Reply To: Live Actions & JDorama Review & discussion

Forums Off Topic Chit Chat Live Actions & JDorama Review & discussion Reply To: Live Actions & JDorama Review & discussion

Almael
    Great Teacher Onizuka / GTO (2012)

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll2/ttvoon/th_qcs.jpg" />

Type: live action

Genre: school, society, comedy

Year: 2012-Jul-03 to 2012-Sep-11

Introduction:

The live action is a remake of GTO (1998) based on the manga of the same name by Fujisawa Tohru. The story is a sequel of Shounan Jun’ai-gumi and precedes “GTO Shonan 14 Days”.

Summary:

Same as GTO (1998) with different story details and other minor changes.

Critique:

There are some improvement as well as decline regarding the cast. The girls are all prettier and more in line with the manga. There’s only one returning actress. And due to previous fame this show has a very huge guest cast. Imho all these faces are overkill and distracting. The old GTO didn’t have any guests yet, imho, the old cast is better in terms of impression and chemistry. The cast here mostly pale in comparison.

Shirota Yu (Danma Ryuji)(e.g. from Hana-Kimi, Subete ga F ni Naru) seems to have been added as an extra since originally it’s a delinquent pair not a triplet. AKIRA (Onizuka Eikichi) is the perfect image of Onizuka from the manga. He’s intimidating, a delinquent at heart, seems careless and harsh yet does help his students in the end.

The stories and events are essentially the same but completely different in details. There are parts that are new and better as well as worse. All in all this show comes closes to the manga in terms of Onizuka’s character and atmosphere.

Having seen GTO (1998) I can’t come to like this version. I’ve struggled with rating it, weighting the good and bad, and for me the bad outweigh the good. None-the-less, in its own right it’s a solid show and probably good for anyone who hasn’t seen the original.

Verdict: 7

Cast 7

Cast performance 7