All discussion about the latest iteration of the Tenchi Saga!
by Nil Admirari
#26481 NOTE*Do not discuss the promotional spoilery material without the use of spoiler tags as well as a forewarning on what the spoiler contains.

Episode 56 is now subtitled and available!

Episode 56:

Tenchi's awoken in a familiar station, but one that's different than he remembers. Not only is the world black and white with only a few shades of color, but the station's name is a play on the station's real name. As TITAN pointed out, the characters in the name signify something different than the station's real name, and the portion of the sign that shows where the train station leads to has been erased. A dark reminder to Tenchi that this is his final chance to save Momo, as there's nothing further to await her if he doesn't.

Washu taunts the Galaxy Police with an "I know something that you don't know" attitude, the world crumbling around her as she watches the fires burn. I wonder how long it's going to take before the GP give up and start asking her to clean up the mess, or if the General is going to suicidally attempt to wait her out and leave the entire universe at stake? I loved seeing Mihoshi apologize for arresting her, suddenly remembering that Washu's a part of the household.

Our last shot gives us a hint as to where the next few days are going to go. Tenchi's got quite a lot of backtracking ahead of him.
by SnowQueen
#26483 I think I can say that this episode somewhat got rid of the sour taste that Fridays episode gave me but not totally (still dislikes that episode) but this week is a fresh start to what could be a really heartfelt ending. I loved the whole scene with Momo and Tenchi and the whole atmosphere seemed so melancholic and peaceful..yet so empty. Looking forward to see what happens next between Tenchi and Momo. Seems like next up is little Momo. It seemed like today's episode she seemed younger (maybe 14 or so) I'm thinking in each rift she's going to get younger and younger until she disappears but of course that won't happen because Tenchi will save the day (I hope)
by evilpii
#26485 Tenchi still has a journey ahead of him. woooo1
Seeing him interact with different version of Momo, as well as phasing out himself, one wonders if he is time-hopping or dimension-hopping. The first Momo, the one that looked like Lain, seemed younger than the Momo we see at Junai. Then, we see her at the end as a child again, but in the modern era. However, Washu said back in Episode 3 that there were multiple dimensions with one common factor, presumably Momo. Perhaps this is a combination of both, hopping sideways and backward along Momo's thread of existence. butts1
Visually, these scenes are very contrasting, sepia against the vivid color of Tenchi and his clothes. Notably, Momo's umbrella was colored as well. What meaning is there here? Keep in mind, this has been done before in TMiL2. When Haruna's world threatened to collapse, the illusions faded to sepia before vanishing. Could this be happening again? sadface1

Nil Admirari wrote:Tenchi's awoken in a familiar station, but one that's different than he remembers. Not only is the world black and white with only a few shades of color, but the station's name is a play on the station's real name. As TITAN pointed out, the characters in the name signify something different than the station's real name, and the portion of the sign that shows where the train station leads to has been erased. A dark reminder to Tenchi that this is his final chance to save Momo, as there's nothing further to await her if he doesn't.

Nice catch on the real world reference, Hakubi line in Okayama, as well as the meaning in the name. Tenchismile Perhaps the creators are pointing at Washu to blame. blush1

Notably, Beni addressed Momo as "Momo-sama" for the first time since her last feudal era dialogue scene, Episode 33. Might her old self be arising a bit? qt1 Also, who's ready for that Ryoko/Beni team-up? ^.^v

One does wonder how long Washu will be playing this bluff game between herself and the GP commander. There is a planet, if not a universe, at stake. wth2

As for the ending of the episode, I had a thought on what it might be.
What if that building in the background was Tenchi's school from OVA series 1 episode 1? What if the series took everything back to the very beginning of everything, literally, for the Tenchi franchise? Talk about a retcon button! gendo1
Now, I find this scenario unlikely, but not impossible. Tune in tomorrow! kiyonesmile1
by WisperG
#26488 It's kinda going all... dimension-warpy like episode 6 of OVA 3 did, except much more coherent.

Lovin' the monochrome with a few touches of color in the scenes with Momo.

How did Washu get out of her restraints? She's still in the cage, but she's not all tied up anymore and no-one seems to have noticed... gendo1
by wwwwhhhhoooo
#26490 Good observations, everybody. And here, we see child Momo yet again, albeit not in the feudal era.

Rrrrriiing! Rrrriiing!

Somebody gonna' pick up the phone? Cuz uh, pii called it.
by Nil Admirari
#26491 Image

Episode 57 is now subtitled and available!

Episode 57:

Tenchi's going on a feels trip through time and space alright. Young Momo's worries about her future self are easily soothed by Tenchi's assurances, followed by a series of sad vignettes where someone is missing from the picture. One can easily assume it is Tenchi due to her attachment to him, but one could consider Beni a suitable candidate seeing as how she was a big sister to Momo as they left Jurai. Beni and Ryoko's trip down to the center of the earth gives us another look at their bonding moment, Ryoko managing to sidestep acting like she cares. Washu delivers a fantastic performance in yanking the Galaxy Police around like a toy and getting them to cave. Is it a wonder she's evaded justice for so long?

And then at last, the big bomb drops. We've finally seen what has happened to Momo's ship. It has taken root underground as a fully grown tree. What might Beni be able to do with the tree once she reaches it? Will it reveal what happened to her, similar to Funaho in the OVA? Is there some new power that awaits them, like how we've seen Tenchi's sword have new tricks in this series? We're down to the wire, 3 days left and barely 10 minutes of runtime remaining. So much can happen in so little time!
by wwwwhhhhoooo
#26493 Oh man, the look on the GP Commander's face when he made the realization they needed Washu to fix everything! Absolutely priceless.

The multiple spots in time where Momo's "left behind" or left alone seem to jive with the original premise that Momo was scattered, as it were, across dimensions and/or time itself. But who is this missing other alluded to in the latter sequence of shots next to Momo? Tenchi? Beni? Someone else?

Tenchi's role in this, possibly using Tenchi-ken in some fashion as he travels, along with Momo's tree being revealed (a source of distortion, or perhaps some kind of "anchor" for Momo herself to keep her psyche from being completely lost?), remind me of Yosho confronting Haruna (Haruna's psyche/spirit) via her tree using the sword. When Tenchi asked "what am I supposed to do?" is part of that frustration stemming from the fact that this Jurain ability or technique is something he has yet to learn or encounter? (Yosho being able to enter into Haruna's world may be due in part to his access to a greater trove of experience using his powers, being much older than Tenchi.)

And where is Ukan during these events? Watch out, she may yet make a startling appearance; more so, she just may yet turn villainous! (I don't quite trust her; if her drive to diffuse the situation and catch Washu lead her to stand up to Jurain royalty, then I doubt she would be hunky-dory with simply letting Washu free and leaving Momo, Beni, Tenchi and the space pirate Ryoko to do as they please on top of that.)
by evilpii
#26494 The FEELs are getting turned up today. dawohki1 This seems to illustrate very concretely Momo's comment in episode 36 that she was "always alone". One wonders if Tenchi's comments about her making friends influenced her to meet Hachiko, Hana, and Tori, perhaps even to become class president. woooo1

Also, I'm still on the fence as to what is happening with Tenchi and Momo. Is Tenchi visiting different incarnations of Momo across different universes, or is he hopping across her lifespan? If the latter, one would think she would have some memory of seeing him or some recognition. Notably, last episode, she did ask him if they had met before when she stumbled into his arms. I believe there are some similarities with that fall and the one Washu instigated in episode 17. I believe Washu will be sorting this out shortly with whatever she's about to do. blush1

wwwwhhhhoooo wrote:Tenchi's role in this, possibly using Tenchi-ken in some fashion as he travels, along with Momo's tree being revealed (a source of distortion, or perhaps some kind of "anchor" for Momo herself to keep her psyche from being completely lost?), remind me of Yosho confronting Haruna (Haruna's psyche/spirit) via her tree using the sword.

I'm not wholly convinced that Tenchi is controlling this. Given the peach petals every time he "leaps", I think Toshika is controlling this. Moreover, Tenchi and Momo were enveloped by Toshika's light and petals when they vanished in the first place. I bet you are right that Toshika is acting as the anchor, much like Haruna's camellia. gendo1 I bet Tenchi is trying to "put right what once went wrong", fighting his leaps, trying to get to Momo.

wwwwhhhhoooo wrote:When Tenchi asked "what am I supposed to do?" is part of that frustration stemming from the fact that this Jurain ability or technique is something he has yet to learn or encounter? (Yosho being able to enter into Haruna's world may be due in part to his access to a greater trove of experience using his powers, being much older than Tenchi.)

I wouldn't doubt this at all, particularly if this incarnation of Tenchi did not live through the events with Haruna.

Nice that Ryoko also noticed Beni using "Momo-sama" suddenly. tuxedodouche It appears that Last Crusade reference from episode 42 made a lasting impression, as well as all those memory flashes. mmhmm1

Of course, the GP have to eat some crow. Kiyofacepalm1 I find this quite ironic since the commander was so arrogant toward the Japanese ambassador in episode 51, that Terran scholars couldn't understand what was happening, until he too is put into the same position. In Washu we trust. butts1

wwwwhhhhoooo wrote:And where is Ukan during these events? Watch out, she may yet make a startling appearance; more so, she just may yet turn villainous! (I don't quite trust her; if her drive to diffuse the situation and catch Washu lead her to stand up to Jurain royalty, then I doubt she would be hunky-dory with simply letting Washu free and leaving Momo, Beni, Tenchi and the space pirate Ryoko to do as they please on top of that.)

Ukan is the wild card at the moment. We don't know what went down with her and the princesses. Moreover, given that she is GP as well as wielding an energy whip, might she be a reference to "evil Kiyone" from the Mihoshi Special ending?
Wouldn't it be a twist if she swooped in at the end and scooped up Toshika's power for herself at the last instant, stranding Tenchi and Momo?
After all, I don't think Negishi has spent this entire series building her up for no reason. gendo1
by WisperG
#26496 Washu is still up to her usual tricks. Not surprised she was able to weasel her way out police custody kiyonesmile1

That underground tree-chamber looks awfully familiar...

Ai Tenchi Muyo

Daughter of Darkness
by Nil Admirari
#26503 Image

Episode 58 is now subtitled and available!

Episode 58:

Washu's now got all the ingredients she needs to set this right - Beni, Toshika, cute cell phone minigames, and a little bit of rocket launcher space magic. Momo and Tenchi are still stuck in their own cyclical hell, a Groundhogs Day scenario they may never get out of. Ukan follows her orders instead of going completely insane, pulling out her troops and suggesting the school girls retreat as well. The rift looked just about ready to strike, but it looks like Toshika's power might be just enough to send it back where it came from. And in our final moments, it appears as though our two protagonists have found each other again. I get the feeling that Momo and Beni are going back home very soon.

Have to say, I've been loving the way that they've treated Washu's interfaces through this series. It always has some sort of digitized version of herself somewhere. I laughed aloud when I saw the hacking process upload meter being a version of lemmings, but with mini-Washus.