All discussion about the latest iteration of the Tenchi Saga!
by GaianKnight
#26033 Sheesh, some teacher Tenchi is, if he can't even get the Kanji corrections right. Tenchismile

Good thing he hasn't had to do any TEACHING yet! mmhmm1 (Just sayin'.)
by susano
#26041 Kiyofacepalm1 picard1

After watching episode 39, the creators of the series should have focus a little bit more on the Feudal Japan timeline. The Feudal Japan timeline happens to take place before Yosho's arrival on Earth. By exploring the timeline a little bit more, the series would make a little more sense.

The absence of Ryo-Ohki needs to be explain. Ryo-Ohki is a very important character in Ryo-Ohki, Universe, and Tenchi in Tokyo. Episode 39 may give us a vital clue to what had happen to Ryo-Ohki. Strangely, I notice that the series is getting a little more serious. As the series reaches the end, let's hope that it reflects how the first three Tenchi series progress. As the first three come near the end, they become a little more serious..

woooo1 kain2-1
by WisperG
#26097 I'll a little behind. I just watched episodes 37-39.

At first I, and I think a few others here assumed cave-digger Mihoshi was the same Mihoshi from the Feudal Era who, like Beni and Momo, would up at Junai after getting sucked into the wormhole. But she seems to recognize them, so I guess this really is "their" Mihoshi and Washu must have sent her at some point before or after she sent the rest of the gang?

We finally know that Washu is behind the actions of the science club, which opens things up to a lot of possibilities plot-wise.

Also, I love her Eva/2001 communication monolith. That gave me a good laugh.

The reappearance of Tenchi's smartphone was a big surprise, although I do find it odd that none of the science club members seemed to recognize the crab-symbol on the start-up/loading screens, when it's plastered right on the front of their monolith. Or why they don't immediately question why this "ancient" phone belongs to Tenchi. They just make a "Tenchi is a lolicon" joke upon seeing the wallpaper, but otherwise it doesn't seem to phase them even after Tenchi brings up the beach trip himself. Rui even says "Masaki-Sensei from 1300 years ago..." as a lead-in to the joke, but does anyone stop and think "Hang on. Why does this 1300-year-old phone seemingly belong to Tenchi...?"

No, they don't. aquateencarl1

But perhaps this will be addressed in the next few episodes.

I did appreciate the subtle Ryo-Ohki reference in the password. But where is the little bugger!?

EDIT:
I've now finished the week out with Ep.40

Momo's narration had more potentially important and perhaps plot-related information that usual. A school legend about a human vs. demon war that the recent school activities are typically symbolically (but in this case, literally?) in preparation for? That can't be coincidence.

That, along with Mihoshi's earlier comments about the "creator" are two very big, suspicious question marks that will hopefully be answered soon.
by evilpii
#26166 Sorry for the delay. Work and Chibi Pa have been keeping me quite busy. blush1 Since I have not posted in this thread yet, I will discuss the entirety of Episodes 36-39 as a whole, rather than individual posts for each.

With the central plot really ratcheting up, Episode 36 was a nice moment of solidarity for the cast as a whole. Not only are the Student Council and Science Club sitting down to dinner together, but also the core members of the Masaki household are leading the cooking. Seeing all the personalities mixing and interacting in a safe setting was a good image before what happens the next two weeks. In watching anime, I find this kind of episode usually foreboding. Usually, a very happy image like this one is just like finding a room full of ammo in an FPS. The next room inevitably has a hard boss to fight. This episode of Ai Tenchi was just that. gendo1

Episode 37 follows Episode 33, showing Washu recover Tenchi from the rift and prepare to dispatch most of the Masaki household to Junai Academy in some capacity. This effectively shoots down the dark theory devised by Wwwwhhhhoooo and myself during Chibi Pa. blush1 I laughed when I saw the "universal reset button". Where have I seen that trope used before? qt1 However, note that Washu does not know why the reset failed. Again, Washu is not a god here. She is not all knowing, despite her claims to the contrary. What else could be in play? Or, more precisely, who else?

However, here's another point of fact.
Washu states that the "original girl was disseminated". Presumably, this means that like in the Time-and-Space Adventures, Momo was shattered between multiple universes, cropping back up at Junai Academy. Since Momo was a child when this happened, might this explain Momo's nearly crippling naivety and endless optimism? While her body is that of a teenager, her mind is still that of a child?

Episodes 38 and 39 begin preparing for a throwdown between the Student Council and Science Club. The series reveals that
Washu
has been behind the Science Club's actions in recovering the "treasure". Of course, I loved her use of a Seele-like monolith to communicate with Yuki and Rui. Interestingly, she comments one the "exiled one" she sent to help the two students. The camera pans over Mihoshi, still busily digging in the excavation site. Mihoshi, what did you do now? Kiyofacepalm1

Meanwhile, Beni stands off to the side, listening. Since her central goal has been the treasure all along, she chooses to get more aid, namely Tenchi and company. Swallowing her fierce pride, she humbles herself, particularly given all her recent actions. I think that is a character-building moment for her, to admit she needs her "teacher's" help.

Elsewhere, Ukan is pissed that Tenchi has joined with the Science Club, and she incites Hana and Hachiko to action. Those two drag Momo and Tori into an assault on the club's dig site. Again, at this moment, it seems that Ukan is pulling strings, which makes me wonder what her endgame here is.

Within the excavation, Tenchi and company encounter Mihoshi, who explains her involvement.
She was assigned to investigate the "creator of this world", presumably this "alternate" world as evidenced by meddling in spacetime. However, she says she just enjoys digging for treasure, and requests that no one tell what she's doing. Mihoshi, you little sneak. Kiyofacepalm1 Presumably, Washu sent her here separately from Tenchi and the others, as the "exiled one" mentioned above.

However, this begs a major question.
Why is Washu bothering with cloak-and-dagger games? Washu sent Tenchi to the feudal era to save Momo and Beni, and later sent most of the household to Junai Academy for the same purpose. If Washu also sent Mihoshi, why keep Tenchi and the others ignorant of her presence? Moreover, since Washu has been behind the Science Club's actions, why not tell Tenchi so they could join forces early on? Washu can be a little imp, but she has always had a (semi-)rational scheme for her actions. What hasn't she told us yet? butts1

Then, Yuki produces Tenchi's cell phone, lost in the feudal era. Dating puts the device at 1300 years old, meaning that this timeline is the future of the feudal era scenes, or at least a possible future from that point in time. One could go into a discussion of past and future time cones, but I'll save that for another thread. Tenchismile Naturally, the wallpaper incited several glaring looks at Tenchi. tenchiahhhhhh

GaianKnight wrote:Sheesh, some teacher Tenchi is, if he can't even get the Kanji corrections right.

I've seen many instructors with horrible spelling, even language arts teachers. Mine is decent, I think, even as a mathematician. blush1

GregTheLion wrote:First and foremost, I like Washu's little nod to Microsoft windows there.

That visual cue was very nice indeed. Tenchismile Not quite "World Standard", though. Image

susano wrote:After watching episode 39, the creators of the series should have focus a little bit more on the Feudal Japan timeline. The Feudal Japan timeline happens to take place before Yosho's arrival on Earth. By exploring the timeline a little bit more, the series would make a little more sense.

Exactly what more focus does it require? The feudal era storyline seems to have served its purpose. It explained Momo and Beni's history, how Tenchi became involved, perhaps even how the Student Council girls did as well. Moreover, it set up the "treasure" and "keys". Just about all of the necessary backstory has been given. Where does the story fail to make sense?

Moreover, how does Yosho factor into any of this? Setting the feudal storyline 1300 years prior to the present ensures that no matter which continuity Ai Tenchi represents, Yosho is irrelevant. Ai Tenchi is not Yosho's story. It is Tenchi's.

susano wrote:The absence of Ryo-Ohki needs to be explain. Ryo-Ohki is a very important character in Ryo-Ohki, Universe, and Tenchi in Tokyo. Episode 39 may give us a vital clue to what had happen to Ryo-Ohki.

While I do acknowledge that Ryo-Ohki's absence, among other characters', is unpleasant, I don't see how she is crucial to the plot here. What purpose would Ryo-Ohki serve here, beyond sitting on Sasami's shoulder or head? Ryoko and Ayeka have purpose, to search the school grounds and to confront their adversaries. Sasami has purpose, to take care of Tenchi and the other two young women. Mihoshi's purpose has now just been revealed. Washu's purpose is obvious. Including Ryo-Ohki would be nice, but shoehorning her into the series would be an insult to her character.

susano wrote:Strangely, I notice that the series is getting a little more serious. As the series reaches the end, let's hope that it reflects how the first three Tenchi series progress. As the first three come near the end, they become a little more serious..

How is this strange? Most anime series I enjoy (Tenchi Universe, Trigun, Outlaw Star, Cowboy Bebop, Evangelion, Excel Saga, etc.) grow more grave and mature-themed near the end, even if they began comedic. This usually happens as characters deepen and mature. I find it more natural than persisting in the same kind for episodes on end, never changing, never growing.
by Ukinojo92
#27084 SPOILERS for ep 39

I know this is late, but looking back on ep 39 and the phone background, is it a reference to gxp ep 14? The swimsuit that Sasami wears is almost similar to Neige's swimsuit. Although there are a lot of loli characters that wear that kind of swimsuit, but this is just my thoughts. It would be nice if it was really a reference.