Reply To: Discussion: Episodes 51-55

Forums Tenchi Muyo! Discussion Anime Discussion: Episodes 51-55 Reply To: Discussion: Episodes 51-55

WisperG
    Wow, things really ramped up in 52 and 53. The GP set their plan into motion. Washu made her first non-flashback/cameo appearance. The Science Club gets to kick some butt. Not to mention tons of nods to Universe.

Although I did find it odd that when they knocked out that soldier so they could go after the missing girls no one else seemed to react in any way even though there were plenty of people around, until that other soldier eventually decided to aim his gun at them.

Here’s my 2 cents on the missing Kiyone/Ryo-Ohki debate:

I’m seeing a lot of assumptions on why Kajishima and Hasegawa might be the reasons for Ryo-Ohki and Kiyone’s absence, but that’s not typically how these kinds of rights usually work.

AIC is the rights holder to Tenchi, not any specific person. That should include all characters tied to the franchise as well. They respect and acknowledge Kajishima as the original creator, which I assume is why they pretty much let him do whatever he wants with “his continuity.” But they can also do whatever they want with their own IP, as we know based on all of the non-Kajishima-involved Tenchi ventures they’ve done.

I really doubt Hasegawa has any creative control over how characters she created for a non-original work are used by the IP holder of said work. At the end of the day, Kiyone is still a “Tenchi character.” Perhaps, because she wasn’t involved with ATM, they chose not to use Kiyone as a courtesy of some sort. But I have a hard time believing there was anything preventing them from doing so if they wanted to. I would assume they simply didn’t want any extraneous characters, so even though it would’ve been nice to see Kiyo and Ohki, they didn’t need to be there… so they weren’t. For a series with barely a 5-minute runtime, the cast is already crowded as it is.

wwwwhhhhoooo wrote:

However, as Hasegawa was involved with Universe on some level, it makes sense that Kiyone could appear there (for those following along, this is also the precise reason whyyou will never see Kiyone Makibi, i.e. the original Kiyone, in any series helmed by Kajishima).

*cough*Dual*cough*