Reply To: The Genius Scientist and the God of Evil: Universe/DC Comics

Forums Fan Stuff Fanfiction The Genius Scientist and the God of Evil: Universe/DC Comics Reply To: The Genius Scientist and the God of Evil: Universe/DC Comics

drillmaster
    *We are getting to the end of the Final Crisis portion of this fanfiction!*

Ch. 7: No Need for Antonyms

Washu held her breath. The moment seemed like it would never end. For the first time in what seemed to be eons, Washu began to doubt her own scientific ability. This realm of gods was not something that Washu was used to. She was no goddess; she was merely a scientist (a damn good scientist, but a scientist nevertheless.) If she failed, the kind soul that was Barbara Gordon would be lost forever.

Lost to Darkseid.

Finally, a blue glow appeared from under the Justifer helmet. The formerly lifeless arms of Barbara Gordon started to move. She ripped off the helmet and threw it to the ground. Behind her glasses, Barbara gave a determined look to her genius companion.

“Consider the ‘Life Symbol’ proven Hakubi. Hypothesis confirmed,” Barbara said confidently, the blue glow of the symbol fading.

“I…I can’t believe it! We have a God Weapon in our possession! How does it counteract the Anti-Life Equation? How does the brain know that the skin has the markings on it? This raises so many questions!” Washu started to prattle off.

“We can discuss logistics later. Right now, we need to put this on everyone’s faces. I managed to listen to the full Anti-Life Equation without being affected. We need to counter each step of mathematical formula to create the full ‘Life Equation.’ When we do that, I think we will be safe to transmit it on the same frequency as the Anti-Life Equation.” Barbara told her. Washu nodded her head and collected Ryo-Ohki, who was “meowing” at the pair.

*TGSTGE*

“So by wearing this ‘New God Life Pattern’ we will be safe from Darkesid’s plans? I still can’t wrap my brain around that,” Kiyone admitted while examining Ryo-Ohki.

“Well stop thinking about it because the proof is in your hands! It worked for Ryo-Ohki and it worked for Barbara. As a scientist, I’m convinced. There is a lot we still do not understand (and honestly, without a New God I’m not sure we will), but what we DO know is the actual Equation itself! Before I bring it it, please apply the Symbol to your head thank you!” Washu said curtly.

Damian gagged a bit. “I feel like a buffoon!”

“That’s because you are a buffoon,” Washu muttered.

“What was that you cow?”

The scientist whistles innocently. “I didn’t say nuttin! Barbara, are you ready to show us the formula?”

Barbara grabbed a piece of chalk from a chalkboard Washu willed into existence. She began to write a rather lengthy mathematical proof. Finally the board was filled with the following phrases:

“loneliness + alienation + fear + despair + self-worth ÷ mockery ÷ condemnation ÷ misunderstanding × guilt × shame × failure × judgment n=y where y=hope and n=folly, love=lies, life=death, self=dark side”

The group stared at the words and processed what they meant. After a lengthy period of time, Alfred was the first to regain his voice.

“If I am to understand this correctly, the first portion of the Equation is meant to bring emotional turmoil to the reader while the second half proves the futility of resisting Darkseid himself. Interesting…this raises the question that if this was the natural state of the Equation, was it brought into existence by Darkseid living or did the Equation sure Darkseid to be its prophet?”

“Fascinating notion Pennyworth. The alternative is that the Equation was manipulated by Darkeid when he finally obtained it,” Washu posited.

“Am I supposed to understand any of this?” Mihoshi asked innocently.

“No, I don’t think you are Mihoshi,” Kiyone sighed. “Don’t feel too bad. I only barely get what they are talking about.”

“Long story short, we need to either paint every person’s face with the New God symbol or we need to break this down and create an alternative Equation to restore the planet’s free will. Any ideas?” Washu asked.

“Well,” Kiyone said, thinking about it. “We are trying to do opposites, aren’t we? The first part would be love plus friends plus bravery plus happiness plus self worth right?”

Barbara nodded. “That sounds about right. Anyone else have any ideas?”

“Oh! The opposite of mocking is complimenting! And freedom comes after that!” Mihoshi chimed in.

“Following that train of thought, the next steps would be understanding, innocence, pride, success, and acceptance,” Alfred thought intently. “This is all starting to come together to make sense!”

The genius scientist continued to scribble everything down as fast as she could. “Don’t stop guys, you are doing great!”

“That leaves the equalities then,” Barbara said simply. “Hope would then equal wisdom…”

“And love would equal truth…” Washu added. “…While life would have to be paired with birth!”

“So self would equal free will!” The two ladies spoke aloud at the same time.

“Why not ‘light side?'” Mihoshi asked. “Wouldn’t that make more sense?”

“Because free will is the whole point of a Life Equation,” Barbara explained. “Darkseid’s will was the purpose of the Anti-Life Equation. It stands to reason that it would mean just that.”

Damian, who had been silent up until this moment, just groaned. “Now that you have finished your antonym game, can we address the bigger question?”

“And what, pray tell, would that be?” Washu asked.

“How are you going to get this silly Equation broadcasted? Our Batcomputer was over a secure channel and you claimed you contacted Checkmate through that Undernet that Kuttler developed. That won’t reach every person on the planet. Did any of you even consider that?”

Blinking, the occupants of the room looked at each other. It was apparent that this part of the plan was not fully thought all the way through. Realization dawned upon each of them. In order to save the world, one of them would have to take the journey into hell and face the source of the red sky crisis. Someone would have to go to Bludhaven, where the Anti-Life Equation was transmitted from and where, no doubt, Darkseid was waiting. Finally, it was Washu that spoke.

“Shit.”