Reply To: The Genius Scientist and the God of Evil: Universe/DC Comics

Forums Fan Stuff Fanfiction The Genius Scientist and the God of Evil: Universe/DC Comics Reply To: The Genius Scientist and the God of Evil: Universe/DC Comics

drillmaster
    Ch. 12: No Need for Tomorrow

The sun around Gotham City was shining off of the Wayne limosine. Inside the elongated car were three people: the enthusiastic Mihoshi, the young and impressionable Sasami, and the humble Alfred. Tagging along for the ride was the group pet Ryo-Ohki. Alfred had decided to take the girls on a nice tour of the city to get them out of the manor while the others were out. They had just finished watching a rerun of Fantasia playing at a movie house and had retuned to continue their day.

“Are all American movies like that? It was so…expressive!” Sasami asked enthusiastically.

“I must have a word with your sister Miss Sasami,” Alfred shook his head. “To think a child such as you have been deprived of such American cinema for so long.”

“But Mr. Pennyworth, Ayeka and Ryoko typically watch the television that would get those channels! I have my small television so I can watch my cooking shows in the kitchen.”

“That is just more of a reason to speak my mind to those young ladies. Though your work habits are to be commended, you really should enjoy some of the entertainment Earth can provide for you.”

“Did Bruce like movies very much Alfred?” Mihoshi asked.

Alfred fell quiet for a moment. “Movies were one of the few escapes Master Bruce allowed himself. Oh, he was quite fond of films and shows like The Grey Ghost and Magnificent Seven. However, he would keep The Mark of Zorro close to his heart. I’m not sure if it was for the right reasons or the wrong reasons, but there is no doubt that Zorro will forever be linked to his life.”

“What is ‘Zorro’ Mister Pennyworth?” Sasami asked innocently. “Is that an animal?”

There was a pause while Alfred stopped to think of an answer. “He was a hero, Miss Sasami.”

“Let’s watch Zorro then!” Mihoshi suggested. “Is it playing in one of those things you took us to…a theater?”

“I was actually going to take you to the Gotham Theater to watch a play. You don’t want to waste away in front of the television, you know. The Gotham Players are putting on a production of Annie which I think you both would enjoy. An old friend, Leslie Thompkins, is volunteering her time there to let some of her charges experience the stage at least once in their life. But yes, Miss Mihoshi, we can indeed view The Mark of Zorro before you leave,” Alfred decided. “But since we have some time, I think we can enjoy some art. The Flugelheim Museum is not too far from here. I hope you both are up for an exciting day.”

“Are we ever? Do you think we can bring back souvenirs for Tenchi and Ayeka and Ryoko?” Sasami asked sweetly. “I want them to have a piece of America since they couldn’t come!”

With a light chuckle, Alfred responded “Of course we can.”

*TGSTGE*

The Batmobile set down on a docking pad in the Bat-Bunker. Washu and Kiyone hopped out and started to look around the area. It was a lot more sleek and modern than the Bat-Cave, but it still kept the motif going. There were barely any trophies or displays out here; only a giant computer. Washu assumed that is was connected to the same system as the Bat-Computer in the cave.

“Nice place you have here sport,” she said with a whistle. “Though I do miss the giant mechanical dinosaur.”

“I do too. Rex was always my favorite display,” Dick agreed, taking off his cowl. “Do you really think your data can shed some light on this whole case?”

Washu sat down at the computer and cracked her knuckles. “I can’t say Batsy. That Pyg fellow seemed to have one crazy, messed up mind. I have no idea what kind of damage it suffered in whatever turned him from a circus performer to…well that!”

“Don’t call him Batsy,” Damian growled. “That’s what HE called father.”

Kiyone looked confused. “Who are you talking about Damian?”

“The clown. I’ve never met him, but when I do, I’ll beat that smile right off his face.”

“Clown? I wish Mihoshi were here; she would catch me up without looking like a fool,” she sighed. “It’s not right for a Galaxy Police detective to be so unprepared.”

Damian made a mocking laugh. “Your words, not mine, even though I agree with them. How can you come to Gotham City and not even know about the Joker!”

A fast furious typing sound echoed the cave. The pink haired scientist had turned on the Bat-Computer and started to pull up files from the archives. At once, a picture of a pale, green haired man in a purple tuxedo filled the screen. A rap sheet followed shortly, which Kiyone read with great interest.

“‘The Joker…real name unknown. Aliases: The Red Hood, Liam Distal, Joseph Kerr, and Jack Napier. Known associates: Harleen Quinzelle, Oswald Cobblepot, and Edward Nygma…'” Kiyone muttered to herself as she got caught up on the history of the Clown Prince of Crime. “This is the guy who killed that Jason Todd guy you were telling us about in Japan! He paralyzed Barbara! He almost killed several newborn infants! This monster is reprehensible; worse than nearly any criminal I have ever come across in the far reaches of the galaxy.”

“Thank you for filling us in with information we already know ‘detective,'” Damian rolled his eyes as he took off his domino mask.

“Now that you mention it,” Dick said, starting to get lost in thought. “He has not been seen since the Arkham incident with the Black Glove. I’ve got no doubt he is waiting in the shadows…preparing his next routine. Unless…”

“Unless what?” Kiyone asked.

“Hmm…” Dick was quiet for a few moments. He picked up a newspaper describing the death of an oil sheik and stared at it intently. “I may need to talk to Oberon Sexton. This might be nothing…might be everything.”

Robin cocked an eyebrow. “The writer? Why would you ever need to see him again?”

“I don’t know…there’s something funny about all of this.”

“Well this is all fun and dandy,” Washu announced loudly. “But I am going to need some alone time to dissect this information. Is that okay Caped Crusader?”

“Yeah,” he nodded. “Take as much time as you need. But remember, I’d like you to take a look at Bruce’s corpse before you leave.”

“I haven’t forgotten your request Mister Grayson. I am a woman of my word. Now shoo! Skedaddle!”

Damian started to say something, but Dick held him back. Kiyone looked at the livid look on his face and fought back a grin. “Why don’t you two get me caught up on all of your known criminal associates? I need to be more prepared and not have to rely on Mihoshi for everything.”

“Spoken like a true cop. Say, where are they anyway?” Dick asked. “I haven’t seen Mihoshi, Sasami, or Alfred since we have gotten back.”

“Pennyworth is probably out doing his job as a chauffeur. Lord knows I wouldn’t want that blonde fool staying alone in the penthouse.”

Kiyone was going to argue in her partner’s favor but decided against it. She knew there was no point in fighting the boy, no matter how rude he might be. ‘Still…he did have a point. Mihoshi probably WOULD have destroyed a good deal of the penthouse…’ Kiyone thought to herself. ‘But I would never tell HIM that.’

*TGSTGE*

Once the play concluded, Alfred stood up to give his applause. He quite enjoyed the production and it made him look back on his own days on the stage. He turned over to Sasami and Mihoshi and were surprised to find them smiling, but not applauding like the rest.

“Alfred, did you find the play bad?” Mihoshi asked. “Why are you all clapping?”

“Err…Miss Mihoshi, in America when you find something well done, you applaud it…oh that’s right! The Japanese culture dictates that silence is the highest compliment you can give!” Alfred smiled.

Sasami nodded. “Yes, that’s true. Tenchi’s father told us about that when we saw A Midsummer Night’s Dream last holiday.”

“Well I am just happy that you had a good time,” Alfred said. Suddenly his eyes widened. “Ah, there she is!”

“Who are you talking about?”

“My old friend. Come, I’d love to introduce you to her,” Alfred said, waiting for the two ladies to rise. They made their way down the concert hall and reached an older woman with grey hair. She turned to the man and looked surprised. Clearly this was an impromptu visit. She smiled and hugged the man.

“Alfred Pennywoth, this is a surprise! What brings you my way?” she asked.

Alfred smiled and acknowledged the two ladies he was taking care of. “I am showing these two lovely young ladies around. It is first time in America when there is not chaos and destruction going around and I wished to give them a proper tour of the city. I heard you were involved with the production. I have to say, it turned out marvelous.”

The woman blushed. “Well, I thought it would do some of my patients some good to get some confidence back in their lives. But enough about me, who might you two be?”

Sasami bowed slightly. “My name is Sasami. Thank you for putting on such a fantastic show for us to attend. I had a great time.”

Emulating Sasami, Mihoshi did the same. “Thank you as well. My name is Fir…Mihoshi!”

Leslie Thompkins, catching on to the Japanese nature of the two ladies, bowed in respect. “It is a pleasure to meet you both. My name is Dr. Leslie Thompkins.”

“Wow!” Mihoshi exclaimed. “You are a doctor! What do you do?”

“I presently run a clinic to help young people cope with their disabilities and get readjusted in the world. Some people need a little push…sorry, wheelchair humor. I’ve already said good-bye to my charges or else I would have loved to introduce you to them. However, I do know at least one person Alfred here would love to see.”

“You do?”

“I do. She came to support Wendy Harris, whom I enlisted to help run the stage crew. Ah, there she is now.”

The trio of people, and one cabbit, were directed to a woman wheeling down to where they were from a higher seat. Her red hair and glasses were unmistakable. “BARBARA!” Mihoshi yelled as she ran over to her.

“Oh no,” Alfred whispered. “This cannot end well for Master Dick.”

The look the bespectacled Gordon gave the blonde detective could be described as a mix of shock and horror. Clearly this was the last place she ever expected to see any of the Masaki Clan.

“Mi…Mihoshi! It’s…good to see you again! Please…I can’t breathe!” Barbara wheezed.

“Barbara I can’t believe that I get to see you! I heard you and Dick were fighting! I hope you are okay!”

“You heard all that?” she asked cooly, giving a side glance to Alfred, who looked incredibly guilty. She also noted the younger Jurain princess. “Little Sasami, I am pleased to see you again,” she said with a bow.

“Hello to you too Miss Barbara! I’m sorry for Mihoshi; she knows better than to pry.”

The blonde haired detective looked flustered and bowed again. “I was being rude wasn’t I? I’m so so so sorrrrrry!”

“It’s okay Mihoshi…aren’t you going to greet me Alfred?” Barbara asked playfully. Though she had no reason to be angry at the man, she knew that he knew that she did not like this situation.

“Miss Gordon, I’m outraged that you would say such a thing!” he responded in a composed form. “It has been far too long.”

“Indeed it has. Leslie, the show was great. Thank you for inviting me.”

The kind woman smiled in return. “Thank you for supporting Wendy. She seems to have gotten a bit more determined since her accident, thanks no small part to you.”

Barbara sighed and grinned. “She’ll find her place soon. I know it. Mind if I step in with this dashing young man and his two lady friends?”

Leslie chuckled and said her farewells to the trio. When she left, Barbara adopted a serious look. “She’s here too, isn’t she?”

Alfred gulped.

*TGSTGE*

Kiyone was getting a good history lesson by Dick Grayson in the living room of the Wayne Penthouse. The skylight was filling the room with light. While Washu was far underneath the ground, they were far above several of the buildings that surrounded it. Kiyone found the various costumed criminals and cases rather interesting. It really was like something out of one of Sasami’s shojo mangas about magical girls.

The detective was sharp enough to see that she was not the only one entertained by this discussion. Damian was deeply involved in the conversation, asking even more questions than Kiyone was at times. It reminded her that he really was a boy dealing with the loss of a parent, abet one whom he only knew personally for about a month at most. It really humanized him and caused her to sympathize with him.

“So Joker up and kidnapped Robin and forced him to watch him kill Christmas shoppers?” Kiyone asked with great interest. “That sounds terrible! How did he get out?”

“A Marx Brothers quote…do you have any idea who they are?” Dick asked, laughing to himself. “Pair of comedians…I’ll have Alfred pull out some of their work. It might be a nice distraction.”

“Please,” Damian scoffed. “All that story shows is that Drake was a fool for hopping into a strange car without thinking.”

“Think about what would have happened if he didn’t have that lapse in judgement,” Kiyone countered. “He stopped that madman from going on a worse killing spree than what he did!”

“*tt* Details, details!”

It had been about two hours into the conversation when Kiyone decided to ask a lingering question that was weighing on her mind. “Alfred briefly told us about what happened before the Crisis, but perhaps you can shed some light on this: what IS the Black Glove?”

Dick adopted a serious look. He sunk into his chair and considered his words carefully. “That’s a loaded question. You see, the Black Glove can be either a person or a group…”

Kiyone tilted her head in confusion. “I don’t follow…yet. Are the two related?”

“Oh yes, they are. The Black Glove is a group of corrupt gamblers who meet once a year to gamble on human lives, or at least that’s how Alfred put it. Tim and I were busy fighting the Club of Villains, a bunch of criminals who were either part of the Black Glove or hired by them…it was never really made clear,” Dick explained. “Two of the members, a scorpion woman and a hunchback named Le Bosseu tried to lobotomize me to keep me out of the picture.”

“You said that when we first met,” Kiyone said as realization dawned upon her.

He nodded. “The other members aren’t really important except for their leader: Doctor Hurt. He’s the link between the two organizations and the man who adopted the name Black Glove as his own.”

“I get it now!” Kiyone interjected. “So that’s the guy who is responsible for hiring that Sombrero guy to ruin Wayne Manor!”

“Give the girl a prize!” Robin taunted. “Seriously, are you going to let Grayson finish or are you going to butt in every two seconds?”

“Damian, stop being rude!” Dick remonstrated.

“It’s okay Dick,” Kiyone agreed. “He’s right. Please continue.”

“Well,” the former circus acrobat tried to remember his place. “Hurt set up a whole elaborate trap designed to break Batman. However, he didn’t count on two things: Bruce’s determination and the Joker.”

Kiyone cocked and eyebrow but did not say anything. “Hurt tried to hire the Joker as a servant to kill Bruce in his name, but all that did was offend him. I don’t know the details of the conversation, but I gather it wasn’t pretty. Here’s the kicker: Alfred said that he was going around claiming to be Bruce’s father.”

“What?!”

“*tt* Not even five minutes,” Damian sighed to nobody in particular. The two conversing adults ignored the interjection.

“I know. We haven’t heard anything from him since they first battled right before the Crisis. Right after that, Bruce went to investigate Orion’s death which lead to his…his death.”

“Could he be involved somehow?”

“I’m not ruling out anything,” Dick stared out the window deep in thought. “But there is nothing that links him here yet.”

As the words left his lips, a door slammed open, which caused the blue hair detective to jump. The familiar young form of Washu Hakubi was panting in the doorway.

“You…you need a better elevator,” Washu panted.

“Did you find anything of valuable, harlot?”

“I can’t say to be sure, but come on down Dumb Dumb. You all need to see this!”

Dick managed to smile to himself before he adopted his serious role yet again. Unlike Barbara, he found their company enjoyable. These aliens were amusing yet very grounded. It brought back good memories of when he first met Kori, the aforementioned alien princess. “Lead the way Great Gazoo!”

*TGSTGE*

“I want to preface this with a warning,” Washu explained and the four people crowded around the Bat-Computer. “What you are going to witness is incredibly disjointed and disturbing. Whatever happened to our little piggy did a number on his view on life. He remembers his past in fragments…and barely coherent ones at that. This entire time I have been trying to put his thoughts in a narrative order.”

“Well if anyone could have done it in this short of time, it had to have been the greatest scientific genius in the universe,” Dick smiled.

“Don’t indulge her Grayson!”

Washu batted her eyelashes at Dick, who laughed uncomfortably. “No, don’t stop indulging me Mr. Grayson!”

The eyebrows of Kiyone Makibi started to twitch. It started in low, then it started to grow. “*cough* I thought you had something to show us?”

“Always business with you Kiyone. The Galaxy Police is lucky to have you!” Washu laughed it off. “No seriously Dickie, you can tell me more later,” she whispered with a wink, causing Damian and Dick to shudder.

“Sit back and relax kids. In all my years I have never met a more depraved individual. Now you get to know why! Presenting in HD Professor Pyg: Who He Is and How He Came to Be!”

With the press of a button, a series of small clips started to play. The first clip showed a blurred face of a woman talking to him. She looked middle age with dark hair, but it was hard to tell. Clearly it was straining the Professor to think that far back.

“Can you…Lazlo the circus…Kolossal…” the mystery woman was telling him.

“Again, this is going to be very fragmented and disjointed,” Washu explained. “Hmm? What’s wrong Dick?”

Dick was looking intently at the woman. “That woman…she reminds me of someone…I wish I could see her face…”

“Who do you think she is?” Kiyone asked, trying to take in as much information as she could.

“She reminds me of this woman named Kathy Kane. She was a circus performer who dressed up as Batwoman for awhile. Her and Bruce were very serious, but she died a few years back…”

“Are you sure about that?” Washu asked. “That may be important.”

The young man bit his lip and stared intently at the woman. “I’m not sure Washu. Does this woman appear again?” The pink haired scientist shook her head in response. “Then it’s not important…yet.”

The scene then changed to a dark office. The room was blurry except a bright red symbol. It looked like a spider-web with an eye in the center.

“That,” Washu pointed out. “Is the symbol for Spyral, according to Damian’s father’s databases. There wasn’t much on there but from what I gather it’s some kind of offshoot of Britain’s MI6 I believe.”

“Wait, that would make him a spy then!” Kiyone exclaimed. “I only really watch court tv here and that name has been banded about!”

Damian grunted. “That idiot: a spy? I can’t see it…not after what he did to Sasha.”

“Keep watching. We are about to come to the climax I believe…”

All eyes returned to the screen. They were viewing a first person perspective of the man who would be Pyg running down corridor after corridor. Another voice was heard, this time a male, but it was far clearer than that of the woman.

“Agent Valentin, descend the Spyral Sink! You…breathe deep and then…see what is beyond…door!”

The comment caused Kiyone to snap her fingers. ” Spyral sink! He was ranting on about that when we interrogated him!”

Dick nodded approvingly while not taking his eyes off the monitor. “Good observation Detective.”

The screen suddenly flashed white and a most interesting sight appeared: a series of wires made into the shape of a woman. It was the most clear image thus far and it overpowered the vision of the observers. At this point, Lazlo Valentin could be heard whispering “Mommy…Mommy I’m sorry…I’ll be better…”

“Your pharmaceutical agents work Agent Valentin! See how you fade away…”

“I need a bad operation…I need to operate!”

“This is how you escape the Labyrinth of Dedalus! Embrace your true nature!” the disembodied voice laughed.

There was no commentary now, just horror and pity. Though it was unsaid, they all realized Professor Pyg was not born this way, but created by whomever was speaking to the former Agent of Spyral.

“Lazlo Valentin is it?” a new voice spoke. The picture changed to a dark haired man in a white suit. He was not as blurry as the woman but not as clear as the wire mother.

“Blessed is the ground which the worms crawl…” the voice of Valentin replied.

“And so they shall. I’ve heard so many things about you…my cartel has use for you…”

The group watched as various images played on the screen. Hands were adjusting a test tube…women were being forced to drink substances…the same hands creating a skin like material…and finally an image of several women lined up in a row.

“Soon my dollies will be perfect! I can make you more than human…”

“I have no doubt of your work. It is a masterpiece by design!” the dark haired man was saying. “You need to give a signature to this piece Valentin. How will you sign it?”

“My Mommy made of nails tells me all! It sees me not as a pig to be slaughtered but a pig to slaughter!” The screen showed his “mommy made of nails again.” The man was in view, but upside down now. He was laughing.

“Through your crucifixion, you will be absolved of your freedom, absolved of the burdens of life! Now and forever more, you will be Pyg!” the man gloated. “Now that you are impure, we can outline your vision for Gotham!”

It was here that the video stopped, leaving the room deathly silent. Damian looked angry and started to crack his knuckles, Dick tapped his fingers to his chin, Kiyone looked like she was trying to keep herself together, and Washu looked as though all color had left the world.

“That man had to have been El Penitente,” Kiyone whispered. “He mentioned a cartel…”

“It’s worse than that, detective,” Batman replied. He motioned to Washu to let him sit down at the computer, which she obliged. He pulled up three pictures: one of the dark haired man, one of Bruce’s father, and one of an old newspaper clipping discussing a missing doctor…a doctor named Hurt. “Look at them; Dr. Hurt is El Penitente…or maybe was.”

“We have no idea how long ago this conversation happened,” Washu explained. “It might have been right before you first encountered him or before your little Black Glove incident. Do you have any confirmation that the man died fighting against Bruce?”

“None whatsoever. It’s an old saying, but unless there is a body, always consider them alive.”

“Why is nobody getting to the real issue: we learned NOTHING!” Damian yelled angrily. “You were supposed to give us a clue or anything that could help us, but you found nothing! Who cares about Spyral or his backstory, it does not change that we have no idea what that bloated bufoon’s endgame was!”

Dick got up and turned toward him. “Damian, calm down and think! We know he is in league with the Black Glove! We know that his ‘wire mommy’ is a weakness we can exploit! We can still collect the old one from police headquarters! All we have to do is ask Jim…”

“Ask him what?” a familiar female voice asked. From the shadows of the Bat-Bunker came the familiar faces of Alfred, Mihoshi, Ryo-Ohki, and Sasami. Trailing behind them was the one face Dick was not expecting: Barbara.

“Babs.”

“You’ve got a lot of nerve Mr. Grayson!” Barbara yelled as she rolled up to him. “You kick me out of the cave and yet don’t keep in touch at all! You don’t even ask for my help with this matter, but go to a known intergalactic mad scientist!”

“She’s got you there Sonny Jim,” Washu shrugged. “How are you doing Barbara? Long time!”

“How does it look like I’m doing Hakubi?” Barbara shot her a look on contempt.

Washu jumped back slightly. “Yikes! I think we should leave those two to themselves. Come on guys and gals. Perhaps Alfred here can whip up some lunch.”

“Yes…that seems appropriate.”

All of the occupants in the Bat-Bunker, Damian included, started to move away from the two quarreling people. Everyone, that is, except Mihoshi.

“I know that guy!” Mihoshi said, pointing to the computer screen. All eyes fell on her.

“Mihoshi, how could you possibly know who that is? That man is presumed dead.”

“But Kiyone, I met him! Well, actually Ryoko met him, I only saw him talking to her.”

“Mihoshi, I need to ask you a very serious question,” Kiyone asked her, knowing full well that all of the denizens in the Bat-Bunker were acknowledging her. “Where did this happen?”

“At the Fortress of Solitude! Ask Ryoko, she would know better than I would!”

Dick gave Washu a look. “Can you contact her? It’s not that late in Japan right now…in fact it’s early morning there.”

A door suddenly appeared in the center of the room. The pink haired scientist bowed to everyone and opened it up. The group of people looked perplexed as they wondered whether Mihoshi Kuramitsu might have stumbled upon the man behind the Pyg or if she was deceiving herself.

*TGSTGE*

Ayeka and Ryoko lounged on the couch watching their soap opera. It was a dull day to be sure, since Tenchi had to return to school, but this made it all worth it. A plate of rice cakes sat between the two women and they sat back and relaxed their cares away.

“You know something Ayeka, without the others here, it is actually easier to do chores.”

“I know exactly what you mean Miss Ryoko. Here it is, midday, and we have finished our daily routine. I’m sure if Mihoshi or Washu were here, they would bungle it all up.”

“I’ll drink to that,” Ryoko laughed. She took a gulp of her tea and sighed. “Still, this doesn’t taste as good as Sasami’s tea.”

Ayeka hung her head in shame. “And I’m so lonely! Lord Tenchi is at school, the others are in America, Father is working, and Lord Yosho is tending to the shrine! Do we do ANYTHING to pass the time besides argue Miss Ryoko?”

The spiky haired woman thought about it for a minute and rubbed her head. “I refuse to believe that we do NOTHING but argue! No, I can’t accept that. Let’s think for a minute here, what do we do all day?”

“Flirt.”

“Fight.”

“Chores.”

“Avoid chores.”

“Bathe,” both women said at the same time. They turned their heads down dejectedly at their tea glasses.

“This just won’t do Miss Ryoko! We need a hobby…or something fun to pass the time!”

“We now return to Popoko!” the television announcer spoke through the television. At once, the two lamenting ladies returned to their previous positions and continued to watch their show in peace.

“‘scuse me!” an all too familiar voice announced from behind them. Ayeka and Ryoko turned around to see Washu standing next to the couch with her hands on her hips. “I know you two are so ‘busy’ but I have need for Ryoko.”

“Now wait just a damn minute Washu!” Ryoko got up and growled. “Why do you need me help, and why are you here in Japan?!”

Ayeka got up and joined her rival. “Miss Washu, did something happen to Sasami?!”

The scientist held her hands up to calm them down. “Hold your horses princess! We just need Ryoko to identify a person and then we can have her back here as a productive member of the house!”

“Why you…” Ryoko boiled. She sighed and relented. “Fine, but you owe me one! This show is starting to get good!”

“Surrrrre it is. Tootles!”

In an instant, Lady Ayeka Jurai was all alone. She looked around the house and at the remaining tea cup and sighed. “Now I have nobody to argue with either…”

*TGSTGE*

“So how did it go Damian?” Sasami pried curiously.

Alfred had left the group to prepare some tea once Dick and Barbara started arguing. Kiyone was catching Mihoshi up on the situation as best she could, leaving Damian and Sasami to talk amongst themselves.

“*tt* How should I know? All we have learned is that Professor Pyg needs to be put down like a horse with a broken leg.”

Sasami looked horrified at the response the boy gave her. “That is a terrible thing to say! I thought you liked animals!”

“What I like or dislike is inconsequential. It is an Earth saying, nothing more.”

“But that’s still a mean thing to say about a person,” Sasami expressed her concern. Damian gave her a look of anger and regret.

“You’ve never met that monster. He disfigured a girl no older than…well regardless!” Damian bluntly put it. “I failed to save her when I promised to! Whoever that man was is gone. All traces of humanity have been ebbed away by El Penitente and that labyrinth fool! When you experience such things Princess, then you can tell me when something is mean!”

The blue haired girl put a hand to her mouth and tears started to flow. Damian, clearly not expecting this, reluctantly patted her back. “I’m sorry…I wasn’t trying to make you cry. This planet does not always have kind natured fools like that Masaki fellow you cling to. I should know; I’m one of them.”

Sasami sniffed her nose and stared deeply in his eyes. “You are only what you believe yourself to be Damian! Just because something hurts today doesn’t mean you should bring it into tomorrow!”

At once a lightbulb went of in the young Jurain’s head. “Have you ever seen the musical Annie?”

Damian looked offended by the question. “What purpose would an heir to the Al-Ghul family have to watch a musical about a red headed orphan?”

“You could learn a lot from it Damian.”

He forced a laugh. “What; how to do a box step?”

“The message of the play is that you have to find hope in every situation,” Sasami explained. “The sky might be grey and you might feel lonely, but good things will come! Tomorrow; it’s only a day away!”

The child assassin blinked a few times. “What are you talking about? Why can’t you just make sense?!”

“I’m saying cheer up and look on the bright side of things!” the Princess smiled. “You have to think of the good things you have and remember that no matter how bad it might be, it’ll pick up!”

“Why should I believe you, girl?” Damian asked. “Why should I listen to a stupid song from a stupid play?”

“Because silly, Professor Pyg might be a bad guy, but you’re not! You tried to save that girl! You are a hero Damian, don’t let anyone say otherwise! Mr. Grayson really brings the best out in you!”

“Yes,” Damian chuckled. “Yes he does.”

“Do you like being Robin Damian?” Sasami asked curiously.

Damian thought about it for a minute. Between admitting that Grayson was a worthy mentor and this question, what was Sasami driving at.

“Being Robin is the best thing about my life,” Damian explained with a sigh, staring at his domino mask. “I never thought about this life, but this truly is the path I have chosen for myself. I have Grayson and Pennyworth to thank for that.”

“See?” Sasami jumped up excitedly. “It got better for you Damian! Just like before! You need to give yourself more credit buddy!”

“What is it about you?” Damian began. “That makes it near impossible to brood around?”

Sasami shrugged and smiled again. This time, however, it was returned by a ten year old boy in a cape…a boy who truly smiled for the first time.