All discussion about the latest iteration of the Tenchi Saga!
by Dagon123
#25869 Discussion episodes 31-35

NOTE*Do not discuss the promotional spoilery material without the use of spoiler tags as well as a forewarning on what the spoiler contains.

ALSO: Because Tenchiforum is heading to Chibi Pa this weekend, wednesday's episode is up in the air on whether or not it will come that day, thursday and friday definitely won't happen.

All backlog episodes and the supercut will go up monday and tuesday of the week after.
by Nil Admirari
#25878 Image

Episode 31 is now subtitled and available!

Episode 31:

As I mentioned last week (spoiled of course), the Onsen episode was pretty much a guarantee. Here, we see Tenchi going in way over his head. Though, I have to wonder why Momo's plan of covering Tenchi's ability to see them excused him being in the room altogether. Can't quite see how, other than, "Oh it's just Momo's goofy plan". Also couldn't help but notice how quickly they swept whatever it was the science club did to Tenchi while he was knocked out under the rug. I bet they've got some kind of system on him now so they can spy on the student council through Tenchi.

A mostly fanservice episode, one that wasn't handled as well as the Onsen episode from, say, OVA1. Take it or leave it, but Tenchi does seem to acknowledge their looking for the "Treasure" at the very end. Some serious stuff is about to get pulled together soon.
by wwwwhhhhoooo
#25880 Hehe, "in over his head" nice one Nil.

Nil Admirari wrote:Though, I have to wonder why Momo's plan of covering Tenchi's ability to see them excused him being in the room altogether. Can't quite see how, other than, "Oh it's just Momo's goofy plan".

Yeah, it was a bit odd that Momo's just "Oh hiya Tenchi-sensei!" even though she's buck naked, but as strange and cumbersome to normal literary flow as it was, it fit with Momo's personality and the fact that she is naive and dense to an almost crippling degree (sorry Momo, not trying to be mean, but honey it's true).

I got the feeling that, apart from Hana "almost" seeing Tenchi (or pretending, either for her own enjoyment, Tenchi's sake, or most likely Momo's sake, that she didn't), the dynamic of that particular scene was playing it off as the other girls genuinely didn't notice him (besides possibly when Tenchi was rendered unconscious...yet again).

Another blackout for Tenchi, and again he mysteriously emerges from the preceding ecchi situation unscathed. (Yuki, you got's sum 'splainin' to do!) Hope to have these little knots of plot tied up soon, but if not at least it looks like we're finally going to start having the overarching plot revealed to us in the near future.
by WisperG
#25881 Wow, he (seemingly) didn't get caught, but he just had to make things way harder for himself, didn't he? If he had just stayed out in the open cleaning the floor, explained that he was assigned to do it, and questioned why they showed up so early everything would've been fine. Hachiko may have jumped to conclusions, but getting caught working in the bath, as opposed to getting caught hiding in it probably wouldn't have elicited a significant reaction from the girls, especially considering that they intentionally showed up early.

But alas, you can't have logic in your harem anime comedy. Gotta put that protag in the most awkward situations possible, regardless of how easily avoidable they are. aquateencarl1

Nil Admirari wrote:As I mentioned last week (spoiled of course), the Onsen episode was pretty much a guarantee. Here, we see Tenchi going in way over his head. Though, I have to wonder why Momo's plan of covering Tenchi's ability to see them excused him being in the room altogether.

The impression I got was the other way around. Was she not simply trying to keep him from being caught by the other girls? She didn't seem too concerned about what he saw.
by Nil Admirari
#25882 Heh, that's a good point there boys. I guess I should have thought of that, but I've been so divided between all the stuff I need to get done before Florida that it just didn't occur to me. blush1
by GaianKnight
#25887 Starting to finally get interesting again. Hopefully all the obvious fan service stuff is mostly out of the way.

And does any teaching happen at the school at all? mmmm1 Feels more like the school is there to act as cover for this Treasure, everyone is after.

And I wonder if we have a 'Sakuya' situation here, where most of the students 'don't exist', or something akin to what Yugi did. I'm probably wrong there... but...
by Nil Admirari
#25892 Image

Episode 32 is now subtitled and available!

Episode 32:

Tenchi's walking the halls late at night, finding a few students breaking their bedtime curfews. The girls of the science club are up cooking ramen and invite him in for a bite to eat. While he's there, we get a few interesting pieces of the plot dropped in front of us. Firstly, Yuki isn't really sure what exactly is powering her Goriki-kun robot. Then, we've got the frequent camera pans over to the crab radio, which seems to serve no function at all other than just being there. Washu's got her eyes on that room, which is... somewhat disturbing.

The most important thing to note is the bits about Beni's past - she has no recollection of her youth, doesn't seem to have much in the way of a will of her own, and is looking for something. If we recall back to the first weeks of the show, Beni made it apparent she wasn't a member of the science club proper. She simply had an "agreement" with them. Having seen her relationship to the story itself in the feudal era, one can make plenty of easy assumptions as to what it is she's looking for deep underground. And how about that rooftop shot of Beni, throwing a callback to Ryoko's tendency to do the same thing?

As a totally unrelated aside, the scene which I used for the gif above reminded me a lot of the haunted korean webcomic (don't click unless you are willing to forgo sleep tonight) which used the same odd creaky-noise and jarring stutter technique. While likely just a general trope for Asian horror, it was the first thing that came to my mind.
by wwwwhhhhoooo
#25893 Oh no! Beni can't remember her past...I'm getting Sakuya flashbacks; but I do think Beni is "real" so not too worried there.

Yuki's lack of understanding with what was presumably her own equipment is veeeerry interesting, and leads towards the conclusion that Washu is meddling far more than has been imagined.

And what type of "treasure" does Goriki-kun sense? Beni's downed ship is a viable theory, and/or...well, notice the choice made for the ending fade-out shot: Tenchi's back pocket, and what does he keep in there???

Tenchi-ken, obviously, which makes me think the sensors can detect Jurain technology in general. The emphasis on the sword itself may also point towards Momo's own "Tenchi-ken."
by SnowQueen
#25896 I'm starting to think a few of the girl's could be carbon copies of themselves and the real versions of themselves are elsewhere. ( in another dimension )
by GaianKnight
#25899 Well this raised my piqued interest. colors2

And yeah, I seriously believe that we're dealing with Jurai akin tech. I wonder if that original crashed spaceship, we saw early on, has something to do with it.