Reply To: The Genius Scientist and the God of Evil: Universe/DC Comics

Forums Fan Stuff Fanfiction The Genius Scientist and the God of Evil: Universe/DC Comics Reply To: The Genius Scientist and the God of Evil: Universe/DC Comics

drillmaster
    Ch. 19: No Need for Time Masters

“This is…” Washu Hakubi struggled to find the proper words. “This is…this is fantastic!”

Washu stared around the Justice League Watchtower in awe. She had heard stories of the technology that powered the League’s space base, but had never gotten the chance to see any of it in person. It was a memorable experience for the Greatest Scientific Genius in the Galaxy.

“Bruce helped fund the building a few years back,” Superman was explaining to her. “Between Wayne Enterprises and Star Labs, we managed to get her operational and have been making modifications to it ever since.”

“Technology is always advancing Mr. Kent,” Washu nodded. “So when do I get to meet these ‘Time Masters’ that you have picked out?”

“They are in the meeting room,” Superman pressed a button on a door. It slid open and the two continued on their way. “It’s just down this hallway.”

“How many people are we bringing back in time anyway?” the scientist pried.

“Counting us? Five people and one robot.”

“Fascinating.”

The pair stopped at a double sided door that clearly led into a meeting room. After entering in a combination, Superman allowed Washu to enter before him. The scientist noted that his farm boy manners really added to his charm as the world’s premiere hero. ‘That Lois Lane is sure lucky,’ she thought to herself.

The room was indeed filled with three people who Washu had never laid eyes on before, though she did recognize one of the uniforms. All three of the people were men, and two of them had brown hair. The lone blonde wore a yellow visor and was adorned in blue and gold. Hovering over him was a little golden robot that seemed to look more like a little ship than humanoid. To his left was a man wearing a simple green and red zip up jump suit. It amused Washu to see a hint of stubble on his chin. She did not know why it amused her, but it seemed worth noting. The last individual wore a uniform she knew right off the bat: he was a member of the famous Green Lantern Corps.

“Gentlemen, I’d like you all to meet Professor Washu Hakubi. She is the one who picked up on the idea that Bruce’s corpse was actually a genetic clone created by Darkseid,” Superman announced to the collective. He acknowledged the blonde haired man. “This is Booster Gold, and his companion Skeets.” He then moved on to the Green Lantern. “This is Hal Jordan, the first of three Green Lanters assigned to protect our Solar System.” Lastly, he pointed to the final man. “And this is our resident time travel expert: Rip Hunter.”

Washu simply bowed at the group. “How do you all do? It is an honor to be working with you.”

“Hakubi? As in the most famous mad scientist in the galaxy?” Booster Gold freaked out.

An eyebrow shot up. “You’ve heard of me?” she asked curiously.

“Pardon me Ma’am,” the robot known as Skeets responded. “Booster Gold, greatest hero of all time, is actually from the future who got sent to the past. He is aware of various bits of Earth history that, as of right now, are unknown to you.”

“Really now?” Washu pried. “What do I do in the future?”

“You are the woman directly responsible for opening our planet up to the Juraian network, before nearly causing an intergalactic upset involving a dimensional bazooka and the Galaxy Police!” Booster exclaimed. “You escaped into the far reaches of space for years, but it turned out that you had just snuck back into your subspace lab. You are a legend in the scientific circles!”

Hal projected a giant green hand and willed it to point at Washu. “That’s where I have heard about you! Barbara Gordon asked John Stewart to look into you! He found a lot of disturbing things in your records! Didn’t you build a galaxy destroying and…”

“Details, details…” Washu hand waved it while cutting him off. “Besides, Barbara and I are on the same page now. There is nothing to worry about. Now, Mr. Hunter, do you have anything you want to add about this?”

“Honestly, no. I could care less about your reputation in the future or the past. All I know is that I picked up on you traveling through time not that long ago. You went back to Tokyo to stop some kind of temporal anomaly, right?”

Washu blinked in shock. “How did you…?”

“I make time my business Miss Hakubi,” Rip shrugged. “It’s what I do.”

“So…?”

“No, I could honestly care less about the politics of the Planet Jurai and the power they wield. You stopped the entity known as Kain, that’s all I need to know.”

“Way to make it sound dull,” Washu pouted. “It was hard work building that time machine and keeping the timeline together.”

“Why DID you have a time machine anyway?” Hal asked suspiciously.

She batted her eyelashes at the man. “Oh, why are you questioning little old me Mr. Jordan? Just because I was curious about the lateral nature and constant fluctuation of time doesn’t mean I’m a bad girl!”

“Maam, I would like to point out that you WERE charged for crimes against the galaxy, despite them being pardoned in the Juraian Incident with Prince Yosho,” Skeets added.

“Not. Helping.”

Superman gave a loud cough to call attention back to the matter at hand. “Now that we are all introduced, we have work to do. Earlier today, Professor Hakubi and I visited Bluddhaven to examine the Command D bunker. Professor, would you like to explain what we found there?”

The pink haired girl summoned her computer and began to type. After a moment, an image projected into the middle of the table. “It has been proven that time is lateral, meaning we can move both back in time and forward. Though it is possible to alter the time stream, the tampering will inevitably become reconciled and shown in the original timeline,” she explained. “As such, Bruce Wayne has always been destined to go back in time. In addition, theories left by Bruce Wayne himself posit that New Gods like Darkseid are literal living archetypes that affect the reality that we live in. By confronting Darkseid, Batman literally became the archetype lone hero standing up to evil. However, that is not all that he became.”

Washu drew a line from the center most point of the image all the way to the other side. “He has also become the archetypal time traveler. If he did not get sent back in time, we might have been able to crack the time stream.”

“So back it up,” Booster Gold scratched his head. “By going back in time, Batman basically is responsible for us going back in time to bring him back? That sounds…confusing.”

“I can break it down for you in simpler terms sir,” Skeets offered.

“Don’t bother. So if you gathered us all together, there must be something you haven’t gotten to yet. What’s the bad news?” Rip asked.

“By at tuning my supervision to a frequency discovered by Professor Hakubi, we found a trail of energy leading straight into the past. We think it is literally leading into prehistoric times,” Superman announced. “What the Professor is concerned with is that the Omega Energy is actually building up within Bruce until his body cannot handle it anymore.”

“So basically, boom?” Booster flashed his hands dramatically.

Washu nodded grimly. “The hope is that we can get to him before he gets back to our time and takes us all out.”

“Sounds like a typical weekday,” Hal sniggered. “Are we doing this or not?”

“I’m driving Rip’s time machine!” Booster shouted.

“No you’re not!”

“Okay, then shot gun!”

Washu blinked and shook her head. “You Americans are weird.”

*TGSTGE*

The spherical pod landed in the rocky mountain area gracefully. It opened up and one by one it’s occupants stepped out. Looking around, Booster Gold let out a low whistle.

“Wow, prehistoric times, eh?” He said in awe. “I’ve got to say, this is a first.”

“You get used to it,” Rip shrugged. “He should be around here. I’m staying with the ship.”

“Look over there!” Washu pointed to an object in the distance. “Is that a rocket?”

The group moved over to the machine and looked it over. “We sent this…during the Crisis,” Superman whispered. “I guess this confirms Darkseid’s involvement. But we’ve got a problem. He isn’t here.”

“How can you tell?” Hal asked.

“I can’t hear his heartbeat. There is only one heartbeat that I am familiar with and it makes sense.”

“Who?”

“Vandal Savage. He is an immortal caveman who we have dealt with in the past,” he explained. “But he’s not the issue here. The Omega Trail has gone cold.”

“Well since he’s not in the past, that can only mean one thing! He went to the future!” Washu announced with a laugh.

“You are brilliant Washu!” Her A doll popped up, much to the bewilderment of the others.

“Your genius knows no bounds Washu!” The B doll chimed in.

“What…what was that?” Booster asked after a moment.

“And how does that make you a genius? Everything from this point on HAS to be the future!” Hal pointed out angrily.

“Details, details…” Washu dismissed it. “Honestly, I starting to think old Brucie is in over his head.”

“I wouldn’t be so sure. Surviving is what he does, and I don’t know anyone more prepared than he is,” Superman affirmed.

“So I hear. The man was paranoid enough to dress in a purple and yellow costume while drugged up using a back up personality he developed just for that occasion,” Washu shrugged. “I guess if he can do that then he can do anything.”

“Back up,” Booster started to laugh. “He wore WHAT now?”

“Save it for later Booster!” Rip yelled from the ship. “I’ve managed to pick up the Omega Trail all the way to the 64th Century! I think this is our only chance before he goes back to the present!”

“64th Century?!” Hal spouted out.

Washu smiled. “This is proving to be one of the best days of my life!”

Hal lifted an eyebrow underneath his green mask. “What makes you say that?”

“She’s a woman of science, Mister Jordan,” Skeets replied. “No doubt the thrill of seeing the unknown has piqued her curiosity.”

“He’s right! It’s not every day I get to see the dawn of a planet and the future of it! Think of the science!”

“Think of the…” Hal started to retort.

“Am I just gonna keep this thing on idle or are we going to drive?!”

*TGSTGE*

When the group arrived to their next destination, they discovered themselves in a place that was sterile and dark. Washu could not help but look around and take in all of the advancements the planet had undertaken.

“THIS is Earth? This looks more like my lab!”

“This is a very important piece of history. Welcome to the Vanishing Point!” Rip announced.

“What’s so special about it?” Hal asked grumpily.

“This is the last remaining place on the planet before the universe implodes on itself. Humanity has been long extinct, but several archivists remain to chronicle the final moments of time,” Rip elaborated. “We have maybe ten minutes left before the universe crumbles away. If Bruce is here, we need to find him quickly.”

“The local timeline will end in nine minutes and twenty seconds,” a cold sterile voice called out from the station. A tall black being stepped out. He had two little ears and a single red glowing eye. “You must vacate this station.”

“Why bother archiving if the universe is going to die?” Washu asked.

The archivist stopped and stared at the woman intently. “It was a command from the creator of the bioarchival bush robots. All of the information of this galaxy in this timeline will be stored in a black hole for protection.”

“Genius! I would have done the same thing!”

“I know Washu Hakubi.”

The comment took Washu back. “How…how did you know my name?”

“This is a map of all time and space,” the archivist willed a giant tapestry of lines in front of the group. “Each line represents a new timeline that has been created from a certain event. Each event causes changes to that current time line. In this timeline, the residents of the Masaki household play a larger part of this universe’s history. In this parallel timeline, you may not even exist at all. In this third parallel timeline, you may exist but Superman may not. In each world a Vanishing Point will exist. Though it may differ in appearance, its function remains universal.”

“Did…did you get all of that?” Rip asked. “This lines up with my own research into the time stream.”

“As does my own,” Superman nodded. “So in the timeline that we are presently in, Professor Washu has…”

“My god, I created you,” Washu whispered.

“You are correct in the idea that this version of Vanishing Point was indeed a byproduct of your design,” the architect pointed out. “But you did not create me. Nor have you created the hyperfauna that has infested the station. The local time line will end in seven minutes and forty seconds.”

“Hyperfauna?” Washu asked.

“Darkseid’s weapon of death,” Superman grimaced. “Archivist, where is the hyperfauna? Where is Bruce Wayne?!”

“The hyperfauna? It is self contained. Inside of me,” the archivist spoke softly. “Forgive me for what I must do.”

With that a bubble surrounded the visitors from the 21st Century. Using all of their might, Hal Jordan and Superman tried to beat down the force field. Washu, however, started typing furiously on her computer.

“I would not do that Creator Hakubi. You need to trust me,” the archivist said. The blank black face faded away to reveal a human male with dark black hair. “You have no idea what I have had to do to get to this point.”

“Bruce, you can’t!” Superman yelled. “Darkseid turned you into a trap! If you return to the 21st Century, we will all die!”

“You need to trust me,” Bruce whispered as he walked into Rip’s time machine.

“NO!” Rip yelled. “We are all damned here! We have no way of getting back now! Damn it!”

“Language Rip!” Superman stopped before continuing to punch the bubble they were trapped in.

“This may appear hopeless sirs and madame, but Batman DID say to trust him!” Skeets pointed out.

Booster hit his head on the wall of the bubble. “Well Professor, you apparently created this technology. Can’t you, I don’t know, manipulate it or open it up?”

“I’m trying!” Washu hurriedly told him. “I may have had a hand in this station’s design, but I haven’t done that yet! I…wait…”

“What?” Jordan inquired, stopping his green fist from pounding the wall.

“This design is similar to my own time machine. I…I think Batman is using the Vanishing Point to create a second time machine!”

“That Batman,” Booster chuckled. “Is there anything he isn’t prepared for?”

“Mister Hunter,” Washu stepped aside. “The controls are starting to form. Would you like to take the helm of my apparent greatest work?”

“I’d be honored to. Fasten your seat belts boys and girl, we are about to experience the big All Over!”

With that, the universe died.

*TGSTGE*

The time capsule arrived in a mess.

From a giant gorilla to an orange skinned alien princess, the members of the Justice League were thrown around the Hall of Justice like they were rag-dolls. However, it was apparent the fight was not over yet as two lone figures remained to confront a darker, scarier Batman.

“The bio archivist suit…it’s changed,” Booster observed.

“A Batman of death,” Superman growled. “Not my kind of Batman at all.”

“I took a big gamble here,” the rough voice of Bruce Wayne rang out from the suit. “I had no way of beating you at the end of time. But here? In a time where a Kryptonian and an Amazonian princess fight for justice? You are just target practice.”

“No!” The suit bellowed in a dark growl, similar to Darkseid himself. “You can’t!”

“After what we just went through,” Hal cracked his knuckles. “You bet your ass we will.”

“Language!” Superman yelled as he flew out of the time bubble to land a punch. The body of the Dark Knight flew back into the wall.

Of the two people still standing, the woman was the first to move. She wore a familiar tiara: Wonder Woman of Themyscera. The combined might of Superman and Wonder Woman was enough to keep Bruce pinned down.

“We’ve got to separate the suit from him!” Rip shouted. “That’s where the hyperfauna is!”

The other figure, who Washu recognized as Tim Drake shook his head worriedly. “It’ll kill him!”

“Wait!” Washu snapped her fingers. “If I built the technology that the suit is based on, it may have the failsafes I typically install!”

“What?!” Booster freaked out. “You are saying this NOW?!”

“Cut me some slack! Pass phrase: Washu is a genius!”

“Washu is all knowing!” Doll A chimed in.

“Washu is number one!” Its twin completed.

Bruce’s body began to shake. Using the opportunity, Superman grabbed and pulled the armor off of him. With one final pull, the archivist’s remains snapped off the bloody skin of Batman. As he slunk to the floor, Bruce weakly pointed to the time machine. “Send it back! It’ll blow itself up and get it out of here!”

The greatest heroes of the age obliged the World’s Greatest Detective. The hyperfauna started to scream in pain. “Need to adapt! Need to escape! For Darkseid!”

Shifting its shape, the creature now resembled a giant bat as the time sphere vanished from Hall. Washu blinked and put the pieces together.

“So THAT is the origin of Barbatos…which means The 99 Fiends are actually worshiping Darkseid. Pretty crazy, eh?” Washu turned to see Bruce’s limp body on the floor. She rushed over and started typing on her computer.

“It’s no use. He’s absorbed too much Omega Energy. By being here, Bruce Wayne is slowing destroying time itself,” Rip hung his head low.

“I just need to siphon the Energy out and…” Washu started but Rip shook his head.

“We can’t do that.”

“He’s right,” Superman looked grave. “The only way to release the Omega Energy is for Bruce to cease living.”

“No! You can’t be serious!”

“He is,” Wonder Woman said, scooping up the body. “He killed Darkseid and must suffer for it. For striking down a New God, Bruce Wayne must die!”

Washu stared at the body and felt incredibly helpless. She had made it a point of pride to always keep her word to those she gave it to. Yet here she was, unable to give even the slightest aid to a man she had never met but knew so much about.

She thought about Barbara, whom she finally regained her trust. How would she feel if she couldn’t even keep her promise?

She thought about Alfred and the state he would be in if his charge had died after regaining hope of his revival.

Finally, she thought about Damian and Dick, who needed this more than any of them combined. She could not face the two knowing that they would blame her for failing.

“Hey,” Superman nudged her, picking up on her emotions. “Trust me.”

With that, he gave a wink.

The Kryptonian led the group of conscious heroes outside to a decorative pool of water. Wonder Woman lowered the lifeless body of Bruce Wayne into the water and turned to Superman. With all of his might, Superman began to blow on the water.

Washu gasped. Before her eyes, the water began to freeze solid. She hit herself on the head, realization setting in. “You’re stopping his heart then restarting it! Why didn’t I think of that?”

“You may be the Greatest Scientific Genius in the Universe,” Booster grinned. “But even you have nothing in the Man of Steel.”

She smiled and gave him a playful punch. Just then, a loud, painful cough was heard. Booster and Washu returned their attention to Bruce, who had coughed up a large amount of black bile.

“Give him this,” Tim said, holding up the famous cape and cowl of the Caped Crusader. “Tell him to save Gotham.”

With that, the Dark Knight rose to his feet. He wiped away the blood and the bile from his mouth and observed his surroundings.

“Darkseid…” Bruce whispered.

“Is gone Bruce,” Superman told his friend. “You did it. You’re back!”

“No…he’s trying to reincarnate into the doctor…Doctor Hurt,” he panted.

“Makes sense,” Washu frowned. “Seems like he is behind every other thing that has crossed our paths.”

Bruce eyed the pink haired girl. “Why are you here?”

“Don’t you want to know who I am?” Washu raised an eyebrow.

“I know who you are Professor Hakubi. When I merged with the archivist, I briefly saw everything that has happened and will happen. What I don’t know is how you came to be here.”

“We don’t have time for explanations Bruce!” Tim interjected. “The Joker is loose and Gotham had been put on quarantine! Something is driving all of the citizens crazy!”

“It’s Pyg’s viral narcotic,” Washu scowled. “They’ve made their move. What do you say Batman? Need a lift back to stately Wayne Manor?” The young woman motioned to a door she created using her subspace computer.

“Hhh,” Bruce narrowed his eyes and donned his cape and cowl. “Fill me in on the way. Tim, help take control of the city. The night’s not over yet.”

The Dark Knight and the Genius Scientist stepped through the doorway into the fireplace of Wayne Manor where they found Doctor Hurt lying on the floor.

“Turn around Doctor!” Washu announced theatrically.

Batman stepped out triumphantly and took his place over the imposter Thomas Wayne. “…it’s All Over!”

Doctor Hurt’s worst fear had come true: Bruce Wayne had returned and had come for him.