All discussion about the latest iteration of the Tenchi Saga!
by Dagon123
#25647 Discussion episodes 21-25

NOTE*Do not discuss the promotional spoilery material without the use of spoiler tags as well as a forewarning on what the spoiler contains.
by Nil Admirari
#25675 Image

Episode 21 is now subtitled and available!

Episode 21:

Let the games begin! Each of the girls brings a little bit of themselves to the competition through their outfits. Though, I don't really know what Yuki was going for, there. And I guess now we know which manga Beni was reading while they were stuck in the school's warehouse, huh? As expected, Tenchi's feminine form dominates the room and brings home the gold medal. What's his secret? Oh, nothin but a little Jurian royalty. Fun episode!

Also, I wonder what's up with Hana's notebook at the end? She has a sketch done of herself and what looks like Tenchi's female form. But is it Tenchi? Or is Tenchi reminding Hana of someone else she once knew?
by julia
#25676 It reminded me of the diary of ~destiny~ from Mawaru Penguindrum! lol

(Also the original owner's name in MP is Momoka XD)
by SnowQueen
#25678 Looks like Fem-chi already has a secret admirer. Tenchi just had to target at everyone's heart didn't he/she? ;)

I have to say though seeing Momo as well.....a Momo was so cute! And Rui was super kawaii as well. I wish everyone wasn't so mean to her. dawohki1
by evilpii
#25679 This episode certainly brought a lot to the party. blush1 The entire episode has throwbacks to earlier Tenchi, as well as references to different anime. Tenchismile By my count, here's what I noticed.

1. Hana and Touri are the announcers, so not directly participating. Their commentary is not unlike that of Nobuyuki and Katushito in Universe episode 20, and gives some insight into each character.
  2. Momo is dressed as a giant peach creature, very cute. This could be referencing many shows, but the first that comes to mind is Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu. mmhmm1 Then again, there were those cabbit-suits from Tokyo episode 11.
  3. Hachiko, naturally, just keeps her costume from the play, which is a European-style military formal uniform. This easily could be poking at shojo series like Utena.
  4. Yuki dons a gym class swimsuit, which is a staple in high school anime, even showing up in a couple early episodes of Evangelion.
  5. Rui, likewise, is in a bloomer gym suit, another high school anime trope, much like Achika's in Tenchi Muyo! in Love.
  6. Beni, however, breaks the mold a bit by wearing a male gakuran school uniform. I doubt anyone can question what trope she is. jotaro1
  7. Ukan steps out representing... well... let's just say someone had better "Call [Her] Princess", or maybe queen. I'm looking at you, Ayeka. qt1
  8. Tenchi, on the other hand, is more simple and refined, dare I say, like his mother or Ayeka would normally. soawesome1 Of course, this is not the first time Tenchi has crossdressed, the first time I recall being Universe episode 21.

I loved all the little nods as well: Hana turning toward camera and saying they "shouldn't waste time", Yuki's glasses acting as a scouter (breaking OVER 9000!), even Tenchi's sparkles. iloveit1 As for the ending, I am a bit worried of Ukan's rather fiery interest in our young student teacher. He might want to keep himself out of her sight for a while. woooo1 However, I think Hana might cause him more misunderstandings with his mentor. No luck for you, Masaki. Kiyofacepalm1

Also, Ryoko and Ayeka's reactions to Ukan were delightful. While I am disappointed in them not getting directly involved, I wonder what they might do now that they have seen all of those around Tenchi's job. gendo1
by WisperG
#25680 That was a very fun episode, although I still find all these girls fawning over each other to be extremely cliche for a show set at an all-girls school :/

I will definitely be basing Femchi's hair on Tenchi's new hairdo gendo1

And Hana seems to have gone full fangirl mode. That book she has is strange though. What are the odds she already wrote, and illustrated the cover of, a FemchixHana fanfic by the time Tenchi and Momo walked halfway across the school grounds? Kiyofacepalm1

evilpii wrote:Hachiko, naturally, just keeps her costume from the play, which is a European-style military formal uniform. This easily could be poking at shojo series like Utena.

I would think more Rose of Versailles, than Utena. But I guess they're all "classical European uniforms" in the end.

Beni, however, breaks the mold a bit by wearing a male gakuran school uniform. I doubt anyone can question what trope she is. jotaro1

Although most Westerners immediately associate that look with Jojo, I would imagine most Japanese viewers probably just see it as more of a generic Bancho/high school delinquent look, which does kinda fit her personality.

Ukan steps out representing... well... let's just say someone had better "Call [Her] Princess", or maybe queen. I'm looking at you, Ayeka.

I know it's probably not based on Dead or Alive, but that's the first thing I thought of when I saw her dress. There are two characters in DOA with costumes that look practically identical to Ukan's dress. I guess it's a specific type of dress, although off the top of my head I don't recall actually seeing one outside of DOA before.

Nil Admirari wrote:Image

Also, any fan of Rumiko Takahashi should instantly recognize Hana's hand gesture here. I don't know if it actually originated from Takahashi, but she uses it frequently in her manga.
by GaianKnight
#25683 What I wana know now, (if this series is OVA continuity based,) is that: would Rea and Noby come and chastise Tenchi for cross dressing, or would they join in?! Could almost see such a heartwarming (or brain melting,) scene of all three together, in some fem-slash sing along, or worse: a cross dress fem slash Pretty Sammy sing along!

Mind need a mind wipe, after that one, if it happened. =..=;;;
by evilpii
WisperG wrote:
evilpii wrote:Hachiko, naturally, just keeps her costume from the play, which is a European-style military formal uniform. This easily could be poking at shojo series like Utena.

I would think more Rose of Versailles, than Utena. But I guess they're all "classical European uniforms" in the end.

I could buy that. Tenchismile

WisperG wrote:
Ukan steps out representing... well... let's just say someone had better "Call [Her] Princess", or maybe queen. I'm looking at you, Ayeka.

I know it's probably not based on Dead or Alive, but that's the first thing I thought of when I saw her dress. There are two characters in DOA with costumes that look practically identical to Ukan's dress. I guess it's a specific type of dress, although off the top of my head I don't recall actually seeing one outside of DOA before.

I think I'll let my fanboy show a bit, and reference one of my favorite fighting games. When I saw Ukan, I was more inclined to think of Battle Arena Toshinden, which does have a two-episode OVA set between the first two games. In particular, I was thinking of Sofia and her dark counterpart Zola.

ImageImage

WisperG wrote:
Nil Admirari wrote:Image

Also, any fan of Rumiko Takahashi should instantly recognize Hana's hand gesture here. I don't know if it actually originated from Takahashi, but she uses it frequently in her manga.

I respectfully disagree. ^^v
by wwwwhhhhoooo
julia wrote:It reminded me of the diary of ~destiny~ from Mawaru Penguindrum! lol

(Also the original owner's name in MP is Momoka XD)

There just might be something there, Jules ^^

GaianKnight wrote:What I wana know now, (if this series is OVA continuity based,) is that: would Rea and Noby come and chastise Tenchi for cross dressing, or would they join in?! Could almost see such a heartwarming (or brain melting,) scene of all three together, in some fem-slash sing along, or worse: a cross dress fem slash Pretty Sammy sing along!

OMG Nobuyuki in drag!

"This is the traditional attire for...beauty pageants!"

GaianKnight wrote:Mind need a mind wipe, after that one

U got it
by GaianKnight
#25691 Too bad they don't have black suits like Ryoko was wearing, that'd make the scene more in line with AiTM:MIB, as a sequel.