Reply To: Discussion: Episodes 51-55

Forums Tenchi Muyo! Discussion Anime Discussion: Episodes 51-55 Reply To: Discussion: Episodes 51-55

evilpii
    Participant
    none
    Today’s episode was full of action and betrayal! wth2

Just when the GP SWAT thinks this is a stand up fight, they find out… it’s a bug hunt. gendo1 I loved the entire scene with the Washu puppets. Talk about nightmare fuel! woooo1 Ukan seems to handle them well, and seems to be a dual-wielder as well. iloveit1

Washu, however, owns the GP. Just like Universe episode 25 and Pretty Sammy OVA episode 2, she infects the GP systems and gains control of the d.o. bullet. Goriki-kun is still in the fight! fyeah1

But then, the betrayal! Mihoshi cuffs Washu! wth2 Has anyone screwed Washu this bad? Mihoshi, why? sadface1

Momo’s apprehension about the pink sword key was interesting, and I am very curious where it will go. Will she revert to her child self, or become aware of her Juraian nature? Today did confirm that the key can indeed be used as a sword, just like Tenchi’s. When they had their blades out, I assume they were trying to contact the tree below. If so, they might have succeeded. WANT1

As a point of fact, Tenchi has stepped into a mentor role, a teacher, showing Momo how to use her key. I wonder if this might persist to the end of the series, or perhaps beyond? tuxedodouche

Also, what was the “sphere” in the tips of Tenchi and Momo’s blades? I don’t think that’s been there before this episode, and the angles of this episode certainly seemed to focus on them.

While Beni punching Ryoko caught several people’s eyes, it is interesting that Beni did that in the first place. Beni has become suddenly protective of Momo. Apparently, the flashbacks and Momo’s charisma might have won over the belligerent student. blush1

Notably, the pillar of light turns blue where Beni punches it. Is that because of Beni somehow, or some other reason? qt1

Now, the cliffhangers really start! (I’m fired, right? blush1 ) What happened to Momo and Tenchi? Where are Ayeka and Sasami? Why did the d.o. bullet split the Earth, or is it really the cause? gendo1 What about Goriki-kun and Kumo-kun?

Ryoko and Beni, you are our last hope. butts1

Beagle-san wrote:

As to how the gals are making out…I was hoping this was a project largely independent of the existing continuities, given that for the most part Aeka, Sasami & Ryoko could’ve easily fit into either the OVA or the Universe continuities. Washu and Miho, however, blew it, being all too much their Universe versions.

Even with their Universe versions, however, I have problems with the notion that Aeka and Sasami would be that easily neutralized by the GP. 5 episodes left to see where it goes.

Nil Admirari wrote:

That being said, there’s been quite a bit of stuff pulled from both the OVA and Universe, as well as a few nods to Tokyo. While Washu’s mad-scientist persona certainly calls to mind her Universe counterpart, I feel as though the phrase “Celebration of the franchise”, which was used by the director Hiroshi Negishi as well as some of the ad copy, perfectly describes it. In that way, I see it like Tokyo. It assumes the viewer knows things about the girls already from the other shows and could bounce off of such things, but is its own timeline entirely.

Until proven otherwise, I am agreeing with Nil that Ai Tenchi is a separate entity from the OVA, Universe, and Tokyo continuities. As an admitted “celebration of the franchise”, it has borrowed liberally from each of these at some point. While lots of visual cues have been lifted from Universe, the OVA has been used rather extensively as well. Most notably, Washu’s surname is the same as used in OVA 2 Episode 6.

http://i1345.photobucket.com/albums/p661/evilpii/Forum/vlcsnap-2014-07-12-22h51m50s174_zps571164af.png" />

As shown in Nil’s screen cap from Ai Tenchi episode 54, Ayeka and Sasami are wearing their costumes from the same OVA episode. More importantly for the plot, Ai Tenchi is the first time since OVA series 1 that the keys have been used to communicate with or control a Juraian ship. While Mihoshi might be playing the airheaded blonde, she has arguably more sneaky than any other incarnation since her OVA series 1 incarnation. Even the promotional and background information on the official Ai Tenchi website, most of the cast have backgrounds very close to their OVA incarnations.

After chatting with Nil tonight, I’d say Goriki-kun himself could be a nod to Ryo-Ohki’s mech form in Tokyo. kiyonesmile1

Notice that this series is set about five years after the Masaki household as we know it was established. Moreover, the feudal era segments were set about 500 years before any incarnation of Yosho set foot in Japan. I do not believe this was coincidence. This allows the lore of Tenchi to be used without tying the series down to specific dates or events, much like Tokyo. We all know who Tenchi and the rest are. Now, let’s have our adventure at Junai Academy.

Again, this series does seem to be an independent continuity. One doesn’t need to know about Tokimi, Clay, Nagi, Ken-Ohki, Sakuya, or Yugi to follow this series. It does draw heavily from each continuity to create its web of characters. I am sorry you have not enjoyed this incarnation of Washu and Mihoshi.