Reply To: Movies!

Forums Off Topic Chit Chat Movies! Reply To: Movies!

wwwwhhhhoooo
    none
    Movies thread? Well…I could talk for a spell about movies (praising or complaining, whichever direction the conversation flows) good idea chuck, and I can’t say I’m all that surprised since one of the things I’ve learned about you via this forum is your love of all things cinema, and that’s just…so cool!

I’ll just start with Makoto’s prompt: what makes me cry (in movies, to narrow it down) 😆

It’s a curious thing, because I’m never quite sure what will do it for me. Though I’m with chuck in the fact that it’s not just the “sad” things that get me, it can be the triumphant moments or the touching moments that can make me well up. Though not just any happy moment will do; I have to be invested in the characters.

But I think the most reason something will really tug on my heart strings–why any scene in any particular movie will have that effect on people–is when it transcends the diegesis of the film and hits home in a personal way.

Recent case in point: In Peter Jackson’s The Hobbitthe scene in which Gandalf tells Galadriel his reasons for choosing Bilbo–a hobbit, of all creatures–for his quest: “I don’t know. Saruman believes it is only great power that can hold evil in check, but that is not what I have found. I find it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Simple acts of kindness and love. Why Bilbo Baggins? Perhaps because I am afraid, and he gives me courage.” That line in particular is so heavy emotionally for me, because–not to go off-topic with the point of this thread, but especially evident since certain recent events transpired here in America–we live in some dark times right now. There is darkness in the world, it’s real, and it has many faces; it rears its ugly head when certain inexplicable horrors happen, and we’re left wondering ‘why?’. Against such seemingly insurmountable dread, it’s not the “big” things that keep the world spinning (so to speak) but the little things, the acts of kindness that go unnoticed that keeps evil in check. In this day and age where media is EVERYWHERE and we’re constantly assaulted with dogmatic rhetoric, and mind-numbing adverts, and hypocritical acts of fake piety, nowadays the best way to be “loud” with any kind of statement is with a soft voice of reason (speak softly, carry a big stick) rather than attempting to rant about “the end times” in NY square or condemning people for their sinfulness on the steps of the capitol (or something equally absurd).

I guess I’ll close this unplanned, unorganized rant with a strong take-home theme from The Hobbit that I’ve found significant: whether it’s dealing with everyday circumstances in The Shire, showing restraint with Gollum or going on a crazy adventure with a band of dwarves he just met, Bilbo time-and-time again does the right thing–in big and little ways–not for profit, or a “greater cause” or as dictated by any kind of religion–simply because it’s the right thing to do. I think that kind of thinking can go a long ways if we all give it a chance once in a while.

(we now return you to your regularly-scheduled thread) 😉