Reply To: Outlaw Star/Trigun/Cowboy Bebop

Forums Off Topic Other Anime Outlaw Star/Trigun/Cowboy Bebop Reply To: Outlaw Star/Trigun/Cowboy Bebop

Anonymous

mitsuki lover wrote:

It does transcend genre in a way doesn’t it?

Trigun on the other hand is an out and out Western.I mean even the name of the planet it takes place on is

named GUNSMOKE.How obvious a Western can it be when the planet it takes place on has the same name as one of the most legendary Westerns in American tv history?

Which leaves the question open as to wheter or not it may have actually been targeted to a North American as opposed to Japanese audience all along.

I mean(uses Festus’ voice)”Mr.Dillon do you think them thar Jaypanese watch are show?”

Influenced by and possibly with a Western Audience in mind? Absolutely, But targeted DIRECTLY at a North American Audience? Probably Never. The Japanese Anime market and industry is made exclusively for the Japanese in mind. Does that mean they don’t make references? No, many Manga and Anime have used or been inspired by culture in the west, I mean hell Jojo’s Bizarre Adventure is almost centered around western pop culture, but is still VERY Japanese.

Trigun, Bebop, and Outlaw Star, no matter how western they are in feel, focus, and atmosphere, are still very Japanese, and I wouldn’t want it any other way.