Reply To: "Star Blazers" Anyone?

Forums Off Topic Other Anime "Star Blazers" Anyone? Reply To: "Star Blazers" Anyone?

chucklocker
    Participant
    none
    While this rumor is certainly very exciting, and I personally love and support the idea of a big budget Skydance Star Blazers film, I’m taking this with a mountain of salt. Plans (and rights) for an American Star Blazers film have been flitting about Hollywood almost three decades now, and the same basic facts and obstacles have remained the same. Voyager still owns the Star Blazers name, studios are still extremely gun-shy about pulling the trigger on a big budget anime adaptation (they remember Dragon Ball, Astroboy, and Speed Racer), and the all important built-in audience is still extremely small. it’s all going to come down to how much the people at Skydance are willing to gamble on it, and how convincing a pitch they can make. The recent success of adaptations of Japanese titles like Godzilla and Edge of Tomorrow give me more hope than I’ve had in the past for such a project moving forward, but it’s still going to be a very hard sell. In the end I will remain positive and hopeful, but I’m not holding my breath.