami snacks? You know, just like she said she wanted to do in Episode 17? :lol:

I'm also curious: who was supposed to be the princess in the coffin? It was empty when Tenchi landed in it, right? Anyway, next episode should be good!

*But, you know, for real real, my girl The Devil Caller better not lose to the rookie!
by Nil Admirari
wwwwhhhhoooo wrote:Also, did anyone catch Touri sitting in the audience at the play eating Sasami snacks? You know, just like she said she wanted to do in Episode 17? :lol:

Yup, I caught that too. Such an adorable little detail.
by Nil Admirari
#25598 Image

Episode 19 is now subtitled and available!

Episode 19:

We all knew that kiss wasn't going to be Hachiko's honor, but the buildup to Tenchi's freakout and scrambled escape was pretty great. The show must go on! Ukan's punishment for getting too physical with the students is a cruel one, but not one we haven't seen before from this series - as seen in Universe when he had to crossdress to go undercover. Hey Wispy, guess you've got your basis for how Tenchi'd look as a woman now, huh? kiyonesmile1

So with Tenchi going full Makoto Mizuhara, some hijinx are sure to come next week. I imagine we'll be getting some callbacks to Universe's bikini contest episode. Dare I say we'll see Nagi show up to take first place again? Also glad to see the Guardians show up today. We haven't seen anything relating to them up to this point, so #TeamRyoOhki can still hold out hope!
by wwwwhhhhoooo
SnowQueen wrote:Tenchi as a girl is best girl. ;)

Finally, the true Tenchi Solution has been revealed!

I absolutely did not see this coming before starting today's episode! Nice Universe callback, and yes Nil, our boy went full Mizuhara for this op. :lol:

Curious to see how far this will go! What happens if Tenchi enters this contest and actually wins? Nagi showing up at the contest seems like asking for the moon, but ohhhh would I love to be pleasantly proven wrong! I also didn't anticipate the Guardians showing up either! So glad they got some screen time, and I hope they get more.

P.S. Nil, did you intend for today's screencap and text to accompany Lady Tenchi GIF so well? Cuz whether you intended to or not, I think you made a funny.

Video from : youtube.com
by SnowQueen
#25603 I would love it if Ryoko and Ayeka (or even just one of them) entered the contest as well ^^

(watch Sasami win it even though she mostly likely won't be a part of it)
by GregTheLion
#25605 It isn't even Friday, and already this week has given me reason #75 the RyoTen is best ship.

ImageImage

Their cross-dressing is amazing! iloveit1
Can we please have these two perform a Meatloaf Duet or something?
by wwwwhhhhoooo
GregTheLion wrote:It isn't even Friday, and already this week has given me reason #75 the RyoTen is best ship.
Their cross-dressing is amazing! iloveit1

Well said.

GregTheLion wrote:Can we please have these two perform a Meatloaf Duet or something?

That sounds like a cool idea Greg, but mmm...idk...I'll think about it...let me sleep on it. :wink:
by evilpii
#25609 Today's episode had several highlights. Needless to say, seeing Azaka and Kamidake alive and well put a right smile on my face when I saw the raws. Tenchismile Now, can we go a few steps farther down that path? Image Image

Admittedly, Tenchi is getting unfairly punished since he did not actually kiss Haciko. blush1 However, throwing back to Universe episode 21 does not disappoint me in the least. Image If Ai episode 21 does end up being throwback to Universe episode 20 as Nil has theorized, I will be highly impressed. soawesome1 While I doubt my lady Nagi will appear, it would be funny to see Tenchi win the prize as the "newcomer". Image Also, I currently have Matt Miller's "Tenko" voice stuck in my head thinking about this whole endeavour. blush1

Now, I do have some questions about Ukan. Obviously, she has a few shades of Ryoko on her since she enjoyed tormenting Tenchi, as well as some similar tastes in clothing, but she put a nice crack in that wall. Considering Beni's ridiculous strength in her recent exchanges with Ryoko, one might not rule out that Ukan might not have completely human traits either. What is her story anyway? butts1 I do accept that some of this might be just for dramatic exaggeration, but this is Tenchi, after all. woooo1

Also, that Goriki robot certainly does get around. qt1 Yuki has been compared to Washu vaguely before, but this little switcheroo with Goriki is reminiscent of Washu and her doll in OVA series 2 episode 5 when dealing with Zero and Clay. Of course, if the robot survived Tenchi slicing it up, we will probably see it again after Azaka and Kamidake blew it away. kiyonesmile1

All around, this episode was more fun. I'll enjoy watching the supercut tomorrow. Tenchismile