Reply To: Discussion: Episodes 51-55

Forums Tenchi Muyo! Discussion Anime Discussion: Episodes 51-55 Reply To: Discussion: Episodes 51-55

Nil Admirari
    none

GregTheLion wrote:

Also, these last weeks have sort of… crooked… my thoughts on Ukan:

From the beginning I thought she would end up becoming a Kagato-esque mastermind villain, but now I find she was a spy for the GP, but she still has tones of villainous tendencies. It’s like the writers knew we’d come to that sort of conclusion and decided to mess with our heads. I mean, I want to hate this character, like really want to, but I can’t find a good enough reason!

I think this is part of the charm of her character and the writing of the show. Honestly, there’s no real “Big Bad” type character we can pin anything on. Ukan was the closest we had to that, and many fan theories stuck with her being the eventual Kagato. We saw her scraping for Tenchi’s sword (both of them) several times, and assumed there was a villainous motive behind it. They always gave her a dramatic appearance and stark lighting to further push forward the idea that she was going to be the great evil.

But honestly, she’s just a cop doing her job. Which is to stop Washu from tearing the universe apart with her experimentation. That’s hardly blowing up priceless artifacts, buildings and planets or staging a coup of the Jurai Royal Family. Likewise, the Galaxy Police Officer we see aboard the station has many dramatic poses and is taking drastic measures, but he’s really not evil. Neither were Washu’s intentions when she started all this, it just happened to go to shit as science is known to do.

So there’s not really anyone we can pin it on, but there’s still a lot of conflict. Who are we supposed to cheer for, if at all? Though, there’s still a week and two days worth of episodes left where someone could pull a really evil move. Then we’d be talking.