Reply To: Discussion: Episodes 51-55

Forums Tenchi Muyo! Discussion Anime Discussion: Episodes 51-55 Reply To: Discussion: Episodes 51-55

Nil Admirari
    none

Beagle-san wrote:

Nobuyuki wrote:

Hi, Beagle-san!

Hiya back at ya!

I really do wonder why they picked this format. As to how the gals are making out…I was hoping this was a project largely independent of the existing continuities, given that for the most part Aeka, Sasami & Ryoko could’ve easily fit into either the OVA or the Universe continuities. Washu and Miho, however, blew it, being all too much their Universe versions.

Even with their Universe versions, however, I have problems with the notion that Aeka and Sasami would be that easily neutralized by the GP. 5 episodes left to see where it goes.

The format seemed to stem from the show starting life as an advertising series for the city of Takahashi in Okayama Prefecture. Though, one could certainly wonder why the recap episodes were included in lieu of just providing all 50 episodes as a straight shot. It’s still considered an “advertising” show, even though it’s really not been about the town proper since the first few weeks in.

That being said, there’s been quite a bit of stuff pulled from both the OVA and Universe, as well as a few nods to Tokyo. While Washu’s mad-scientist persona certainly calls to mind her Universe counterpart, I feel as though the phrase “Celebration of the franchise”, which was used by the director Hiroshi Negishi as well as some of the ad copy, perfectly describes it. In that way, I see it like Tokyo. It assumes the viewer knows things about the girls already from the other shows and could bounce off of such things, but is its own timeline entirely.

Also, Welcome to TenchiForum! Though I see you’ve been registered a bit, I’m glad you’ve decided to post and throw in some thoughts on Ai.