Reply To: The Genius Scientist and the God of Evil: Universe/DC Comics

Forums Fan Stuff Fanfiction The Genius Scientist and the God of Evil: Universe/DC Comics Reply To: The Genius Scientist and the God of Evil: Universe/DC Comics

drillmaster
    Ch 10: No Need for Reunions

Six months after the “Final Crisis of Mankind,” Gotham City had found itself a new protector in the cape and cowl. Dick Grayson had, as expected, taken up his mentor’s mantle as the Batman. By his side was another familiar face: Damian Wayne, who had achieved his dream of being Robin, the Boy Wonder. For a gleaming moment, it seemed that the status quo would return to the wayward city.

However, fate has a way to make life in Gotham City unexpected.

In the short time between Bruce’s death and Dick’s first night, several of the usual members of their Rouges Gallery had either left the city, joined a protective racket with a new Black Mask, or even taken up the right side of the law. Of course, the face that Dick feared the most, the Joker, had been missing for months.

It was the new faces that had Dick worried.

Almost immediately, Damian and Dick found themselves wrapped up in a mystery, a mysterious Domino Killer, and a new breed of super villain in the form of Lazlo Valentin. Valentin was a former circus performer who reinvented himself into a killer known as Professor Pyg. Though he seemed crazy, the court deemed him safe enough to go to Blackgate Prison, no doubt due to the destruction of Arkham Asylum. Pyg was only the beginning of a series of seemingly interconnected murders and crimes that culminated with Damian becoming paralyzed from the waist down.

This is where we rejoin our heroes.

“Alfred, I’m not about to send Damian back to his mother!” Dick angrily told the butler.

“Master Dick, may I remind you that we have reached out to Dr. Mid-Night and he could do nothing. We have no other choice! We cannot let Master Damian stay paralyzed! His mother is our last hope and she will not be kept waiting. I’m just amazed her paramedics have not come knocking on our door yet. You already said it was quite hard not to have them take him to her right off the bat.”

Dick punched a wall of the Wayne Penthouse. As the Manor had not been fully cleared of booby traps left by El Sombrero, the trio of men decided to call one of Bruce’s old penthouses their home. Thankfully, said penthouse also included a Bat-Bunker of its own: perfect for any Dynamic Duo.

“Call me crazy, but I just don’t trust Talia to just heal her son using harvested organs. I don’t think she is happy how I am ‘corrupting’ her son and she will no doubt try something to get ‘revenge’ on us.”

“Don’t I have a say in this Grayson?” Damian finally interjected from a nearby bed. His paralyzed form laid still, waiting to see what would happen. “Mother harvested those organs specifically to deal with cases like this. Spit it out, this has less to do with me and everything to do about Todd.”

Dick spun around. “I don’t know what you are talking about Damian.”

“*tt* You know damn well what I’m referring to. You want to resurrect Father with that Lazarus Pit in England. It’s a stupid idea and you’re an idiot for giving it thought. This is why you need to get me back in action; you’d never get by without me,” Damian weakly told him, his smugness shining though.

Alfred looked at both of his charges and sat down. “Did you reach out for Miss Gordon? She might be able to find someone who we have overlooked?”

He shook his head and sighed, clearly bothered by Damian’s words. “Babs and I are still not talking. I don’t approve of her bringing the Brown girl back into this lifestyle. If she wants to let her be Batgirl, that is on her but I will not be a part of it.”

“‘Don’t approve?’ Hmm…perhaps that might be our answer Master Dick.”

Dick raised an eyebrow. “I don’t follow.”

“Well can you not think of a person who Miss Gordon would disapprove of who has unlimited access to scientific resources, including, no doubt, the material necessary to heal our boy here?”

“No…no, I will not allow it!” Damian protested as he tried to move any part of his body. “I do not want that harlot coming anywhere near me!”

“‘Harlot?’ You don’t mean…?”

“I do. Shall we prepare the supersonic Bat-Plane?” Alfred asked.

“Isn’t it a bit rude to come over unannounced?” Dick questioned. “That isn’t in your character Alfred.”

The gentlemen chuckled. “That would be the case, but we have an hour flight ahead of us. That gives us more than enough time to make sure she is available, or alternatively to bring Damian to his mother.”

“…nice thinking Alfred! What would we do without you?” Dick asked grinning.

“Kill me now Grayson,” Damian moaned.

*TGSTGE*

The Bat-Plane flew across the familiar house and shrine in the heart of the Okayama woods. It was small enough that it could land safely right beside the giant lake that the house was built by. Dick, still in costume, could see a lone figure standing by the water. Her pink hair made her unmistakable.

“Miss Washu is very prompt indeed,” Alfred said to himself.

“Hear that Dami?” Grayson told his ward. “She’s rolling out the red carpet for you.”

“I’m thrilled,” Damian groaned.

The plane set down and the cockpit door opened. The three men found themselves face to face with the mad scientist who had helped save the planet and earned the ire of Barbara Gordon.

“Miss Washu, may I say thank you for seeing us on such short notice.”

The genius scientist bowed in respect. “No problem. You made the right call. As the greatest scientific mind in the galaxy, this kind of a project will be a piece of cake.”

“I’m not a damn project Hakubi!” Damian snarled.

Washu peered in to get a better glimpse of the boy. “Hello to you too sunshine. Listen, I’m taking Funshine Bear here into my lab. You two make yourselves at home. I need to be undisturbed. Dick, help me bring him down will you?”

The two brought Damian down on a stretcher that Washu materialized. “Atta boy.”

“So where are Kiyone and the others?” Dick asked, looking around.

“I dunno, something about going to get supplies. I don’t know, I keep to myself a lot. Now you stay put; come along Boy Wonder!” Washu laughed maniacally.

*TGSTGE*

“Sasami, are you sure you don’t need help carrying those bags into the house?” Ayeka called out to her sister.

“I’ve got it okay Ayeka! I’m so excited to try this recipe that I’ve got extra strength!” Sasami laughed without care. “Wednesday’s are the best day to cook since we are all together!”

“Joy,” Ryoko groaned. “The one day of the week that Mihoshi and Kiyone come and eat all of my food. At least those two knights aren’t around or I’d never eat anything.”

“‘Your’ food?! That food happens to be made by Sasami! I don’t seem to recall you setting foot in the kitchen!”

“Hey, I’d cook for my Tenchi every day, but you all banned me from cooking, remember?!”

“Oh, silly me. I forgot. I’m so used to eating EDIBLE food that I…what is that thing?” Ayeka stopped and asked.

The trio of girls, and a cabbit, had finally returned to the family house and were met by the startling sight of a black vehicle. Ryoko circles around it, trying to activate any kind of defense system.

“I thinks it’s one of those flying things…a plane! Yeah, but it’s armed!” Ryoko announced, causing Ayeka to adopt a battle stance. “Hold your horses princess; I don’t think it is set to attack us. It’s not automated…yet.”

“Could it be an invention of Washu’s?” Sasami asked curiously.

“Well that would make sense…we’ve better check the house to make sure she hasn’t killed anyone or something,” Ayeka sighed.

Ayeka opened the door and was face to face with a man in a bat costume sitting on the couch. She immediately screamed. “AZAKA! KAMIDAKE!”

Two giant logs appeared out of thin air. One had blue Japanese characters on it, the other red. The cloaked character got up and started to speak before he was trapped in a force field. “We have him ma’am!” the log named Azaka, after the Knight of Jurai, told her.

“Interesting. I never met these two before,” the man spoke from inside the field. He touched the wall and was instantly shocked. “Electrical shocks. So this is what the Planet Jurai uses for defense.”

“How do you know about Jurai you criminal!” she bellowed.

Sasami looked at the masked figure and then at his chest. Suddenly, recognition filled her eyes. “Oh no! Azaka! Kamidake! Let him go! That’s Batman!”

Ayeka turned around sharply. “What? The American superhero? But I thought he died!”

“Bruce might have died…but I didn’t Ayeka!” Batman responded.

“My word! Guardians, release him! Do as Sasami says!”

“Yes ma’am!” both Guardians said at the same time. With that, Batman was set free. He knocked on the wood and smiled.

“Nice job you two. Never met you the last time I was here, but you can do a good job protecting these guys.”

“Thank you sir!” Azaka told him.

“Cut the crap Grayson. We know it’s you under there,” Ryoko grinned.

“You knew before they did?” Dick said, removing his mask.

She nodded. “You can change outfits pretty boy, but you still have the same stance.”

“Huh,” Dick grinned, clearly impressed. “Hear that Alfred? She met me once six months ago and she knew my stance. Go figure.”

“Alfred?” Sasami asked looking around. “I don’t see Mr. Pennyworth…”

“I’m in the kitchen Miss Sasami,” the elderly British man said, entering the kitchen smiling. “I hope you don’t mind me using your kitchen, but I was hoping for some herbal tea. I also heard Ryo-Ohki here so I brought her a carrot!”

“MEOW!” Ryo-Ohki wept for joy.

“You came all the way to Japan for some of Sasami’s tea?” Ryoko asked. “And in costume no less!”

The butler of the Batman looked confused. “Did Washu not let you know that we were coming? I do apologize for our rudeness, don’t we Master Dick?”

“What? Oh yes, we do,” Dick said bowing down. “Please excuse the costume, if someone were to see someone other than Batman flying the plane, it would raise questions.”

“But having an English butler wouldn’t?” Ryoko continued to pry. “This has ‘last minute plan’ written all over it. Why do you need that damn scientist’s help?”

“Master Damian had an…accident involving a criminal called the Flamingo. He is paralyzed and Miss Hakubi offered to look at him before we resorted to other methods.”

“Other methods?” Ayeka asked. “I’m sorry, but I don’t quite follow.”

“Alfred is dancing around the fact that his mother runs a criminal empire and happens to hate me for ‘bringing Damian out of the dark’ or something like that,” Dick dryly laughed to himself. “I swear, I don’t know how Bruce did it.”

“With his…” Ryoko started before she got hit by Ayeka. “I’m joking Princess! Cut me some slack!”

As the two women bickered, Sasami, Dick, and Alfred sat down for tea. “How long has Damian been in there?” Sasami asked gently.

“About two hours. We have until the end of the night before the League of Assassins comes looking for him,” Dick explained. “The last thing I need is Talia entering the equation. We’ve had enough issues going on.”

“Like what?”

“A scary guy with a pig mask, the return of Jason Todd…”

“Oh!” Sasami said. “He was the second Robin right?”

“Right in one,” Dick nodded. “There’s also that Flamingo guy and a Domino Killer.”

“There is also the little issue of Master Bruce’s corpse,” Alfred reminded him. The comment caused Dick looked away in shame and anger.

“Was it stolen? That means that Mr. Wayne can’t rest in peace!”

“No, child,” Alfred waved her concerns away. “In their confrontation, Master Jason brought up the fact that we could resurrect Master Bruce using a Lazarus Pit. Master Dick wished to do it, Master Damian is against it, and I am not sure what to believe.”

Sasami shuffled around in her seat. “I don’t know if that is a good idea. It’s been months, right? Couldn’t something bad happen if you brought him back?”

“That’s been the debate,” Dick admitted.

“Debate eh? Tell me more about these Lazarus Pits,” a familiar voice requested.

Everybody looked to see Washu in a nurse’s outfit on wiping blood off of her hands. Dick and Alfred stood up. “How…?”

“The kid is fine,” she smiled. “I repaired his spine and made sure there would be no lasting damages. He’s knocked out, so give him the night and he’ll be okay.”

“Astounding Miss Washu!” Alfred told her. “You truly are a genius!”

“THE genius, Mr. Pennyworth!” Washu laughed. “Since we have some time before the Boy Wonder wakes up, tell me about Lazarus Pits.”

*TGSTGE*

Later that night, the Masaki household sat down for dinner with two extra places set. Dick, who was wearing civilian clothes at this point, and Alfred were invited to one of Sasami’s famous meals. While the food was delicious as usual, it was the discussion that was the most notable.

“I’ve given it thought and I think I’d like to examine the corpse!” Washu announced.

Kiyone and Ayeka both choked on their food for a a moment. “Miss Washu, that is incredibly disrespectful!”

“You all heard their explanation about the Lazarus Pits and the concern about resurrecting the original Batman. If the concern is body decay, I might be able to test that before Mr. Grayson does something he will regret,” she explained. “That is my question to you both: may I come to Gotham City with you tomorrow when Damian is back on his feet?”

Dick and Alfred looked to each other. Dick shrugged and said “Well, I don’t see the harm in it. It’s better to know what can be done before we decide what should be done.”

“Can I come too?” Sasami asked earnestly. “I’ve never been to America! I’d love to see the sights!”

“But if you go, who will cook for us?!” Noboyuki cried. “I can’t go back to take out and steamed rice!”

“Why don’t we all go? Let’s make a vacation out of it!” Mihoshi pleaded.

“Hey,” Dick said. “I didn’t say…”

The elder Masaki shook his head. “I’m afraid I have to put my foot down on that one. Tenchi has school and his training. It was hard enough to get him to reenroll after the Kagato incident, but I don’t think we can manage another excuse.”

“But Grandpa!”

Ryoko laughed. “It’s okay Tenchi. I’ll stay and keep you company while Ayeka takes Sasami to America.”

“YOU WILL DO NO SUCH THING SPACE PIRATE!” Ayeka yelled, getting in her face. “If you think I will leave you alone with Lord Tenchi you have another thing coming!”

“We can watch Sasami!” Mihoshi offered. “Come on Kiyone, it will be fun!”

“Mihoshi, we have jobs and rent…”

“Actually,” Dick interjected after eating another rice cake. “After thinking about it, I could use your help Kiyone.”

“What?” asked a clearly off-guard Kiyone. “I don’t understand.”

“I don’t have the kind of pull at Blackgate Penitentiary that we did at Arkham. There is a prisoner there who we would love to question, but I can’t get to him. Would you be interested in an interrogation?”

She thought about it. “What about our jobs? We need to pay our rent and…”

“The funny thing about entering Bruce’s life,” Dick smiled. “Is having access to his funds. I’ve got you covered with rent money and I’ll see what I can do about your job. This guy is almost as bad as the Joker and might be even crazier.”

“Whose the perp?” Kiyone asked.

“Professor Pyg, a low rent circus performer who created an identity destroy drug that comes in the form of a virus. I just can’t read this guy and the Bat-Computer is still analyzing his toxin.”

“A professor, eh?” Washu smiled. “This sounds right up my alley. I’m in too. I will help you break him.”

“Now hold on!” Kiyone argued. “He’s a prisoner! He has rights!”

“I thought Batman operates outside the law,” she countered. “As long as nobody is killed, right Batsy?”

“Is this typical dinner conversation here Mr. Masaki?” Alfred asked Tenchi as the rest of the table got into the semantics of Batman and the protocol for the “vacation.” The lad nodded and laughed to himself.

“Actually, this seems a bit saner than usual.”

“Ah,” Alfred said, sipping deep into his cup. “This really is good tea.”