Reply To: Discussion: Episodes 51-55

Forums Tenchi Muyo! Discussion Anime Discussion: Episodes 51-55 Reply To: Discussion: Episodes 51-55

wwwwhhhhoooo
    none

GregTheLion wrote:

So with all the current evidence shown, it’s safe to assume that this show either takes place in the Universe timeline or is a parallel of it. which begs the question, what ever happened to Kiyone and Ryo-ohki? Kiyofacepalm1 dawohki1

The most likely reason I could think of is that the writers never found a purpose for them in the plot and they would otherwise be a waste of budget (much like Andy’s father in the Toy Story films) which in itself makes no sense; you’d think they’d at least TRY to put Ryo-ohki in the show!

As much as I don’t want to admit it yet because I reeeeally want Kiyone and Ryo-Ohki, I think I have an explanation for the former at least. In Kiyone’s case, it’s probably not that they didn’t want to (Negishi certainly knows how to utilize her character) it’s probably that they couldn’t. From our delving into the Hasegawa novels and the circumstances of their creation (thus into the history of Tenchi itself), we confirmed something that was long postulated by a few fans: Kiyone Makibi is the brainchild of Hasegawa herself. Ai supports this because as far as we can tell, Hasegawa was not involved in its production in any capacity; nor does her name appear in the credits for, say, use of her characters (like Kajishima’s does), thus no Kiyone in Ai (I am leaning towards this is simply because, again, budget: getting Negishi back was the priority and took the most doing; though there’s no direct evidence for this, there is even less evidence to suggest that Hasegawa would not want to work with Negishi and/or allow her character to be used in a new series, but for whatever reason(s) this could indeed be the case). However, as Hasegawa was involved with Universe on some level, it makes sense that Kiyone could appear there (for those following along, this is also the precise reason why you will never see Kiyone Makibi, i.e. the original Kiyone, in any series helmed by Kajishima).

Ryo-Ohki, unfortunately, has me stumped. She’s been in every incarnation, and for that reason alone (other than we all love her!) she should at least make a brief appearance. I’ll keep holding out hope until the 26th!

At any rate, there may yet still be hope, albeit a slim one! If Ai–a mini series with a mini production budget–can garner enough interest in Tenchi again, it’ll show producers the Tenchi franchise is still viable, and could pave the way for more projects with other members of the “old guard” on the staff (meaning Hasegawa, thus Kiyone). Why not? Before May of this year, I would have thought a new Tenchi series AT ALL was merely wishful thinking.

GregTheLion wrote:

(Japan and their 3rd-world countries love freaky creatures, and would pay good money to have more of them!)

http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g463/wwwwhhhhoooo/infernocop_zpsd692e796.jpg" />