Reply To: Miyazaki Films

Forums Off Topic Other Anime Miyazaki Films Reply To: Miyazaki Films

wwwwhhhhoooo
    none
    I can’t help but feel a sense of melancholy knowing that one of the greats of the 20th and 21st century is retiring, but he’s certainly earned it–and for that, I’m also glad. He continues to be revered by international critics, inspiring to younger animators and directors, and emulated by national cinemas to this day, likely for another century to come.

He showed the world the true potential of 2D, traditional animation, and hopefully thanks in no small part to his efforts, it will continue to be seen as a relevant avenue to be explored and utilized in cinema around the globe. When you’re watching a Miyazaki film, you can just see his passion and dedication to his craft behind every frame. It was this dedication that lead to the fruits of his labors that we’re familiar with today, and these in turn helped to legitimize anime as a whole within the fields of international film studies.

I very much like the sentiment expressed in the article that just because he’s retired doesn’t mean he’ll quit his passion cold turkey; maybe we can look forward to a few short projects in the future.

I believe the first Miyazaki film I ever saw was Spirited Away, and boy did it blow my mind. I was hooked on Miyazaki from that moment on, and in hindsight it likely planted the seeds that would contribute to my own desire to study international cinema. Sadly I’ve not seen his latest film, The Wind Rises, but I plan to remedy that soon.