Reply To: Discussion: Episodes 46-50

Forums Tenchi Muyo! Discussion Anime Discussion: Episodes 46-50 Reply To: Discussion: Episodes 46-50

WisperG
    I’m slightly behind again blush1

Episode 46

Unsurprisingly, Yuki has resorted to cheating and bribery.

I spy a Jojo reference, but I wonder if it was worded like that originally or if it was on the translation team’s end? gendo1

Kumo-kun appears once again! It seems Touri is also afraid of spiders, but to no-one’s surprise Hachiko is not.

I do find it strange that Tenchi and Beni were basically just standing there the whole time waiting for Momo to throw the “bomb.” Maybe Beni spilled the beans to Tenchi?

Episode 47

Yuki and Rui sure do have some amusing toys, courtesy of Washu it seems.

So the science club (?) is pulling out the big guns and is trying to create a scandal. Didn’t think they had it in them, assuming this was Yuki and Rui’s doing. Things aren’t going too well for Tenchi at the moment, especially once Ukan gets him in her clutches.

Also, Momo’s run at the end just doesn’t… look right. If you pause on a few frames you can tell they just mirrored her chest. While her chest is swinging to the left the perspective looks off.

EDIT:

It just occurred to me after seeing one of GaianKnight’s posts that this picture was from when Washu briefly showed up and shoved Momo into Tenchi before quickly disappearing WAAAYYY back during the school festival, wasn’t it?

Episode 48

Momo goes to confront Ukan, who is willing to overlook any sort of punishment if Momo wins the election. And if I understood that right, Momo is apparently looking for something too, like Beni?

I really like how many things were handled in this episode. We learn that Ukan’s insistence throughout the series that Tenchi keep physical contact with the girls to a minimum had some deeper meaning to it than simply being a running gag where Tenchi gets dragged off and “punished” repeatedly. It seems she was well aware that it would be a ripe opportunity for rumor and scandal with the elections fast approaching.

It also shows that there can be consequences for harem tropes, and it’s quite rare for a show like this to consider that angle. Most other shows would never have thrown a wrench into the works like this, opting instead to brush off an awkward moment (even a teacher x student moment) like as this as something silly, maybe have some teasing from the other characters, give the viewer a laugh, and then get right back to status-quo. They’ve averted some of the usual harem/rom-com expectations, and for that I commend them.