Reply To: General Discussion (previously Canon Question)

Forums Tenchi Muyo! Discussion Translation Zone General Discussion (previously Canon Question) Reply To: General Discussion (previously Canon Question)

jgzinv
    Honestly the first “filter” is going to be usable scans…

Your eyeball may be able to look at something and think it’s great, but a 3 MP camera doesn’t like it nearly as much.

I did just play around with some manga and doujin, and yes even some novel scans, and the results were mixed. I did find out that the google translate app will do vertical text (small woot) but getting a good capture for it to focus on is hard. Just about need a tripod.

Novels, I don’t even know where to start there. Nearly every line has sort of a subscript of characters, which is probably a modifier to what it’s attached to. Honestly I don’t feel we’re setup to do novels, those are massive amounts of text, surely complex word usage, and the scans are so-so. About the only benefit there is it’s all machine text.

The larger a block of text, the more a machine is going to butcher it. Shorter one-liners or sentences are far more accurate.

Chunks of manga or doujins, maybe interviews… is probably the best to hope for with what resources we have at hand now. Sure if someone can get a translation group to pick up something… more power to ya. I’ve tried here or there. The common issue I had is that it was so old… Almael would be the one to really have an inside view on this as he’s worked with baka-tsuki.