Reply To: A New Continuity

Anonymous

Ukinojo92 wrote:

What kind of format would Tenchi be coming back as? So far Tenchi has been OVA’s, novels, full length tv series, manga, movies, doujins, 5 minute episodes, and from somewhere on this site, a comic strip. Spiritual successor or reboot, which would it do good on, and how long would it have to run for in order for people to get acquainted to recognize as the current content, that would standalone in the Tenchi-verse.

If we’re asking what it would do good on, it’s done well in every format, the problem there isn’t the format but the writing.

If we’re talking about the current anime environment, it is almost certainly going to be a TV series 13 episodes at roughly 24 minutes (including OP and ED), a movie would be the next possibility. Any other format is far less common now then it’s been in the past.

Ukinojo92 wrote:

OVA’s are not the thing anymore, the 5 min eps were too small, and the novels, manga, doujins don’t get translated quickly, until fan does it. Don’t know of anyone besides Tenchi fans that would see a movie, and if it is most likely a standard tv series would it be a 26 or 13 ep length? I could see them making a 13 ep season just to dap everyone into the series, the first two OVA’s add up to 13 eps and everyone remembers those.

A standard 26 episode series would be a little daring in my opinion. True, Tenchi’s formula is throw everything in a mix an not keep still. However, I think a 13 ep would satisfy a new start and make everyone want more which would create a regulated flow of seasons.

It’ll be interesting to see how things proceed into the future, but I think Tenchi will still continue to be (and for good measure) anxious about putting time and money into “big” projects, even a 26 episode series.

Tenchi is in better shape now than it was a few years ago, but it still has a long way to go.