Reply To: WTF Did I Just Watch?! – Anime Edition

Forums Off Topic Other Anime WTF Did I Just Watch?! – Anime Edition Reply To: WTF Did I Just Watch?! – Anime Edition

chucklocker
    Participant
    none

WisperG wrote:

Nobuyuki wrote:

WisperG wrote:

That episode of OVA 3 did it to me not only because of the info-dump and crazy plot-twists, but because of that jarring and completely uncalled for time-skip between eps.5 & 6. The gang hadn’t even met Z yet at the end of ep.5, but then ep.6 starts us off right-smack in the middle of their climactic battle. I seriously thought I’d accidentally skipped over an episode the first time I watched it.

Why does almost everyone skip the scene after the ED credits? smh

At the end of which episode? If you mean ep.5 I could have sworn I went back and checked for an extra scene just in case, but I don’t recall if there actually was anything. Then again, its been almost 2 years since I’ve seen OVA 3, so I may be forgetting something.

I believe Nobuyuki is referring to THIS. Honestly, I was never too fond of the placement of this scene for the very reason demonstrated above. It’s too easy to skip over and cause massive confusion. I understand the appeal of post-credit scenes when done correctly, i.e. the various Marvel movies, but notice that those examples never contain plot advancement that is absolutely critical to know before the outset of the next installment.

Anyway, back to topic. EoE is certainly not without it’s share of mindfuckery, but I’ve always walked away from my viewings of it feeling like, at least subconsciously, I understood what was going on and its meaning. I’ve even come to the point where I even feel an unexplainable empowerment after it’s over, as opposed to the deep rage/confusion/disappointment I felt immediately after my first viewing. There is still one part, however, that never fails to leave me utterly confused and arriving at a different conclusion each time. Yes, I’m talking about the sandbox scene. Seriously, wtf… At first it seems to be a relatively shallow and obvious metaphor, but upon closer analysis it opens a pandora’s box of infinite and conflicting symbolism/metaphors that just defies all attempts at neatly labeling it.