Reply To: Discussion: Episodes 51-55

Forums Tenchi Muyo! Discussion Anime Discussion: Episodes 51-55 Reply To: Discussion: Episodes 51-55

Nil Admirari
    none

wwwwhhhhoooo wrote:

As much as I don’t want to admit it yet because I reeeeally want Kiyone and Ryo-Ohki, I think I have an explanation for the former at least. In Kiyone’s case, it’s probably not that they didn’t want to (Negishi certainly knows how to utilize her character) it’s probably that they couldn’t. From our delving into the Hasegawa novels and the circumstances of their creation (thus into the history of Tenchi itself), we confirmed something that was long postulated by a few fans: Kiyone Makibi is the brainchild of Hasegawa herself. Ai supports this because as far as we can tell, Hasegawa was not involved in its production in any capacity; nor does her name appear in the credits for, say, use of her characters (like Kajishima’s does), thus no Kiyone in Ai. However, as Hasegawa was involved with Universe on some level, it makes sense that Kiyone could appear there (for those following along, this is also the precise reason why you will never see Kiyone Makibi, i.e. the original Kiyone, in any series helmed by Kajishima).

While an interesting theory, Hasegawa was not involved in Shin Tenchi Muyo!/Tenchi in Tokyo to any degree and her name does not appear in the credits there either. Yet we still got here there. kiyonesmile1 <-- see? She’s also not directly credited in Universe for anything but the script of the ghost ship episode, as well as neither of the two movies.