Reply To: Tenchi Muyo: The Toonami Version

Forums Tenchi Muyo! Discussion Anime Tenchi Muyo: The Toonami Version Reply To: Tenchi Muyo: The Toonami Version

Thanks! I was able to watch his appearance. The new voice still sounds pretty wacky, but in a very different way. I don’t think any of his lines were changed though. If they were, they weren’t big changes. It was probably changed because he sounded too flamboyant, and could come across as stereotypically (sp?) gay. Robert Martin Klein did sound higher-pitched and younger than John DeMita. Ironically, neither voiced him in GXP (that was Kirk Thornton).

I also checked out episode 1 with the redubbed Kumakura (I think that’s his name. Not sure) with Michael Sorich redubbing Mark Tracy. Both voices work. His lines were probably redubbed for censorship reasons, and since his appearance was very brief, it was probably more convenient to just redo them all. I believe Sorich also voiced the character in Tenchi in Tokyo (haven’t gotten there yet, but that’s what I’ve heard).

I’m surprised they pulled in Petrea Burchard, Matt Miller, Kate Vogt, Jennifer Darling, and Sherry Lynn for redo some lines here and there. I believe Bob Pappenbrook and Rebecca Forstadt did Katsuhito/Nobuyuki and Mihoshi’s pickup lines instead of Jay Hopper and Ellen Gerstell respectively.

Now for the infamous swimsuit episode! :P

EDIT: I watched it, and I’m surprised how well the Photoshopped swimsuits looked. It seemed like it took a lot of work, and the lighting was even adjusted. Although there were a few places where Ryoko’s swimsuit looked like it really “popped”. It might’ve been the color. Don’t know why they didn’t make it a less noticeable black or something. Why purple for Ryoko and orange for Ayeka? I thought it was amusing that Ryoko was given a bikini and Ayeka a one-piece. At least the editors seemed to know the characters’ personalities! XD I’m also surprised they kept Mihoshi’s “Oh my God!” instead of redubbing it as “Oh my Gosh!” (or something else with the same meaning).