Reply To: Toonami Tenchi in Tokyo

Forums Fan Stuff Tenchi Projects Toonami Tenchi in Tokyo Reply To: Toonami Tenchi in Tokyo

Jameron4eva

Dagon123 wrote:

Jameron4eva wrote:

Maybe that was when the switch from Pioneer to Geneon happened and they decided not to do them, or Toonami didn’t feel like it at that point, i think by the time Tokyo came to Toonami, Naruto was starting to dominate everything right? I did notice however, on the dvd’s and HD versions i have, Funi seemed to only include the Japanese intro/outro vids and break cuts. Wish we could get BOTH versions in HD. (Maybe a re-voice over for OVA 3 for Ryoko)

All three series, the OVA, Universe, and Tokyo ran on Toonami in the same year, Tokyo started airing on Toonami August 25, 2000, Naruto wasn’t on Toonami for another couple of years, so that had nothing to do with it.

Pioneer transitioning into Geneon didn’t start until 2003, well after that time.

Will we ever know exactly why they didn’t release Toonami Tokyo on VHS? Probably not, however, it more than likely was due to sales.

Another thing factoring in to sales was the fact that Pioneer had dub AND sub, uncut and uncensored VHS versions of Tokyo already in circulation, on top of the fact they were releasing DVD more regularly.

As for Funi not having English versions? It’s because they are cheapskates, they didn’t even get the dub version of episode 13.5. The Japanese Blu-ray release had dub of everything, and also included the dub for The Mihoshi Special, were it not for its price point, the Japanese release is easily the superior of the 2 releases.

Damn, i thought Tokyo was at a later date. I know that the VHS market was so confusing, dubbed vs. subbed, two episodes per tape, $25-30 dollars (U.S.) per tape?! -_-

Obviously Funi are cheapskates, as are all companies. Especially now that….SONY… owns them. *shakes*